Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing 4-wheels down.....braking required for vehicle?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Towing 4-wheels down.....braking required for vehicle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/22 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A towed motor vehicle is not a trailer!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/22 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

A towed motor vehicle is not a trailer!

Explain the physics of why stopping a 4500lb car is not the same as stopping a 4500lb trailer for us.

Unless there is a specific statement in the state vehicle code stating towed cars are exempt, you can expect them to treat it as a trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not saying that a person should or should not have an auxiliary braking system. Product information saying it is required is bad information.
Some toads need a braking device. Some MHs have barely enough braking to stop a loaded rig. Some large MHs with air brake style braking may not need a toad with auxiliary braking system.
Yes, I have a braking system!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/22 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I am not saying that a person should or should not have an auxiliary braking system. Product information saying it is required is bad information.
Some toads need a braking device. Some MHs have barely enough braking to stop a loaded rig. Some large MHs with air brake style braking may not need a toad with auxiliary braking system.
Yes, I have a braking system!

Still doesn't provide a difference. Even the big diesel pushers with air brakes require trailer brakes for over 3k lb (most states).

Not saying people don't get away with things but if the investigator decides not having brakes was a proximate cause in an accident, you can expect them to cite it and I'm betting the citation would hold up in court.

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info. Using the surge brake from NSA as well as breakaway cable in case the worst happens. Fortunately, the aftermarket metal front bumper with winch and D-hooks can be used instead of a Blue Ox mounting bracket which saves some $$. All in all, converting to 4-down isn't costing me the price I received selling my tow dolly.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/22 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VA-Apraisr wrote:

Thanks for all the info. Using the surge brake from NSA as well as breakaway cable in case the worst happens. Fortunately, the aftermarket metal front bumper with winch and D-hooks can be used instead of a Blue Ox mounting bracket which saves some $$. All in all, converting to 4-down isn't costing me the price I received selling my tow dolly.

My 08 Jk had an aftermarket bumper. I removed the D rings and fabricated a hitch point for the tow bar. i hard wired the brake lights and mounted a plug on the front of the jeep. Using the NSA braking system i was ready to go in a short time. Sold the C and the Jeep. I miss the jeep.

[image]

Of course then you see this.......

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/22 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gen light and odometer info: :
In place of installing a light harness in the toad , I drilled two holes in my taillight housing to accept a 12v socket and bulb. I ran the wires to the front and tied them into the 7 way plug to pop into the rv’s socket. I added a 12v charge line in that line from the rv to charge the toad battery while towing.

BC i only have toad brake, directional and taillights visible from the rear , i manually turn on the toads running lights while towing in rain or at night to give me more sideview illumination.

On my toad , when i turn the toads ignition ‘on’ to tow , the first click to unlock the steering wheel is what i need. If i accidentally go to the second ignition position , the run position , the toads mileage will accumulate.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/22 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

VA-Apraisr wrote:

My 08 Jk had an aftermarket bumper. I removed the D rings and fabricated a hitch point for the tow bar. i hard wired the brake lights and mounted a plug on the front of the jeep. Using the NSA braking system i was ready to go in a short time. Sold the C and the Jeep. I miss the jeep.

[image]

WOW, your REALLY need a "rise hitch" on the tow vehicle.

Tow vehicle to toad should be pretty close to horizontal.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/22 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

VA-Apraisr wrote:

[image]

WOW, your REALLY need a "rise hitch" on the tow vehicle.

Tow vehicle to toad should be pretty close to horizontal.

When I pulled alongside I was amused. No baseplate, just the chains going around the bumper.

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/22 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haha......saw the photo and thought you were serious!! [emoticon] Yeah, trying to avoid the redneck fix-it-yourself-and-go process! I'll be using a 4" riser hook as well since my Jeep has a lift on it to ensure straight pulling and proper engagement of surge braking. Just waiting on the parts to be delivered and then wiring up the toad to the RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Towing 4-wheels down.....braking required for vehicle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.