cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motorhome on pch

Kingcruzer2013
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip that will include the Pacific Coast from San Diego to Seattle.

I have a 40 Ft Motorhome with a tow car.

We plan on going up the coast on Route 1 The Pacific Coast Highway and filming it for our youtube channel.

!) what are any restrictions

@0 Can I do it all the way?

3) any experience would be helpful

thanks in advance

Richard
10 REPLIES 10

Kingcruzer2013
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very helpful

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven the central and northern sections with a total length of 52 feet. The section north of Cambria is a challenge but doable with care. The vista points are all on the south bound side and few will accommodate your total length. I would only do this section mid week.
The northern section is more restrictive and the section north of Westport is just not worth the trouble. Go inland at Fort Bragg to Willits. The Oregon coast is no problem. Highway 1 and 101 makes PCH one of the great drives in the country.

dedmiston
Personally I would make Cambria my cutoff instead of Morro Bay. You can easily make it up to Cambria and then cut across the 46 east to 101 north.

I wouldn't take anything oversized between San Simeon and Monterrey or up in the Mendocino area.

Hugging the coast from Eureka (Trinidad?) is fine all the way north.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of reasons I would advise against this. And by this I mean from Morro Bay north. RV’ers do it all the time, usually with a prominently displayed ‘El Monte Rents’. The first reason is that you will be a traffic impediment, as passenger cars will be trying to pass you in an area where it can rarely be done safely. Second is the ever present bicyclist who will be even slower than you. Again, you have to get around them, and then cars around you. Finally, the ‘Motor Carriers’ Road Atlas’, available at truck stops, definitely does not show the aforementioned route as an 18 wheeler route. Park the RV, take the dinghy. There are plenty of nice RV parks on 101.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably already know this, but you get better views if you are traveling north to south. Many more viewpoint pullouts, too.

On the other hand, you may get better dashboard video if you are shooting away from the sun, rather than toward it.

Good luck!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Kingcruzer2013
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all
!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The motorhome and bus map is a better guide for RVs in CA IMHO.
https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-operations/45-buses-motorhomes/bus-map

It shows the restricted roads for MHs over 40' so the OP is OK. I'm not aware of similar maps for long trailers, but it could be a heads up guide.

I've been on PCH many times in my 38' MH with a toad. It's a decent 2 lane highway. Check for road closures and fires especially south of Big Sur which seems to have it's share. Do not take 101 through SF, take 280 to 19th Ave or from 1 cross over to 19th Ave, stay in the right or center lane. PCH north of the Golden Gate is slow. As you approach Leggett there are several 15 MPH switch backs and they mean 15 MPH.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can make it from Morro Bay to Monterey but you must be attentive. I wouldn’t try it just north of Ft. Bragg and believe Caltrans has restrictions past Westport.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is map of area that is tight.Hwy 1 North restrictions
Full state map
Much of CA Hwy 1 is narrow and has many tight turns. Driver nears to be alert all the time. Navigator must watch the road to assist driver about on-coming traffic.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Check the road in California I know you are too long to take the road all the way IE in the Fort Bragg area -Caltrans has restrictions
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks