Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Occasional Winter Camping??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Occasional Winter Camping??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/22 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would leave the furnace set to run 1000 times before I would ever consider leaving a stove burner lit unattended.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But leaving the stove burner is a great idea for helping the other skiers stay warm standing around your bonfire.

Sorry Pianotuna, I couldn't resist. [emoticon]

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/22 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me be more descriptive.

-25 day time high during a four day blizzard in the city of Calgary

Four burner stove with each burner turned down as far as possible.

nothing flammable within 2 feet of the stove

A Kipor 2800 generator was used for 5 hours (3 in the evening and 2 in the morning) and furnace run during that time.

A heating pad run by a MSW 200 watt inverter with copious blankets.

I was at a convention during the day from 8 am until 8 pm. The stove burners were not run when I was inside the RV. The furnace was set as low as possible when I was not "home".

I will not sleep with a generator running.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/22 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think camping in a blizzard is a lot different than overnighting at a ski lodge once in a while.

As long as the OP is planning on skiing during the day, then the temps won't be so low that the camper needs to be heated while they are away. The daytime temps will be above freezing. So, trying to warm the camper during the day is unnecessary (things won't freeze) and unneccessarily dangerous. Just winterize the camper and use bottled water as needed.

When the OP arrives back at the camper after a day of skiing, use the furnace to warm up. Make sure you have enough battery power or a generator to run the furnace fan for the night.

If the OP is uncomfortable running the furnace while you sleep, just run it right before bed then hunker down with lots of good bedding, then turn it on when you awake.

If the OP can hook up to electricity, use a space heater with a remote control - that way you can turn on, turn off, and adjust the heat level as needed without having to get out of bed.

If the toilet sits directly over the black tank, then you can use a pitcher of water to "flush" the toilet after use - that small amount of water going directly into your tank from the bowl won't damage anything if it freezes. And as it's only one night, the next day you can go home and add more water through the toilet and then drain the black tank.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/22 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

A Kipor 2800 generator was used for 5 hours (3 in the evening and 2 in the morning) and furnace run during that time.

I was at a convention during the day from 8 am until 8 pm. The stove burners were not run when I was inside the RV. The furnace was set as low as possible when I was not "home".

thats old time thinking there, works even better if you put terricotta pots upside down over the burner.

I would not recomed any one use a open flame for heat in the camper with out a window cracked and never while you sleep. and like any other type once you have to crack a window and vent or what ever your kinda defeating the purpose.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/22 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winter camping can mean many things depending on where you are and when:
- Down into the 20-30's, it's a complete non-issue. You can probably get away with blankets and no heat at all in a small truck camper.
- Down into the -10 to -20, it becomes more challenging

Also, do you expect to have electricity? With shore power, you don't have to worry about batteries running out and may even be able to supplement with a space heater. In our 25ft travel trailer a 1500w space heater is all we use down to around 30F. I would expect with a smaller space, you could manage even in colder conditions.

As mentioned, moisture is the biggest challenge (and a good reason to avoid the stove heating among others). The bubble foil insulation on the windows will help a lot. If only doing it for a few days, it's mostly a nuisance, just make sure to wipe down every interior wall you can before closing it up (inside cabinets also), so mold doesn't start growing.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

edgerelease

Niwot, CO 80503, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/22 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh man, some of you guys are funny as hell! I'll stick to my original common sense thought of keeping winterized, running the heater while sleeping, bottled water and call it good! Solar set up will charge batteries back up during the day.

(Electric heater? Keep burners on? Seriously? Yikes.)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/22 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edgerelease wrote:

Oh man, some of you guys are funny as hell! I'll stick to my original common sense thought of keeping winterized, running the heater while sleeping, bottled water and call it good! Solar set up will charge batteries back up during the day.

(Electric heater? Keep burners on? Seriously? Yikes.)

Just keep reading. Rvnet is a great source of entertainment!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/22 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

“I left stove burner on unattended, but I am afraid to sleep with a generator running outside.”

Oh, that totally makes sense….[emoticon]

Dude, anyone who’s entertained even seemingly good advice from you should now be very wary…
Are you taking tips from how the homeless live or you come up with this stuff on your own?

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/22 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Ok so it has been nearly 20yrs since I've 'winter camped'.

- Single type #27 battery, (I don't recall if I had solar or truck-2-camper charging at that point or not)

- Temps in 20-30's, furnace was mostly on most of the time
- I had not winterized, no water system issues
- Admittedly after spending the night in the snow the next day I left for lower elevation (and less snow)

- Given that 1 day/night of running the furnace and 2000 era lighting would of used up my single battery, I must of had someway of charging the battery

Over the years I hear that most folks just drain their water (blow out excess with air on the city water intake), flush toilet with RV antifreeze and if staying more than 1 day/night have someway to charge the battery (for furnace+lighting) or have more than a single #27 battery (100Ah).

While it seems (and IS) counter productive, cracking the roof hatches and having a window cracked for ventilation to combat condensation is needed. (otherwise you'll find moisture on the windows and on/in the walls)

- Mark0.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Occasional Winter Camping??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.