cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought the RV market might be getting soft. I was wrong.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And don’t understand why. This economy is more confusing and less predictable than ever.

So decided to dump the ole toy hauler. Thought being if someone wants it more than me, should have no issue getting something at a comparably better price this winter and likely more so next year.
All the RV dealers in this part of the country are full or filling up at the wrong time of the year for that.
So even selling at the “wrong time” I posted ours for sale for what I paid 2 years ago thinking wrong season and the above comments I’d be lucky to get that much.
Granted I got a fair deal in the spring of 2021. About $5k less than most comparable used rigs I figured. When RV inventory was nil and the second round of Covid buyers were pushing prices way up.
Took 3 days. Gone for asking price and have a list of folks who just weren’t as quick as the first dude.
Starting to second guess my decision. 7 years old. Very clean but not without a couple days worth of issues or repairs I needed to do to it. Plus it needs tires and a new converter

To say I’m surprised would be accurate.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
31 REPLIES 31

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
A friend bought a new class C, 29 foot, F4 50, in 2016. Many things changed in his life and he was only able to use it three or four times and it’s been in storage. He just sold it for what he paid for it… $100,000. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
blofgren wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^To your point, I’m gonna put the boat up for sale too this weekend. Wrong time of year, but been considering upgrading anyways and now have friends with a new surf boat so we can mooch back some rides from them for a year if necessary.
With these stupid high prices it’s silly to not cash out unless some extenuating circumstances or extreme emotional attachment.
I’ve had $20k offers for the squarebody we redid as well. How often do you get unsolicited offers for a not rare semi restored vehicle that are for more $ than you have into them? Not often. And I’m not a good enough painter to claim it’s a $10k paint job…lol

OK, now you've got me thinking about selling my trailer and boat again....but the divorce lawyer would cost me much more than what I would make off of them! :B

I never felt good about selling anything, unless I was replacing with something new/better. If I liked the old, sometimes kept that too, and still bought new. My partner never complained about any purchases I made, but she was more sentimental, when seeing the old go away.

I often times had 4 motorcycles, 3 snowmobiles, and more guns/hunting equipment than I could ever use. I've had a lake cabin for many years, but still bought several TTs and FWs, as we both enjoy camping in other areas.

I know Grit said that his wife really enjoyed the TH, and guessing she enjoys the boat! I also was thinking she may get pi$$ed and find someone else, but nah...she's had this guy a long time...got to be something good about him! :C

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^To your point, I’m gonna put the boat up for sale too this weekend. Wrong time of year, but been considering upgrading anyways and now have friends with a new surf boat so we can mooch back some rides from them for a year if necessary.
With these stupid high prices it’s silly to not cash out unless some extenuating circumstances or extreme emotional attachment.
I’ve had $20k offers for the squarebody we redid as well. How often do you get unsolicited offers for a not rare semi restored vehicle that are for more $ than you have into them? Not often. And I’m not a good enough painter to claim it’s a $10k paint job…lol

OK, now you've got me thinking about selling my trailer and boat again....but the divorce lawyer would cost me much more than what I would make off of them! :B

Haha, I shoulda sold the boat too. But I gotta pick my battles with the family! I chickened out…

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
And whoda thought my simple post about getting good resale on my camper would have been turned into another off topic off the wall discussion by the usual detractors?

Funny part is I thought couple of you were internet buddies from the EV threads. But turns out you’ll argue with anyone for any reason….lol.
You're still here:h

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
But turns out you’ll argue with anyone for any reason….lol.

No they won't.

Yes they will.

No they won't.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And whoda thought my simple post about getting good resale on my camper would have been turned into another off topic off the wall discussion by the usual detractors?

Funny part is I thought couple of you were internet buddies from the EV threads. But turns out you’ll argue with anyone for any reason….lol.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Yes of course, I’m sure you can take a 20% hit in your income then top it off with another 9% hit for inflation without a care in the world. Sounds like you are one of those “High Enders”.
Or....maybe I chose to not have my retirement be subject to the not unexpected ups and downs of the stock market. ;)Think of all the years you gained 15% or 20%.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
time2roll wrote:
...The negative wealth effect of the stock market dropping will only affect the high end...JMHO
You couldn't be more wrong. Many millions of retired people depend upon their 401K for their income, for the rest of their life. The drop in our 401K means we have to make substantial changes in our lifestyle so that we don't outlive our 401K. And I can assure you, we are not "High End", we are just regular folks trying to enjoy our golden years. The drop is scary and very real for us.
I meant the high end of the RV market. Not about your personal wealth.

So if the market drop has you buying a lower end RV that could even boost the low end RV market and again you would have dropped out of the higher end RV market thus affecting the "high end".

For high net worth people I doubt the market fluctuations will affect what RV is chosen. Do these people even go RVing? If the 25% hit to income or assets affects day to day life then not really in the high end of income/wealth.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes of course, I’m sure you can take a 20% hit in your income then top it off with another 9% hit for inflation without a care in the world. Sounds like you are one of those “High Enders”.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
shelbyfv wrote:
^^^^That's why many in retirement move to investments with less volatility...
Less volatility, now why didn't I think of that???????

Clicky

But the point I was making had nothing to do with volatility. The point is that everyday people are being substantially affected by the stock market - not just "High Enders"
And my point was that if a 20% drop in the stock market has caused you to make "substantial lifestyle changes" you might want to re-think your retirement plans. These years of nutso low interest have enticed lots of folks into exposure they shouldn't have to worry about in old age. Sorry, we've strayed far from trailer pricing.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
shelbyfv wrote:
^^^^That's why many in retirement move to investments with less volatility...
Less volatility, now why didn't I think of that???????

Clicky

But the point I was making had nothing to do with volatility. The point is that everyday people are being substantially affected by the stock market - not just "High Enders"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
shelbyfv wrote:
^^^^That's why many in retirement move to investments with less volatility. The stock market has been propped up by crazy low interest rates for a generation, easy to lose perspective.

I am sure no investment guru. But 2-3% mortgage rates were bound to increase. 2-3% is realy abnormal and not sustainable
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^That's why many in retirement move to investments with less volatility. The stock market has been propped up by crazy low interest rates for a generation, easy to lose perspective.