cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stops Catalytic Converter thefts! (inexpensive method)

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Cost: $40 or less per RV
Time: About an hour.
Level of difficulty: Low

RVs, being somewhat high up to begin with, are easy targets for catalytic converter thieves. I have 3 RVs. One of the cats was stolen one night when I parked the RV in front of my home. It was covered by insurance (~$4000 to replace), but it put that RV out of commission for about 6 weeks to get the insurance claim taken care of, the parts to come in, and to get it fixed. My RVs usually are parked in storage in a yard that doesn't seem like it would be hard for thieves to visit. In fact, I'm actually surprised they haven't all been stolen. So, I decided to do something to reduce my chances of having another one stolen...

An easy way to protect your catalytic converter...
Simple project any of you can likely do...

Supplies:

This was enough to do 2 and a half of my RVs (I have 3 RVs).
Each RV took about 20' of 3/16" steel cable and 14 of the wire rope clamp clips.

For me doing 3 RVs, here is what I needed:
1 can of VHT Orange Hi-temp engine paint: ($15)
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/flameproof/vht-flameproof-11-ounce-flat-orange-spray-paint/vht1/sp114?q=vht+orange

32 pack of wire rope clamp clips: ($16) (...actually need 5-6 more to finish the 3rd RV) These were much cheaper than buying at Home Depot.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083P78JP6

50' of 3/16" UNCOATED steel wire cable: ($27) (...actually need about 10 more feet to finish the 3rd RV)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-16-in-x-50-ft-Galvanized-Uncoated-Steel-Wire-Rope-803172/203958869

Cable cutter: ($23 with typical Harbor Freight 20% off coupon)
https://www.harborfreight.com/28-inch-cable-cutters-6649.html
Or, you might have another way to cut this type of cable. Or, you might be able to borrow a cable cutter from a friend... Note: The one in the picture above was NOT enough to cut or even put a dent in this cable, which I guess is a good thing. The 28" one from Harbor Freight worked great. For my install, I started with a 12' piece of cable and wrapped it from the rear to the front and then secured it in one or two places. Then I took smaller pieces of cable (1-3') and attached it at other various places. An alternative, and possible way around not being able to cut the cable (if you don't have a way) would be to purchase a 25' cable and weave/connect it all as one piece through the various attachment points. If you do this, be sure to put lots of the clamps in the appropriate places so that each connection point needs to be cut by a thief in order to remove the catalytic converter.

Heat wraps: ($5) at Harbor freight for a huge assortment. This is to reduce frayed ends when you cut the cable.

Before:

During:

After:

The visual deterrent is hopefully enough to get the thieves to move on to an easier target. On my RVs the cable is independently attached to 6 or 7 different places (including 2-3 from the top which would be harder for a thief to get to in a short time). EACH would have to be cut in order to get the catalytic converter out.

In the absence of all this, a thief with a cordless sawsall would only need to cut through 2 places with easy access (right before the catalytic converter, and right after) and would likely be done in less than 2 minutes. With this system, they would need to cut all of the additional cable locations where it is attached to the frame. This would, I believe, be a bit challenging with a sawsall as the cable will not necessarily remain still while they attempt to cut it. Also, the attachment points up high will be difficult to reach with a sawsall. If they happen to have cable cutters with them (...I'm guessing most of the time they do not), it still creates a situation where they will have to spend significantly more time trying to remove an orange catalytic converter (...which effectively flags the catalytic converter as stolen to authorities and some who are receiving/recycling these).

The clamps are just held on with 2 nuts. I don't think a thief would ever spend the time unbolting all of them as it would take them probably 20-30 minutes to do so.

So, for ~$30-40 you can probably reduce your chances of having your catalytic converter stolen by 80-90%.

