cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is changing to a quieter AC worth it?

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
Kicking around the idea of changing the AC to a quieter brand.
Would it be worth the cost? Down here in the sunny south, the AC runs quite a bit. Considering the Truma Aventa or the RecPro by Houghton, or ?? And if I could find a 9500 btu that is quiet, would that be enough AC for a hard side without slides? Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
bighatnohorse wrote:
It appears that the Aventa requires 230 volt 50 cycle. It maybe for European RVs.
The RecPro model i looked at is 120 volts but draws 14 amps.
And the RecPro specs state the db at 59 - about the same as a Honda 2000 generator.
The "standard" truck camper AC such as the one on my Arctic Fox draws 8 amps.
You'd pretty much need a 50 amp hookup if you're running a larger RV.

Truma Aventa does use 115v....Truma
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
We upgraded to a Atwood AirCommand and it is so much quieter than the Dometic that came with the trailer. It also is more electrically efficient and seems to throw the air much further.

From what I understand Dometic now owns Atwood…

I have read that and believe at the time we bought it was also but ours says Made in Australia and the electrical test result papers mentions Australia on it also. If it had said Dometic on it I would of returned it. I do not know if they have changed any internals but if they have not it is well worth the cost.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
We upgraded to a Atwood AirCommand and it is so much quieter than the Dometic that came with the trailer. It also is more electrically efficient and seems to throw the air much further.

From what I understand Dometic now owns Atwood…

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
replace the very noisy Dometic that came with our Host. Was easy to replace cost around $1200. Is very quiet and works much much better than the Domestic.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
That looks interesting, but won't he need to pay for an NFA tax stamp if he buys a silencer?;)

Dick_B wrote:
I installed one of the Wacko products and it makes a big difference. Check out Wackoproducts.com. And, no, i don't work for them and would not benefit from a purchase.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered my Host with the RecPro 13,500 BTU AC unit. It was pricey, but much better than the Coleman's I've had in the past. Lower profile too. When you have shore power and it's not too cold outside, the heater option is a nice alternative to burning propane in your furnace.

When the AC compressor kicks on, it very briefly draws 18A and then settles down to 8.6.

If the cost is acceptable to you, I think you'll be happy.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I say no.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Go to whacko products website and watch the install video. Good instructions to sealup the airways if nothing else.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Personal choice for you to make but I wouldn’t put up with that level of noise.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did not realize how loud the Penguin II AC units on our rig were until the bedroom AC gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. Was just going to order same AC but RV tech said it would be at least a few weeks and we had a couple of trips planned that we did not want to reschedule. He mentioned several of his customers, after extensive research, have changed out the loud AC units that came with their rigs for the Recpro units manufactured by Houghton, although their original units were still functioning fine.

I ordered directly from Recpro website beating Amazon's price and delivery was insanely quick, reviews are very good and I was impressed with the reduced sound level not to mention the fact that our rig's bedroom gets cooled off much quicker than with Penguin II. Love that they come with remote control although controls are available directly on unit, they also have functions that were not provided on our Penguin II. Overall we are happy and will more than likely replace our front AC unit with Recpro/Houghton unit when it dies.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Our AirXcel (Coleman) Mach 10 that came with our motorhome was atrociously loud... you couldn't hold a conversation with it running. Finally replaced it with a RecPro Houghton AC3501. Wow! What a difference. Very happy with it.
AirXcel has come out with a new model Mach 10 Quiet model that is reported great by others but very hard to currently find one.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
I installed one of the Wacko products and it makes a big difference. Check out Wackoproducts.com. And, no, i don't work for them and would not benefit from a purchase.

Tell me more!! How much does it quiet the unit.

I looked and apparently its only for ducted units. 😞
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)