cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway bar issues

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
I installed an upgraded roadmaster swaybar on my p30 pos. After torquing everything down the swaybar bushings seem deformed (see pics). Will it operate like this? I feel like no matter what i do this thing just doesnt sit right. The original swaybar had the exact same condition. Im at a loss with this thing.

C6477925-30D5-46B0-8F81-57B358D34FFD.jpeg

1993 fleetwood coronado 30โ€™ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did
23 REPLIES 23

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Have you measured the distance between the rubber bump stop and the crossmember. min of 1.5 inches?
I see blue springs. Are they variable rate replacements? If they are, was the rig weighed prior to ordering? if not variable rate, you need to install the air bags which rig should have had when new.

Actually, the measurement is made between the upper control arm and what the metal rubber bump stop sits on (iron to iron) ignoring the rubber bumper. The measurement also must be made perpendicular to the upper control arm.

That final measurement is then used to determine the degree setting for alignment.

For the the P-30 series front air bags...

With respect to ride height there is a lot of confusion it's measurement. The service manual states no mention of actual load only the rating of the axle. This will be in the motorhome (mine is on closet door GVWR 4880lb front axle).

When measuring the front you measure the distance between the upper control arm and the base of where the control arm bumper sits (iron to iron) ignore the rubber bumper. It must also be measured with the max psi from manual (mine is 4880lb front axle-50psi max OEM bags). Some have said to measure from the top of the bumper to the upper control arm. This is incorrect. It must also be perpendicular to the upper control arm when measuring.

Once measured that measurement is used it to compare in the service alignment graph to decide which degree setting is used when aligning the front end. Be sure the alignment shop uses the 'Motorhome' one and not the P-30 one. There is a difference.

Do not go over or below the recommended min/max psi for the front axle rating. Always go with the bag maker air pressure recommendations vs the service manual given the OEM bag pressure specs min/max differed compared to the newer air lift bags.

Air Lift 1000 bag pressures for motorhome are 40psi min - 90psi max.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP: did you get the new bushings from Roadmaster and did they make any difference?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Not aware of any pre determined measurement for the stop to control arm on P30 chassis looking thru manual. A good rule of thumb is if the bag/s are shot and you're able to slip a finger in between the bump stop and upper control arm air bag replacement is doable.

I just replaced the front bags in mine and can get ~4 fingers in after bag replacement. Air-lift bags call for min 40psi - 90psi max for motorhome and commercial trucks. Running at 50psi currently.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:
A little off topic but when you replaced your springs, did you have the front end aligned to SuperSteer specs.
It made a world of difference in my P32.

I did but its probably due for another one. It feels like the front end gets so thrashed over the bumps around here.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
A little off topic but when you replaced your springs, did you have the front end aligned to SuperSteer specs.
It made a world of difference in my P32.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is odd! Someone at Roadmaster screwed up!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I believe I commented on the fact the end bushings were split and the center one is full. I think you installed in wrong positions.

Yep you did and thats why i brought it up to them. But i went and looked and noticed all 4 of my current bushings are split. 100% without a doubt, all 4 have splits.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I believe I commented on the fact the end bushings were split and the center one is full. I think you installed in wrong positions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, so i got in touch with roadmaster and they were incredibly helpful. After seeing the pictures they said the A arm bushings should NOT be split so i must have got the wrong bushings. They are express shipping me solid bushings so Iโ€™ll swap those in and weโ€™ll see if things look more proper. I appreciate the help!!! I will post an update after the swap.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It looks to me that you have installed correctly.
Suggest you send an inquiry to Roadmaster. They are good for responding.
I have a note on my paperwork with a contact. Wayne Wells, old extension 169
Roadmaster contact

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Bushing could be deformed by slop in other front suspension components such as A-frame bushings or ball joints. A-frame bushings could be ovaled out.
OP: glad to see other components like springs and bell cranks are great quality.

This is what im starting to think. The front end seems tight upon inspection, but i must be missing something. I am not cheap about the safety of my family when it comes to maintaining my rv, However Im just not sure how much money i can keep pouring into a 30 year old rig. Iโ€™ll see how it is on my next trip. I was really hoping this upgrade would solve my sway issue. It also has a supersteer trac bar in the rear.

I was also speculating that maybe i installed the swaybar upside down, but theres no info on direction anywhere in the paperwork, and it visually appears to be symmetrical.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Bushing could be deformed by slop in other front suspension components such as A-frame bushings or ball joints. A-frame bushings could be ovaled out.
OP: glad to see other components like springs and bell cranks are great quality.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
To me it appears that the bushings are for a sway bar with a larger diameter than yours.

It all came as 1 kit with the swaybar. They test fitted snug onto the swaybar. They just get deformed when i crank down on the brackets.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me it appears that the bushings are for a sway bar with a larger diameter than yours.