cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Scalping

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I don't know how to call it but that's what they call it regarding tickets to concerts, etc.

I have been browsing available F450s on Autotrader. I put in my parameters as only 2020 models and newer but I was willing to accept used trucks as part of my search.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong. Just a bummer for someone legitimately looking for a new truck soon. But there are several F450s within 200 miles of me that have anywhere between 100 and 1000 miles. But they are going for as much $126,000. XL STX models listed at well over $90,000 and the Platinums in the upper $120,000s.

Most of these are at Ford dealerships. I guess since they are able to list them as used, they can charge whatever they want. They call it "Market Price".

Oh well. Looks like it'll be awhile for me to get that new truck.
28 REPLIES 28

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped by my closest Ford dealership yesterday. I've dealt with them on many things so we're somewhat familiar. They told me if I put in my F450 order in October the first day it's available to do so, I would probably see the truck late January / early February.

I was rather surprised and am still somewhat doubtful.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
shadows4 wrote:
Just an FYI for people wanting to order a new truck. I had a co-worker that ordered a new F350 with the gas 7.3 on December 31 last year. He just got it last week. Wow!!!

Well it will take a while to get things up and running, but the party of Will block all legislation, even good legislation. The people will not get a win from this administration
was not able to block legislation to force the move of some chip manufacturing back to America, so things should improve.

Nothing better than the party of force. May the force be with you lol.

By the way, it's a grant / incentive program which does not force any chip manufacturer into anything as long as they do not accept the incentive. It's great when they handout the taxpayers money to corporations. At least get your facts straight. Those government incentive programs always work well.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
shadows4 wrote:
Just an FYI for people wanting to order a new truck. I had a co-worker that ordered a new F350 with the gas 7.3 on December 31 last year. He just got it last week. Wow!!!

Well it will take a while to get things up and running, but the party of Will block all legislation, even good legislation. The people will not get a win from this administration
was not able to block legislation to force the move of some chip manufacturing back to America, so things should improve.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Everything SpeakEasy said, plus, those who moan that this will never end and that there is some collusion going on... C'mon. Get real. It's a dog eat dog market out there. There is not one manufacturer or dealer out there who would not step on any and all others to get a leg up. This is a fragile truce at best. As soon as supply normalizes, someone will blink. "Hey I can sell for less and beat the other guy out for market share." We will be back to the status quo faster than you can imagine.

Yes.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Steve76eb wrote:
PButler96 wrote:

Technically the dealer would just like to get his deposit which would constitute "ordering" from the dealer, just not the actual order being placed with Ford lol.

I doubt he could even take a deposit considering Ford doesn't even know what options they are going to be offering on the trucks yet for next year, let alone what the pricing is even going to be. The only one constant that we know for sure is that the price will be increasing.

A dealer not taking a deposit? Cmon man.

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:

Technically the dealer would just like to get his deposit which would constitute "ordering" from the dealer, just not the actual order being placed with Ford lol.

I doubt he could even take a deposit considering Ford doesn't even know what options they are going to be offering on the trucks yet for next year, let alone what the pricing is even going to be. The only one constant that we know for sure is that the price will be increasing.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Everything SpeakEasy said, plus, those who moan that this will never end and that there is some collusion going on... C'mon. Get real. It's a dog eat dog market out there. There is not one manufacturer or dealer out there who would not step on any and all others to get a leg up. This is a fragile truce at best. As soon as supply normalizes, someone will blink. "Hey I can sell for less and beat the other guy out for market share." We will be back to the status quo faster than you can imagine.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
People really don't seem to understand the term "supply and demand." Simply put, when there are more buyers than there are of the thing they want to buy, prices rise.

Every seller, in a free market (which we supposedly have), naturally wants to sell for as high a price as possible. Every buyer, naturally, wants to buy for as low a price as possible. When these two natural forces are left to play out without interference, prices tend to stabilize. Think of an auction as a great illustration of a free market economy in action.

When the g'ment sent trillions of free dollars into the economy suddenly a lot of people were willing to pay more for things. Then, when the supply chain got disrupted (for a number of reasons), there were fewer goods on hand to sell. Both of these things combined to give us the crazy inflation we're stuck with now.

If any particular truck dealer were, in fact, scalping, everyone would shop at his competitor and he'd go out of business. When prices are high everywhere, it isn't scalping, and it isn't generally greed behind it.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
As I stated, it was just a salesman in his golf cart. I took what he told me with a grain of salt.

I will go to the first dealership I spoke with. They are the ones I've always had service work done with. That sales manager should be able to sit down with me and we can discuss realistic choices.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Steve76eb wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
I stopped by another Ford dealer today on the other side of town. They had a new F350 DRW Lariat but I assume that was somebody else's as it had no window sticker or anything. You could tell it was new but it was not in the area with the other Super Duties.

A salesman was riding around in his little golf cart so I asked him about their situation on F450s. He said they get very few and it's just luck on getting one. He said they were taking orders right now for 2023s and they estimate 8 months and they were pretty consistent on MSRP. No mark-up but no haggling either.

I think I may go back to the dealer from yesterday and seriously discuss ordering me either an XL STX or a Lariat.

The order window for Ford does not open until somewhere around October 17th for the 2023 Super Dutys. Unless the F450 falls under something different he is lying to you.

A sales guy at a dealer lying? That really happens? Cmon man lol.

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
I stopped by another Ford dealer today on the other side of town. They had a new F350 DRW Lariat but I assume that was somebody else's as it had no window sticker or anything. You could tell it was new but it was not in the area with the other Super Duties.

A salesman was riding around in his little golf cart so I asked him about their situation on F450s. He said they get very few and it's just luck on getting one. He said they were taking orders right now for 2023s and they estimate 8 months and they were pretty consistent on MSRP. No mark-up but no haggling either.

I think I may go back to the dealer from yesterday and seriously discuss ordering me either an XL STX or a Lariat.

The order window for Ford does not open until somewhere around October 17th for the 2023 Super Dutys. Unless the F450 falls under something different he is lying to you.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:

Good Luck. In 8 months the way they keep raising interest rates, and with prices for basically everything going through the roof, you just might be in a better buying position. I expect new vehicle sales to tank at some point.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer