cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starlink

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
To quote Pink Floyd: Is there anybody out there?? This forum has become dead!!
I have been following what is happening with Starlink. I guess Musk was not getting inquiries from nations where income levels are low. So he reduced the prices. For Mexico here is no freight. About half the monthly cost compared to Canada. Equipment is also cheap. I know that some of the overlanders are using the service in Mexico. I imagine many of the permanent RV dwellers are using the service. Has anyone here tried it? Very fast. If you are an RV,r the prices are even lower. I am hoping they come up with an antenna that can be easily dis assembled or one that can be mounted permanently.
7 REPLIES 7

DS_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
I wish that I had known about the pricing difference. Maybe our monthly fee will drop while we are in Mexico to cushion the blow. It is what it is and as long as it works we will be happy.

The dish which is a rectangle is 17 x 24 inches aprox and is actually flat contains all the Space X electronics. The power supply/ Router is a pretty universal piece of equipment.
Everything you need is in the box . Just follow the on line instructions and hey presto!

I say this because most of us are used to the satellite Dishes used by Shaw and all the other Satellite TV providers. Where you could virtually use any curved surface to reflect the signal to your LNB

Star link is entirely different ,it aims itself so regardless of where you may be in the World it will find the correct signal and adjust to provide the best signal. The only issue being obstructions. And unlike the satellite bands in geostationary position above the equator . Their Satellite's are only a few hundred miles up and are constantly in motion relative to your ground position.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rocmoc

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh, there have been post on bajanomad forum.
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....the SpaceX <-> T-Mobile partnership (using T-Mobile mid spectrum band) will allow texting (MMS / SMS) in every dead coverage spot in the US (and, Hawaii and US VI). Timeline: appx 1 year through beta....

SpaceX and T-Mobile want to partner with carriers in every country in the world to patch dead coverage areas. This, for example, would offer a national cell carrier in Mexico to offer SMS/MMS in remote places like the bottom of Copper Canyon, and across the Chiapas back-country (without the need to buy/rent a sat phone and expensive sat phone comms fees).

...this apparently will only be possible with V2 satellites going up soon (replacing V1.5...speculation is that V2 may add appx 140-160 Gbps throughput per unit) read here-->
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
A fan of nomad rvers in the U.S., many have done videos on the inefficiencies of Starlink on the road. I don't know how much of that is true but the reviews are out there.

We've been doing well with our Telcel hotspot.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a trailer in Sayulita, work from there and need a lot of signal. While I use both the park wifi and a Telmex modem, both occasionally fail. I plan to install and test Starlink sometime in October. I'll let you know how it goes.
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any idea of the size of the antenna?

Did you see the thread on the technology of starlink that I started?

Next generation (2023) will be able to connect to a plain Jane cell phone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.