cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV AC condenser w/integral oil cooler

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Finished replacement of the condenser w/integral oil cooler. Now just have the AC system to charge.

See here: https://www.rvforum.net/threads/ac-condenser-w-oil-cooler.139788/#post-1315171
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)
3 REPLIES 3

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Well, it definitely looked like it needed to be cleaned. Nice job! ๐Ÿ™‚

By any chance, do you know if that was the original radiator? If so, I'd probably be tempted to change it out as well. I always beat myself up making these type of decisions when repairing things. It would just be my luck to get everything back together and a month later the radiator would start leaking!

I've found that by doing the work myself (free labor), that it's sometimes better to change certain items while it's easy to do so. Maybe this radiator isn't that hard to get to, but some are. And I guess it depends upon the price of a replacement.

But cleaning it you should've gotten a good look at it, so hopefully it's still sound and has some good years left on it.

Anyway, good job cleaning things up. Hopefully the cleaning along with your new bug screen system will help keep the rig cool for years to come! ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick

The radiator is original. It pressure tested great. And no abnormal IR gun readings across it from top to bottom. The radiator sits in a metal frame and looks as if it could be removed once the condenser/oil cooler is out.

Noticed that the dash temp gauge behaves much more nicely. Not nearly as inaccurate (though their not perfect).
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:

By any chance, do you know if that was the original radiator? If so, I'd probably be tempted to change it out as well. I always beat myself up making these type of decisions when repairing things. It would just be my luck to get everything back together and a month later the radiator would start leaking!

Years ago I adopted an oft overlooked maintenance recommendation for my cooling system. Every 50K or 5 years I drain and replace all coolant. If I need more coolant due to normal seepage or leaks I only use pre-mix or concentrate coolant with distilled water.

Biggest issues I've seen in my lifetime with cooling systems is either corrosion allowed by old coolant (with depleted anti-corrosion additives) or blockage caused by use of "tap water" loaded with hardness minerals.

I also change fluids in transmission, transfer case, and differential at same intervals.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it definitely looked like it needed to be cleaned. Nice job! ๐Ÿ™‚

I've found that by doing the work myself (free labor), that it's sometimes better to change certain items while it's easy to do so. Maybe this radiator isn't that hard to get to, but some are. And I guess it depends upon the price of a replacement.

But cleaning it you should've gotten a good look at it, so hopefully it's still sound and has some good years left on it.

Anyway, good job cleaning things up. Hopefully the cleaning along with your new bug screen system will help keep the rig cool for years to come! ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.