Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Occasional Winter Camping??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Occasional Winter Camping??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/22 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try not to winter camp unless I have an electric hook up. I don't like the noise or the sudden bursts of heat from the propane heater.
In the fall and winter I have a small oil-filled radiator which I keep switched on. This keeps the place very cozy.

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/22 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent a couple months on the road camping in winter before. My best improvement was putting a couple sheets of lattice fencing in the cab over for breathability with 1" RMAX foamboard on top under the mattress. That greatly helped keep the bed warmer. The other thing was to get a set of heavy flannel sheets. That was one of the biggest helps. Another trick I used was to sleep with my head at the foot of the bed, so it was more in the center of the camper and my feet out front of the cabover. That kept my head and body closer to the warm area of the camper and my feet in the colder area. I like having my feet cooler. I like my comfort, so My furnace is set to not less than 62 degrees at night and 65 or 70 in the day, whatever it takes to be comfortable. I have 400 AH of lithium and 675 watts solar on the roof, so power is of no concern excepting for clouds and shade. Charging gets better the farther south you go in winter. If I fall short of charging after a couple days, no matter because I'll probably be relocating to the next location and the 30-amp dc to dc charger will recharge the battery system back to full in the time it takes me to drive to the next location. If I stay at a site with electricity, I have a 1000-watt 3' wide baseboard heater that works well down to about 25 degrees, then I need to supplement heating using the furnace. I think 5 degrees F is the coldest I've camped. Keep in mind I have measured a 30-degree difference between the floor and the countertop in the TC. In the real cold conditions, I have a small fan that blows cabin air down into the basement for the holding tanks. The tanks do sit on top of 1/2" Styrofoam, so they have a little thermal protection. Get some really thick slippers and socks for hanging in the TC because your feet will get cold in those conditions. OK, those are my tricks. That's how I stay warm in the winter.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edgerelease wrote:

I'm newer to truck camping so bear with me. I have a Palomino HS-8801, certainly not designed for winter camping but WHAT IF...I wanted to take it up to the ski resort for a night (or wherever). I'm assuming I'd keep it winterized and simply run the propane to stay warm for the night. Just bring my own fresh water...no toilet/plumbing/water use. Agree?

Also, probably a stupid question but you would only turn on the heater when you are with the unit, you wouldn't want to keep it on low during the day. I'm thinking it is not safe, or even if it was I'd suck the tank dry on a super cold day.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

so the first answer to this should have been "yes" I winter camp all the time with my 5th wheel and my camper and thats all I do. your camper has much better insulation than mine, and probably a ducted furnace. the website doesnt give you to much info about the options and the construction but with the water winterized and the furnace on its up to you how cold you can handle. take lots of blankets and have a good weekend.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/22 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A hard question to answer. People live in RVs in the northern Rockies, but it takes some experience to be comfortable. You have to learn how to keep your plumbing working and stay warm.

My point of view is that most RV people can be pretty functional down to around 0-10 above by doing the obvious. Especially if day time temps make it above freezing.

Spending the night at a ski area parking lot in the Rockies with no hook ups is not so easy. It can be -35 degrees F or more. I have slept in the back of my insulated pickup with no heat at around -20 degrees with few problems.

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/22 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is some pretty hardcore winter camping suggestions.

Winter camping iin an AF1150

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/22 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

A hard question to answer. People live in RVs in the northern Rockies, but it takes some experience to be comfortable. You have to learn how to keep your plumbing working and stay warm.

We've done a fair bit of winter camping (as a kid we used to spend weekends in northern Michigan snowmobiling and the camper stayed there all winter).

In truly cold conditions (say lows below 10F), it can be "tolerable" but I wouldn't call it "comfortable".

In more recent times, cold weather camping is usually when we get caught somewhere in a cold snap or need to be somewhere for a short period of time. If we needed to be somewhere for a month or more, we would be looking at an apartment (which we have done on a few occasions).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/22 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When young, I would sleep in my car when I skied the Alps. I never had temperatures less than the single digits but awoke many mornings with the interior completely frozen up from breath overnight.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Occasional Winter Camping??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.