cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antennae or booster

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent a lot of the summer where we got no cell service and the park had free WiFi in certain areas or we could buy WiFi. Anyway we noticed a bunch of people that had little portable antennae things sitting out. They were white with a flat face about 12โ€ square. I figured they were some kind of booster but now that weโ€™ve left there and I tried looking them up on internet I canโ€™t find them. Wish I would have knocked on a door and asked. Lol. Anyone know what they might be. We might go back next summer and I would love to get better cell and/or WiFi
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
cyberham wrote:
I successfully set up wifi calling. Let's see how this works now.

Added: Wifi Calling seems to be working fine. Apparently, this also saves mobile battery since wifi access requires lower transmit signal level since the local wifi access point is near.

yup. the lower your cell phone signal level is the more transmit power your phone needs, the shorter the battery life. So wifi calling with a stronger signal is a win. One downside is if you move out of wifi range call gets dropped if the phone can't switch to a cell tower.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

cyberham
Explorer
Explorer
I successfully set up wifi calling. Let's see how this works now.

Added: Wifi Calling seems to be working fine. Apparently, this also saves mobile battery since wifi access requires lower transmit signal level since the local wifi access point is near.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
cyberham wrote:
We also have poor unusable cell service in our park but excellent wifi. For phoning, just download skype or What's App to your mobile phone. You can then do skype-to-skype calls (free) or skype-to-phone calls (low minute-based fee). I like What's App the best since its connections are encrypted and you can call for free any phone that also has the What's App installed on their mobile.

Using wifi, you can stream TV from the Internet or from services like amazon or Netflix.

or simpler just enable wifi calling from your phone.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
coming back?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be a Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5, which is what I use. It really helps with CG wifi except where bandwidth is the problem. If the bandwidth is not enough you are out of luck anyway!!

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If the flat part of the square antenna is pointing toward the sky then these are Starlink antennas for high speed satellite internet.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
-jbh-

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A stronger signal from a booster is rarely the cure. Bandwidth, or lack there of, is the problem.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
Anyway we noticed a bunch of people that had little portable antennae things sitting out. They were white with a flat face about 12โ€ square.

They could be an Over-The-Air TV antenna.

The BEST WiFi "hot spot" (capture cell phone signal and convert it to WiFi for Internet) have 2 connectors for antennas to receive cell phone signals and possibly 2 more for transmitting WiFi signals. Many different style of antenna and if they are portable, they don't have to cost an arm and a leg.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sounds like starlink. White rectangular maybe 1ft x 6in?

It's a new satellite internet service. They provide internet. Unlike cell or older satellite service, they provided unlimited data. Speeds are supposed to be in the 100-300mb range.

Equipment is around $600 and an RV plan is $130/m.

Currently limited to continental US and up a bit into Canada or we would be looking at picking up a system. They are still expanding.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
You described a Starlink antenna.

cyberham
Explorer
Explorer
We also have poor unusable cell service in our park but excellent wifi. For phoning, just download skype or What's App to your mobile phone. You can then do skype-to-skype calls (free) or skype-to-phone calls (low minute-based fee). I like What's App the best since its connections are encrypted and you can call for free any phone that also has the What's App installed on their mobile.

Using wifi, you can stream TV from the Internet or from services like amazon or Netflix.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Square, or rectangular?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman