Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Diesel Ram Owner Forced to Scrap Truck !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Diesel Ram Owner Forced to Scrap Truck !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/21/22 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Even if there is some "VIN database" there would be nothing stopping the new owner if it is sold in a state where they don't do emissions inspections.


I believe most states require the title and registration to be cleared and removed from the prior state (not sure of the legal terminology). I ran into an issue with a typo on a title from another state and my state wouldn't touch it until it was sorted with the original state. So if NJ flags the vin/title, getting it titled/registered in a new state may be problematic if NJ says there a problem with the truck.

Also, there is the issue of getting caught. It's one thing to play dumb that you didn't realize it was illegal to delete the truck. But now that you've been cited and told to fix it, you can expect the charges to be escalated if you purposely try to circumvent the ruling by selling it in another state still deleted.

Honestly, he's probably being used to "make an example" but he did it on purpose, so he doesn't get much sympathy.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/21/22 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:



Honestly, he's probably being used to "make an example" but he did it on purpose, so he doesn't get much sympathy.


Yeah ask my step-son about being a "make an example"!


2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021


dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/22/22 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ran into something close to this at work. We got a truck from one of our other dealers for a possible trans issue. They took it in on trade and sold it not knowing it had an issue. Well it turns out it’s been, lifted, deleted, tuned, Def tank removed as well as DPF and catalyst. I told them to just wholesale it and be done with it! It will be a problem later on when the customer has to have it tested and they found out we sold it like that! It will cost too much for us to make it stock. Best to sell it in an area where they don’t have inspections and the buyer won’t care!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


PButler96

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 06/13/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/23/22 03:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I just ran into something close to this at work. We got a truck from one of our other dealers for a possible trans issue. They took it in on trade and sold it not knowing it had an issue. Well it turns out it’s been, lifted, deleted, tuned, Def tank removed as well as DPF and catalyst. I told them to just wholesale it and be done with it! It will be a problem later on when the customer has to have it tested and they found out we sold it like that! It will cost too much for us to make it stock. Best to sell it in an area where they don’t have inspections and the buyer won’t care!


Excuse me for finding it hard to believe a dealer would not find any of all that stuff when doing a trade in valuation.

Any time I ever let one value a trade within minutes they could tell me where every single scratch or paint chip was, tires needed replaced as they had put a micrometer on the tread depth, and knew the bumper end cap was replaced with an aftermarket part after a run in with a groundhog. They could also tell I smoked a cigarette in it once on the way home from buying it 5 years earlier. They could not see the DEF tank was gone? Lol. I think your employer needs to fire whoever approved that one immediatly.


I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Pbutler97

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 09/22/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/24/22 02:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DELETED

* This post was edited 09/24/22 03:19am by Pbutler97 *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/24/22 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I just ran into something close to this at work. We got a truck from one of our other dealers for a possible trans issue. They took it in on trade and sold it not knowing it had an issue. Well it turns out it’s been, lifted, deleted, tuned, Def tank removed as well as DPF and catalyst. I told them to just wholesale it and be done with it! It will be a problem later on when the customer has to have it tested and they found out we sold it like that! It will cost too much for us to make it stock. Best to sell it in an area where they don’t have inspections and the buyer won’t care!


Excuse me for finding it hard to believe a dealer would not find any of all that stuff when doing a trade in valuation.

Any time I ever let one value a trade within minutes they could tell me where every single scratch or paint chip was, tires needed replaced as they had put a micrometer on the tread depth, and knew the bumper end cap was replaced with an aftermarket part after a run in with a groundhog. They could also tell I smoked a cigarette in it once on the way home from buying it 5 years earlier. They could not see the DEF tank was gone? Lol. I think your employer needs to fire whoever approved that one immediatly.


I don’t know, but places take in any trade, but this one should’ve went right to wholesale. But I went to fill it with diesel because it was on E and I think that is the problem with the truck it was running out of fuel on acceleration. Well the 1/2 of what I put in runs on the ground.
This was from another dealer, some places have people up front that don’t know a thing about cars, even though they sell them!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Diesel Ram Owner Forced to Scrap Truck !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.