Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resealing Fiberglass Roof

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello RV'ers.

My rig is 18 years old and I need to reseal the seams on the roof once again. I have seen companies that will seal the seams and recoat the entire roof, and it looks great.

I have seen a few spider web cracks in the roof so i am wondering if I should do this ?

Is it the correct thing to do and have you done it with what results ?

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
12 REPLIES 12

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
We just finished re-coating our Newmar's roof..
I sanded with 320 grit, and really cleaned the roof.
I removed all the old sealant around all vents and other openings.
After all the cleaning was done I applied 2 coats of white Flex-seal.

Looks great we will see how long it lasts.
cost was about the same as all the other coating on the markets ($109.00)

Our roof was not leaking, it simply looked horrible, looks great now.

Check that Flex Seal. Last I knew it didn't have a UV barrier in it, which obviously is bad for something like a MH roof.

They may have changed the formula, I do not know, but if I was using it on a roof I'd sure want to know!

**Update** I just looked, the description I read said it was UV resistant - assuming I was reading about the one you used.

It says it is..
If it gives us 10 years , I'm good. 🙂

Once cured, flex seal liquid forms a durable, breathable, weatherproof, non-slip barrier that's resistant to rain, snow, sun, wind, hail, air, moisture, UV degradation, extreme temperatures and natural weathering.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Bruce_Brown
Tom/Barb wrote:

Check that Flex Seal. Last I knew it didn't have a UV barrier in it, which obviously is bad for something like a MH roof.

They may have changed the formula, I do not know, but if I was using it on a roof I'd sure want to know!

**Update** I just looked, the description I read said it was UV resistant - assuming I was reading about the one you used.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My Class B fiberglass roof had a small gouge and a small spot of spider web cracking. I cleaned it and covered with eternabond tape 2 years ago. No problems.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I guess everything needs a touch up after almost 20 years.”

Stand up and say that! I’m much better looking today. lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bruce_Brown
MountainAir05 wrote:
Its just like a boat. Once you get the cracks, the only way to proper fix it is grove the line cracks and then clean and wash very good. Then Resin and gel coat over. Should last many years. If you don't fix now water will get threw them over time and a bigger issues down the road.

You might ask about replacing with a new panel or clean and glue down a rubber membrane over the panel. Look at the cost each way.

I think you might find the fiberglass is so thin grooving it out really isn't an option. The material on many of these roofs is so darn thin there really isn't anything to groove.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Bruce_Brown
Blackdiamond wrote:
Rick Jay wrote:
Ok, I'm a bit puzzled.

As long as I've been on these forums, I have heard some folks say that they would only get an RV with a fiberglass roof and that they WOULD NEVER buy a rig with a rubber roof. The reason being was the extra maintenance required with a rubber roof, that they only last "X" years, yada yada.

Our rig, with a rubber roof, is about the same age as JCat's. I've sealed the original seams with Eternabond as needed over the years and generally just kept the roof clean, inspecting it Spring and Fall. I don't think it'll need to be replaced in the near future, but who knows?

So, I'm surprised that a fiberglass roof needs this type of attention after a similar time period.

Is this type of deterioration unusual for fiberglass roofs?

An inquiring mind would like to know. 🙂

Thanks,

~Rick

I'm in the same boat Rick, TPO roof 20 years old, used eternabond on the seams at the front and rear cap, sky lights, vents and I think I have many more years to go. I'm sure Bumpy will chime in.

To the OP, I would look into fiberglass resurfacing the areas that have cracks or see if something like liquid roof would work.

Same here. 15+ years on our Brite-Tek roof, still looks as good as the day we brought it home.

When we ordered our current MH we had the choice between Brite-Tek and fiberglass, based on our experience with Brite-Tek on our other MHs we chose it again.

If we were ordering today we'd make the same choice.

As to the OPs question, I used a coating once on an older TT, it worked OK for the time I owned it.
Bruce & Jill Brown

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess everything needs a touch up after almost 20 years
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Ok, I'm a bit puzzled.

As long as I've been on these forums, I have heard some folks say that they would only get an RV with a fiberglass roof and that they WOULD NEVER buy a rig with a rubber roof. The reason being was the extra maintenance required with a rubber roof, that they only last "X" years, yada yada.

Our rig, with a rubber roof, is about the same age as JCat's. I've sealed the original seams with Eternabond as needed over the years and generally just kept the roof clean, inspecting it Spring and Fall. I don't think it'll need to be replaced in the near future, but who knows?

So, I'm surprised that a fiberglass roof needs this type of attention after a similar time period.

Thanks,

~Rick

I'm in the same boat Rick, TPO roof 20 years old, used eternabond on the seams at the front and rear cap, sky lights, vents and I think I have many more years to go. I'm sure Bumpy will chime in.

To the OP, I would look into fiberglass resurfacing the areas that have cracks or see if something like liquid roof would work.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fiberglass will decay from UV rays so they should be maintained from time to time. Rubber roofs will also decay and also need protection from UV and cleaned. Just pick what you’re most comfortable with.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I'm a bit puzzled.

Thanks,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its just like a boat. Once you get the cracks, the only way to proper fix it is grove the line cracks and then clean and wash very good. Then Resin and gel coat over. Should last many years. If you don't fix now water will get threw them over time and a bigger issues down the road.

You might ask about replacing with a new panel or clean and glue down a rubber membrane over the panel. Look at the cost each way.