cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front grill filter

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Improvised a filter made from HVAC 'cut to size' filter media that is weather proof and washable with a hose. This will greatly reduce the dirt, silt, dogwood, debris etc...from coming in and plugging up the condenser and radiator.

See here:

https://www.rvforum.net/threads/front-grill-filter.140388/
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)
19 REPLIES 19

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

This is working quite well and holding up great.
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
udidwht, Which MH did you put the screen on your Chevy or the Westfalia? How many miles have you driven with it on? Have you taken it over the continental divide coming east yet?

1. Chevy P-30 chassis. The Westy is 1972 air-cooled Type 4 2056cc

2. It was just shy of turning 45K (US)when I bought it. Now at 75,090. Have owned it since Sept 2014.

3. No. But am planning to go to Florida Keys perhaps later this year or early-mid spring 2023. From Seattle area.

I just finished replacing the AC condenser w/integral oil cooler, new front air bags and AC service. You can have a read of it here...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/condenser-oil-cooler.59140/
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
udidwht, Which MH did you put the screen on your Chevy or the Westfalia? How many miles have you driven with it on? Have you taken it over the continental divide coming east yet?

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The grill in my rig is a 1/2 square grid that will whistle at around 50 MPH. The fix was to disrupt the air flow thru the grill with window screen material. As an added bonus I have yet to need to clean the insect carcasses out of the radiator sandwich. No noticeable loss of cooling of the power train or loss of dash A/C performance.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Clearly we have two different discussions going on here.

I totally agree that Chum Lee's open mesh hardware cloth is just fine. None of my comments in this thread were directed to his selection of screen material, but only to the OP's.

Again, my comments are directed to the OP's "fine mesh screen" question (see again his original post AND his post immediately above).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't looking to stop small rocks, grasshoppers, butterflies etc..the grill does that fine. I wanted the finer debris silt, dogwood, dirt without excessively restricting air.

I found that.
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! This is why I do not regularly post here any more. In my previous post in this thread, I clearly say I have 1/8" mesh, which, so far, works well, . . . . . then this guy (wolfe10) posts a link for 1/4" mesh and then says it wont work for the application which I'm not using it for.

Chum lee

Please, close the thread!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Hardware cloth has an open enough weave that it will not catch many bugs but will stop most rocks and larger debris:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-1-4-in-x-2-ft-x-5-ft-23-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Hardware-Cloth-3...
Brett Wolfe

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
The previous owner of my 1999 Southwind Class A (Ford F53 chassis) zip tied some cut to fit 1/8" square galvanized steel mesh to the back side of the front radiator grill.

Ya, that is what the Chevy chassis guru referred to as "hardware cloth". Much more open than any screen-- and "approved".

Excellent for keeping rocks out of the radiator, but will not do much for bugs.

I don't understand. I regularly pull bees, grasshoppers, moths, dragonflies, butterflies, June bugs, beetles, horseflies, etc. out of the wire mesh. Are these NOT bugs? In addition, it's also stopped pea gravel, broken glass, drywall screws, paper, plastic, leaves, etc. I know my RV didn't come from the factory with the screen, but, that's why I left it installed. Your experience may vary.

Chum lee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
The previous owner of my 1999 Southwind Class A (Ford F53 chassis) zip tied some cut to fit 1/8" square galvanized steel mesh to the back side of the front radiator grill.

Ya, that is what the Chevy chassis guru referred to as "hardware cloth". Much more open than any screen-- and "approved".

Excellent for keeping rocks out of the radiator, but will not do much for bugs.
Brett Wolfe

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my 1999 Southwind Class A (Ford F53 chassis) zip tied some cut to fit 1/8" square galvanized steel mesh to the back side of the front radiator grill. I painted it all flat black so it isn't really visible from the outside. So far, it seems to do a pretty good job of keeping road debris, bees, grasshoppers, butterflies and other flying pests off the AC condenser, the transmission cooler, and out of the radiator/engine bay. Even on the hottest days, overheating has never been an issue. I spray it clean with high pressure water from the inside as necessary.

I never drive in freezing conditions, but, I can see how it might be an issue with freezing rain, hail, or with large snowflakes. So far, so good.

Chum lee

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Holding up very well. The material is 100 percent polyester woven (weatherproof) high efficiency. It's purpose is not to increase airflow into the radiator but to decrease the following...

https://www.rvforum.net/threads/ac-condenser-w-oil-cooler.139788/post-1315171
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
udidwht,

I think I'm going to have to side with the folks that think this might create a worse problem due to excessive heat. As wolfe10 mentioned, take a piece of that material (I'd think 1' x 1' would be enough) and while someone else is driving, you hold onto it with both hands and stick it out the window at highway speed. The air rushing toward that material will see that material almost like a wall, a higher pressure area will be created in front of it, and incoming air will be deflected around the material by that higher pressure. The same will happen in front of your radiator and you'll be limiting the amount of fresh, cooler air, getting to your engine. Vehicle manufacturers usually spend a lot of time making sure that proper air flow exists under a wide variety of environments. Remember that fluid flow is from high pressure to low pressure. A high pressure area in front of that material will cause the air flow to find a lower pressure route.

As others have said, carefully monitor your temps. Even if things are just running moderately hotter, higher operating temps tend to shorten the life of lubricating fluids, transmission fluid especially, so you might wish to shorten those change intervals.

The material you purchased is used in an application where there is a low pressure area created behind the filter by the circulation fan in the A/C. It is also (usually) contained in a rigid frame so air must flow through it, and it is not exposed to the elements (moisture especially). The air is drawn in THROUGH the filter. The air filter in your engine operates the same way, the low pressure inside the intake manifold (due to the intake strokes of the pistons) draws air through the air filter with atmospheric pressure on the outside creating the pressure differential.

One other thing I thought about...you said you held it in place with zip ties. LOL...I'm a "zip tie guy" myself. But that foam material isn't that strong. If the material rips free, can it get "sucked in" to the radiator or go underneath and get wrapped around the fans and belts? Just a thought. I could be way off base with that, but figured I'd mention it.

Oh...just had another thought...what about in the rain? That material will get heavier and stress those zip tie connections even more, while further limiting air flow.

Personally, I'd think you'd be better off with hardware cloth (actually wire mesh). I think the size they recommend for "rock catchers" is 1/2" x 1/2" holes. It might not catch everything you want it to, but it should help and will pass a lot more air. Until/if it becomes clogged.

Hey...it's your rig. Maybe it'll work and won't cause you any problems. We'll keep our fingers crossed for ya'! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I grew up in the South Alabama, North Florida and we have Lovebugs and the only way to stop from replacing your radiator and anything else is put a bug screen in front of the radiator. All it is window screen with a band around it with mounting rings. Our vehicle do not over heat. This is replace as needed when they fill up with the bugs. If you do not wash the vehicle everyday then you will have no paint in one season.

I now live out West and use the screen on all my vehicles to keep out the bug and flying things. We get up to 110 last year and non of our vehicles overheat. We must be lucky. Been doing it for over 50 years.