cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Twin Falls ID to Las Vegas NV Advice

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to head south in mid-October from Twin Falls ID. Typically I go over to Salt Lake City then I-15 South to Las Vegas, however this year I would like to take SR 93 in Nevada to LAs Vegas. Any tips or concerns or detours to take going this way?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
10 REPLIES 10

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just ran Rt 93 from Twin Falls to Las Vegas
3 weeks ago. We stopped for a night in Jackpot at the Spanish Gardens RV park and at the KOA in Ely. Both were good campgrounds. As mentioned RT 93 is about 40 miles longer but there is very little traffic and you pick up I-15 just north of Las Vegas. Good road conditions and scenery. We topped off our fuel in Caliente. We enjoyed the ride in our 26ft class C RV no tow.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
Did it in a car. October. Went north via this route. 100% agree with OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT. Here's my caution on the road...lots of semis on the road. There are passing lanes. Lots of passing can be going on while you have a passing lane. The guys coming the other way want to pass the slower trucks too. A little too much of this for my comfort level. If I'd been in an RV I would have been moving slower and not felt the need to pass. But everyone else does, and they can easily be using your lane. Coming home we did the SLC route. Not a fan of the traffic in SLC but I felt safer.
1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
๐Ÿ˜ž

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
All good stuff here. We also thought of going towards Death Valley since it is sort of a small detour only. I am not towing a 5er, that stays in WA now. I am towing a small cargo trailer with my Subaru. Gas milage will be a lot better for sure but filling up going that direction was good advice.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobsallyh wrote:
We do this twice yearly. Out of Ely, take US 6 to RT 318, 318 back to US 93 near Alamo. It is shorter and a pull or two less. Great road, it will be you, some semis', some RVs and some cars. Brings you out at I-15 just north of N. Las Vegas. Just watch weather for Ely.
x4 driven frequently in the car a few times with the RV.
IIRC Wells to Ely is 132 miles with no fuel.
And respect the speed limits in the small towns.

We have stayed at Valley View RV just north of Ely. OK for nights rest.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ward Mt campground just outside Ely is nice
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I did the trip a year ago in August towing a 5th wheel southbound. I was meeting a semi about every two miles.
After meeting semis trying to pass coming at me I decided I would never use that route again.
Saw about 2 semi's to one car.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
We do this twice yearly. Out of Ely, take US 6 to RT 318, 318 back to US 93 near Alamo. It is shorter and a pull or two less. Great road, it will be you, some semis', some RVs and some cars. Brings you out at I-15 just north of N. Las Vegas. Just watch weather for Ely.
We also do this route twice a year. Only concern in October is dust storms. They can be a real hazard. But you can see them coming for 20 miles!

And don't leave Ely with less than adequate fuel.

Speed traps: Jackpot, McGill, Ely suburbs, Lund, and Hiko.

dedmiston
I've got no advice on your trip, but this reminded me of something I hadn't thought of in years...

We used to go visit my wife's grandmother in Kimberly just outside of Twin at least once a year. She had quit driving and wanted to have a night on the town with a trip down to Jackpot. She had the incredible luck of a lifelong farmer, so our trips down to Jackpot were always the best.

We took her Cadillac and she asked me to drive. She said she'd give me directions to dinner, and then we'd head south down to Jackpot after dinner. I didn't know where we were headed for dinner, because good old North's Chuckwagon had already shut down by then.

After about thirty minutes of driving south through the nothingness, I finally piped up and said "We aren't headed to dinner, are we?" She was so excited about gambling that she completely forgot about dinner. Poor old woman was so embarrassed.

Oh well.

I'd give anything to have another night on the town with her. She wasn't even my grandma, but she was the best.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:

I second this. Good route and mid-Oct should be fine.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II