Want to reduce your chances even further?? Here's what else I have done to provide more security at my RV for very little $$$. I added this simple security system to my RV: ($54)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHD15E6
I attached the horn/alarm to my chassis battery. It has some electrical draw, but my chassis battery gets charged by my solar via a Trik-L-Start (http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html) so it doesn't matter. If you have solar on your coach batteries only, you could attach this horn/alarm to your coach batteries. The horn is quite loud!

I attach one of the motion sensors underneath my RV pointing right at the catalytic converter aiming towards the top cable connections. Doing this, makes it so it avoids any false alarms from animals, or leaves, etc moving underneath the RV. (Note: Sometimes a hot catalytic converter sets this motion alarm off, so you might need to let the system cool a bit before setting your alarm). Now, if a thief DOES decide they want to spend the time trying to cut out my catalytic converter along with all the multiple cable connections, they will certainly trip the very loud alarm system and they will have to leave unsuccessfully. ๐Ÿ™‚

I will mount one of the other motion sensors inside the RV (in case anyone breaks in while the RV is in storage or if I'm away from it on a long hike while camping). I also put one of the window/door alarms on my external generator compartment door. I haven't done it yet, but with the extra window/door alarms (or some extra motion alarms I bought), I will likely put one in the large external trunk storage area. We all know it wouldn't take much for someone to pry open a compartment (or use a common key).

Well, I think that about covers it! For ~$100 you can easily add some serious theft protection to your RV and catalytic converter. Inexpensive peace of mind...

Stay safe everyone!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
73 REPLIES 73

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
deadticket8 wrote:
Sorry if this was covered, but didn't read every page. Cable cutters pictured look like they are for copper or aluminum electrical cable. Steel will make them forever useless. Don't bolt cutters work on stranded cable?

Very 1st post covers this... The cutters in the picture could not cut the cable. Needed much larger cutters specific for cables. That is what I used to cut the cables to length/etc. Bolt cutter could probably also do it.

Large cutters could also be used by a thief if they are trying to steal my now-protected CC. But instead of just 2 quick cordless sawsall cuts (which they are used to), they will spend a lot more time underneath with their sawsall and cable cutters (which they are unlikely to have) trying to cut the 6-7 places where the cable is connected to the frame of the RV (some up high in very hard to reach places). And if that wasn't good enough, there's also a motion sensor alarm that will be triggered blasting at 110dB the whole time.

Overall, a relatively inexpensive mod to reduce the chance that my CC will get stolen again (covered by insurance, but causing huge inconvenience and weeks/months out of commission). Can't stop a dedicated thief, but I like my chances.

Stay safe!
Chris
San Jose, CA

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this was covered, but didn't read every page. Cable cutters pictured look like they are for copper or aluminum electrical cable. Steel will make them forever useless. Don't bolt cutters work on stranded cable?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:

Personally I did not go through insurance for it, just bought a cat from NAPA and had a local muffler shop zap it on. Under $1000 total, and done in a week.

You're lucky. In Southern California, the SCAQMD doesn't allow universal Cats to be installed, nor do they allow used or aftermarket. Has to be new OEM only.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I had the CC stolen from my motorhome about 2 years ago (I was on the leading edge of the wave!). It was in a local storage lot. In town, well lit, barbed wire, but no cameras. They stole 20+ CC's that night from the yard. Police were uninterested in helping, basically said there's nothing they can do about it.

Personally I did not go through insurance for it, just bought a cat from NAPA and had a local muffler shop zap it on. Under $1000 total, and done in a week.

Anyway, my solution was to move to a different storage yard with better security, and monitored/recorded cameras throughout. He showed me the camera feed of where my motorhome is, if nothing else next time I'll be able to watch the guy do it! lol. It does cost a bit more, but also has an on site dump station which is nice.

My mom was worried about the CC being stolen from her Prius (even though she keeps it in her garage. Watches too much news I think!) so she had a local mechanic install a shield of some type. She's happy and I think it was like $100 or something.

It's definately a problem around here in suburbia. The solution needs to come at the recycler level. Make it simply not financially worth stealing/selling cc's. Till then, meth heads gonna meth.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it can be tough to stop a determined, or lucky, thief.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder wrote:
Well, having those cameras sure paid off. People are always telling me we need to have security cameras and now I see why. ๐Ÿ™‚

To be fare, our camera's SUCK ! ! ! ! I'm sure there are MUCH BETTER choices out there than what we have.. And it was dark, but yes they still suck
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, having those cameras sure paid off. People are always telling me we need to have security cameras and now I see why. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow, they stole a cat on an escape with no jack! That must of been a real slim thief.

We keep a newer Ford Escape here at our offices for anyone to use on Company business.. Just last Sunday it had the converter stolen.

We watched the cameras, they drove up our street on their motorcycle with no lights, came in the driveway and parked right next to the car. 3-4 minutes later they drove off with no lights on... it was 5:30 AM and we could NOT get a clear view of the plate on the bike, or the person.... We welded a straight pipe in place of it for now. $3k to replace and 6 weeks for parts
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course you have to wonder at the accuracy of those numbers. Remember the inflated value of drugs confiscated by the authorities during the "War on Drugs", and the incredibly inflated numbers of enemy casualties during the Vietnam War. My faith in numbers from the media is about as large as the period at the end of this sentence Oh yeah, there's no period there. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Itโ€™s a start. And a little good news for everyone except people with old vehicles and those who are the antagonists in the EV threads! Lol.

To those who claim itโ€™s not a problem, move along. We understand you wonโ€™t admit when youโ€™re wrongโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!

Catalytic converter theft ring that made hundreds of millions is busted, feds say (msn.com)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/catalytic-converter-theft-ring-that-made-hundreds-of-millions-is-busted-feds-say/ar-AA13G5pH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=41e3a3245ed14b638997f81ca0d4ad72

From the article....

"Federal authorities estimate that DG Auto sold precious metal powders it processed from the stolen catalytic converters to a metal refinery for more than $545 million."

That's a LOT of catalytic converters I would imagine! I wonder if that is just one of many catalytic converter theft rings...

Stay safe!

Chris
San Jose, CA

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Nice work, Chris. Many areas of the country are experiencing skyrocketing CC theft. Anyone who poo-poos that because they haven't personally had it happen to them has their head in the sand. CC thefts can and do cost thousands to repair, not to mention causing travel plans to be cancelled, etc. And the whole idea of not wanting to piss-off or annoy the thieves? Please; pacifism is not the answer to deal with criminals.

I'm reminded of a truism: If you are out hiking with a friend and a bear starts chasing you, you don't have to outrun the bear, you only have to outrun your friend! In other words, if a thief wants what YOU have, you cannot stop that. But if a thief only wants "something", then you can indeed simply make your neighbor's stuff more attractive than your own. That is exactly what Chris has done. I, too, would be concerned about rattling while driving, and the paint won't last (CCs get upwards of 1500+ degrees), but what Chris has done WILL deter some (admittedly not all) CC thieves.

Thanks!

I have now driven one of the RVs about 400 miles and so far there has been no rattle noise.

-Chris
San Jose, CA

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work, Chris. Many areas of the country are experiencing skyrocketing CC theft. Anyone who poo-poos that because they haven't personally had it happen to them has their head in the sand. CC thefts can and do cost thousands to repair, not to mention causing travel plans to be cancelled, etc. And the whole idea of not wanting to piss-off or annoy the thieves? Please; pacifism is not the answer to deal with criminals.

I'm reminded of a truism: If you are out hiking with a friend and a bear starts chasing you, you don't have to outrun the bear, you only have to outrun your friend! In other words, if a thief wants what YOU have, you cannot stop that. But if a thief only wants "something", then you can indeed simply make your neighbor's stuff more attractive than your own. That is exactly what Chris has done. I, too, would be concerned about rattling while driving, and the paint won't last (CCs get upwards of 1500+ degrees), but what Chris has done WILL deter some (admittedly not all) CC thieves.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II