cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death Valley and Current road conditions

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I might detour from our trip south in mid October to Deathvalley. I have never been there so coming in maybe from Scotty's junction. I saw that last month that DV got flooded out. Does anyone know if you can go through there now? Traveling with subaru ouback and a small cargo trailer.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
4 REPLIES 4

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Enblethen gave me the link and I was able to find out the same thing about closers. Bad timing with all the flood damage from last month. Current hurricane coming through and may finish off the park I'm afraid.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right now, the only way in or out of DV is via 190.

Scotty's Castle Rd is closed. So is Titus Canyon Rd. The main sights along 190 are open. It looks like Stovepipe Wells is closed (the campground and gift shop are closed), so you may only be able to get fuel at Furnace Creek.

I would keep checking the website via the above link as you get closer to your trip and check to see as things get open.

Scotty's Castle and Bonnie Clare Rd is closed until sometime in 2023, so you will not be able to enter that way.

If you will be just driving through for a day, I would stick to the sights along 190.

If you are able to drop the trailer and then drive around, then you could check out Titus Canyon Rd, etc.

I recommend having a good spare and a portable air compressor/tire repair kit with you, and to check at the ranger station before taking any unpaved roads. While they may be open for vehicle traffic, that doesn't mean they are in decent condition for anything but a true offroad 4wd vehicle.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You will enjoy your time at DVNP very much. Any entrance is fine. Stop at every attraction that is open. Also suggest you visit Rhyolite just outside the park. Provided it has reopened, Titus Canyon is a great drive with the proper vehicle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Best answer is here from the NPS.gov website.
Death Valley Roads

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker