cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

current diesel fuel pricing

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Locally, I'm seeing gasoline prices drop considerably, however diesel pricing doesn't seem to be going down as fast. Is the same thing happening in your area?

It seems the price differential between regular gasoline and diesel is usually about 50 - 75 cents. Now it is about $1.40. What's going on with this?
24 REPLIES 24

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I think that's 3B, B as billion.

LOL......
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that's 3B, B as billion.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:

As far as heating oil is concerned, in 2020 residential use was about 3B gallons, about 1/4th of what it was in the late 70s

What? 38 gallons?

We used to go through @ 500+ gallons every winter and that was on the Eastern shore of MD, where winters are typically really mild.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, in Connecticut the price of diesel has been well over $1 more than gasoline for awhile now.

I just posted in another thread talking about 1/2 ton diesels... no one I know is looking to buy a diesel now, the fuel is so expensive.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huh, just checked gas buddy and the spread on diesel between stations is $1.50 vs the spread on regular gas at $0.50. At the station with the best price on diesel it's $4.49 vs $3.39 for regular.

As far as heating oil is concerned, in 2020 residential use was about 3B gallons, about 1/4th of what it was in the late 70s and a much smaller percentage of the total distillate useage, though it's still a concern in the NE and NY in particular as refineries have to tune for it during the leadup and during the winter months.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JaxDad wrote:
markchengr wrote:
A 42 gallon barrel of crude oil yields approx 20 gallons of gasoline and only about 10 gallons of diesel. In the past several decades, the demand for diesel has has grown more, relatively, than the demand for gasoline. It's a supply and demand thing.

Thatโ€™s not quite accurate, a barrel of crude yields between 11 and 12 gallons of ULS diesel.

The other factor, albeit a small one, is that the Federal tax on diesel is 1/3rd higher on diesel than it is on gasoline.

There is also the seasonal demands which are opposite, people travel more in the summer and so use more gasoline, in the winter diesel is competing with consumption for heating as well as for motor fuel.

It's even more complicated.
- Different sources will produce different quantities. The oil extracted from the Canadian tar sands will not produce the same amounts as south Texas sweet crude. Different refineries are set up to handle different types of crude oil.
- There are different refining techniques that can result in different percentages. European has far more diesel personal vehicles and their refineries are set up to extract a larger percentage as diesel. In the US, diesel has historically been primarily for commercial, so the refineries are set up to get more gasoline.

Of course, the number of gallons out of a barrel is not something that is quick and easy to change. Over 20-30yrs, yes they can make modifications to follow demand but over a year or two...not so much.

PS: Heating fuel is far less of a market force today compared to 40-50yrs ago. Most furnaces have been replaced with propane or natural gas. Very few oil fired furnaces are left. Similarly, oil fired electric power plants are rare exceptions.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
Traveled to eastern WA this weekend - Diesel was $5.39 - Drove a couple miles into OR, $4.71. Filled up, now back on the west side, $5.59. Gas is about $1 cheaper than Diesel. What I see is that diesel moves up and down slower than gas. It should be cheaper than gas and was when gas prices started to go up, but then it went up higher. Slower to go back down. Hopefully gas prices stay down regardless of who's in the white house.

Yep, got to love fuel prices on the left coast!!
In the greater Beaverton area (Portland) regular is $4.45 and diesel is $5.79. Now about 18 months ago the price of regular and diesel were within cents of each other, and at times diesel was cheaper!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
It's a market thing.

Diesel is primarily serving commercial operators. They have to buy X gallons per week regardless of the price. Efficiency is always important. Even with low fuel prices, fuel is still a major cost of business. The result is diesel prices tend to be inelastic. That means they tend to be slower to go up and down.

Gasoline is primarily used by private individuals. Particularly when fuel prices are low, they tend to be less focused on efficiency, so when prices rise, they have more ability to reduce consumption. It could be as simple as easing off the throttle. It could be taking the compact car instead of the big truck. It could be skipping an optional trip. With a major price spike like we just went thru, it's not hard for a typical family to cut 10-30% off their gasoline consumption. The result is gasoline prices tend to be more elastic and thus go up and down faster as they try to react to the changes in demand.

Thank you. That's a very good explanation of what I was asking in my OP. I really was not asking what the price is in a specific city or state, but why in general there is currently a large spread in gas vs. diesel prices.

In addition to the overall static consumption of diesel fuel for commercial shipping purposes, I would assume we are seeing a current trend of this going higher. My reason being we are seeing the supply chain open up after a year of issues, and then there seems to be less problem finding drivers for trucks. More products and more trucks on the road equals higher diesel consumption.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traveled to eastern WA this weekend - Diesel was $5.39 - Drove a couple miles into OR, $4.71. Filled up, now back on the west side, $5.59. Gas is about $1 cheaper than Diesel. What I see is that diesel moves up and down slower than gas. It should be cheaper than gas and was when gas prices started to go up, but then it went up higher. Slower to go back down. Hopefully gas prices stay down regardless of who's in the white house.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got diesel Sat in NC for $3.91. I am now in WV and it is $4.79. Leaving here for Cleveland will see how this goes up that way, oh, gas was & $2.99 in NC

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends where you are getting your 'fuel' from... I've seen in WA state from 4.09 for reg and $5.09 for diesel to $4.99 for reg and 5.99 for diesel.

From the West side to the East side of the state this weekend from the top tiers to the local safeways and such..

Just depends on what fuel you want compared to price I guess...

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
markchengr wrote:
A 42 gallon barrel of crude oil yields approx 20 gallons of gasoline and only about 10 gallons of diesel. In the past several decades, the demand for diesel has has grown more, relatively, than the demand for gasoline. It's a supply and demand thing.

Thatโ€™s not quite accurate, a barrel of crude yields between 11 and 12 gallons of ULS diesel.

The other factor, albeit a small one, is that the Federal tax on diesel is 1/3rd higher on diesel than it is on gasoline.

There is also the seasonal demands which are opposite, people travel more in the summer and so use more gasoline, in the winter diesel is competing with consumption for heating as well as for motor fuel.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haven't much paid attention to gas prices. I have a job issued car and free gas for that. For diesel I've paid as high as $5.99/gallon earlier this spring. Its currently $4.53/gallon at the gas cash station near me. Gas is roughly $1, maybe $1.25 cheaper right now.

Thankfully I haven't had to fill up since we traveled home from Tennessee in early August and unfortunately I don't have another planned camping trip until February.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer