cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host Everest Deadbolt Issue

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
So, I’m not sure this is an issue with our camper or if it’s campers in general. Occasionally, or deadbolt won’t go into the lock opening. Called Host the first time this happened and they said to lower or raise the rear right corner which did help. But this past week I kept the camper on the truck and the deadbolt wouldn’t go in the opening until I raised the right rear jack. Looking at the lock opening it looks like maybe it’s installed a little high. Or, it’s this a typical issue with campers.

Other that that and a tiny issue with the thermostat it’s been great so far.
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest
9 REPLIES 9

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If that's the worst problem you've found with this camper you're doing well.

My sister turned on the water pump in their brand new travel trailer on the first trip out and it happily pumped a couple gallons of water out on the floor before they realized what was going on.

The RV manufacturing industry in general is sloppy and known for cutting corners to crank out as many units for the lowest cost.

Unless the camper is sitting perfectly on the jacks, there is going to be a little twist in the body of the camper. Some twist more than others, such as my Palomino which twists a LOT, to the point where the door will pop open if you get too far out of whack. Your host is probably pretty rigid but still twists a little.

That's why adjusting the right rear jack moves the lock plate enough to latch. Sometimes you're twisted one way, so you have to raise the jack. Sometimes you're twisted the other way, so you have to lower the jack. You could achieve the same result with the left rear jack.

However if this is a problem with the camper in the truck, all jacks raised, then you need to adjust the striker plate to make it work.

Should it have come from the factory working for what you paid? Sure, but most RVers have come to realize that perfection is never going to happen and take minor issues like this in stride, rather than quibble with the RV dealer over warranty, spending way more in time and fuel than the repair would cost.

Someone could make a perfect camper if they wanted to, but it would cost more than the rest, and people will gravitate to the cheaper alternatives. Seems most would rather complain that their cheap camper isn't perfect rather than buy a more expensive one that is.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1200 was like that also. But adjusted the striker plate. Now the door shuts flush. Deadbolt works as it should.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its probably more common than you think. If it was me, I would have ground the plate the first time I had an issue. Probably add an extra 16th or 8th inch for good measure as long as it not wreaking the plate too much. Host takes pride in saying each coach is hand made. Some minor variation or settling is not surprising to me.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
It will probably take weeks and $500 for a dealer to fix this. I recommend you do this easy adjustment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bedlam
I had to file and adjust the strike plate on my enclosed trailer but on none of my RV's.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had 2 host and never had this problem. I would just handle it yourself.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
wjlapier wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
easy solution take off the striker plate and file or dremel grind the hole in the plate larger on the edge that's catching and reinstall.

I thought about that. And might do it. I’m just curious if this is unique to my camper, Host campers with the door on the side, or to campers in general.

sloppy workmanship is endemic in the industry
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
easy solution take off the striker plate and file or dremel grind the hole in the plate larger on the edge that's catching and reinstall.

I thought about that. And might do it. I’m just curious if this is unique to my camper, Host campers with the door on the side, or to campers in general.
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags