cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle Lift side ways on trailer

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking to buy a motorcyle lift like a Rampage or other.
What do you have, what do you like ?

I am thinking of mounting it sideways on a car hauler trailer, so I can put the bike in the front and car behind.

Any experience with that and will it work, was a little concerned as I have a Harley touring bike and did not want to get in trouble if it hangs over a bit.

Also anyone know a site where people might sell used lifts ?

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
9 REPLIES 9

blt2ski
Hmmmmm
I think one will find length and width regs are across the board, personal or commercial are the same....on the other hand, on can go down the road at 20' wide, you'd better have proper permits, know hrs of day you can tow, pilot cars front and rear.....

Overhanging a car hauler bed or equal, so you are not over 8' wide generally speaking, should not raise any LEO/CVEO's eyebrows.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JCat wrote:
Lift will hang over by 6 inches on either side, which will be where the wheel well ends

If the lift doesn't stick out any wider than the fenders on the trailer, and the bike also does not stick out any wider than the fenders on the trailer, there is nothing to worry about legally.

"Width laws" are for COMMERCIAL vehicles anyway. If you're towing with an RV, you can be 20' wide and the law won't even look your way or so the story goes on RV.net. Commercial trucking laws don't apply to RVs. Commercial, your load can't be more than 102" wide normally, mirrors don't count.

Your only concern is if the bike is sticking out and you insist on driving so close to things that you catch the bike on them and wreck it. Of course if you're that close you're also wrecking the trailer, so maybe if you have a history of hitting things with your trailer this is not a great idea.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JCat wrote:
Lift will hang over by 6 inches on either side, which will be where the wheel well ends

As long as you understand width laws.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Will your bike not be over width? If so then no issue.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
got it, thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Jcat, the Mountain Master loader is made specifically for the bed of the truck. You can choose to keep the tailgate, or have it with no tailgat. I have the tailgate on. The loader does NOT hang out and the tailgate closes when there is no bike in it. When the bike is loaded, the tailgate ALMOST closes.
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Ltrip, does your lift hang over the sides of the bed ?
If yes how much ?

Also did you have to do modifications to attach it to your truck bed ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Mountain Master loader in the back of my pickup. It works fine for me. Due to my error, I burned up the original winch and replaced it with a more powerful one. I tow a travel trailer behind the pickup. I have a BMW RT...about 600 pounds. Hope this helps!
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT