cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage of Fresh Water - How Long

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, Rookie RVer :C here! Can you provide any “good to know” tips, about storing fresh water in tank? I just installed a double water filter on “MidLife” (Winnebago Vista 30B) and its made a world of difference. How long would you suggest keeping water in the tank? I’m thinking after a certain amount of time its not a good thing. Prior to installing filter I use to empty tank and water heater after every trip. I couldn’t find any post on this.

Thanks in advance!
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
19 REPLIES 19

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No nerve struck. I don't normally sanitize my tank - unless I smell or taste mustiness, etc.

But the OP's question wasn't about sanitizing, it was about draining the tank of water between use.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
So much paranoia about FRESH water. I drain and winterize at the end of the season. In 22 years of owning our coach, I have never put anything in the FRESH water tank but water........ The wife, cat and I have never been sick from the water in out coach. I also don't put any chemicals in the waste tanks. There are no leaks, so there is no smell in the coach.

Richard

This isn't about sanitizing the tank. It's simply about draining the tank between trips.

It's preference. I personally drink from my tank. To me bottled water, which is sealed, retains a "freshness" that water sitting in an RV tank doesn't. So, if it sits a long time (more than a months or so, I'd rather drain and fill right before a trip.

If you don't drink from the tank, or don't taste a difference between water fresh from the tap and water that's been sitting in a container for a while, then don't drain.

Oops, looks like I struck a left nerve. Grooooooooooooooon.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last time the 30 gallon fresh tank on the truck camper was filled was in TN in Oct 2021. The water was treated city water. Unless taking a trip, the truck camper only gets taken to town (dog park and shopping so the dog goes with us). We carry a 3 gallon jug that we refill in town at one of the water filtration stations for our drinking/cooking water. Since I have been working on the camper (including some plumbing work) over the past winter and summer, I've had the cover for the fresh tank off. Water has no green or black things in it. Nor does it smell stale or "off". Works very well for flushing and washing hands. At some point it's going to need to be filled again as it's down to 1/4 of the tank (according to the tank level gauge). I think it will be taken it to town and filled from the city water spigot at the store my daughter works at.

Cincy_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
I never seen an expiration date on bottled water. Clean water, in a clean tank could possibly last several years or longer. If your tank is clean and your water is clean when it go in, it might last as long as honey in the Egyption Pyramids.

Unlike bottled water, a tank is vented to allow filling/draining. Our tank has an overflow, somewhere underneath, & a vent @ the city fill. Each time tank level drops, via pumping or draining, outside air & is pulled into the tank. (The vent is screened to keep out “large chunks.”)

We drain & refill before each trip. Sanitize 2-3 times/year.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
So much paranoia about FRESH water. I drain and winterize at the end of the season. In 22 years of owning our coach, I have never put anything in the FRESH water tank but water........ The wife, cat and I have never been sick from the water in out coach. I also don't put any chemicals in the waste tanks. There are no leaks, so there is no smell in the coach.

Richard

This isn't about sanitizing the tank. It's simply about draining the tank between trips.

It's preference. I personally drink from my tank. To me bottled water, which is sealed, retains a "freshness" that water sitting in an RV tank doesn't. So, if it sits a long time (more than a months or so, I'd rather drain and fill right before a trip.

If you don't drink from the tank, or don't taste a difference between water fresh from the tap and water that's been sitting in a container for a while, then don't drain.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
chuckftboy wrote:
I never seen an expiration date on bottled water. Clean water, in a clean tank could possibly last several years or longer. If your tank is clean and your water is clean when it go in, it might last as long as honey in the Egyption Pyramids.

Bottled water does have a "best by" date which is usually 2 years from the bottling date. With COVID I'm sure some people let their water tanks sit for 2 years or so.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there are multiple factors:

1. The water quality. Is it chlorinated? Is ita bit icky right from the source?

2. How big of a tank.

3. How often do you go out. Are you going out year round? Or does it sits for months between trips? Are you doing a couple 3+ week trips a year or weekend trips every couple weeks?

4. Where the camper is stored. Is it kept at home and you spend time in it when not camping? Are you always tinkering with it and the water comes in handy? Or does it get put away and ignored until the next trip?

If not draining it means the water sits unmoved for months at a time, then I would drain. If I had to fill at an RV park and the water is not as good as my water at home, I'd drain it. Otherwise, I'd just top off between trips and not worry.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm I only drain at the end of the year and sanitize in the spring. I'm on well water.

After reading this thread maybe I should do it more often, but then again it might be like changing your oil every 3000 miles, nice but not necessary.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“My question is do they drain their water heater at home when they leave?”

No, I don’t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on where you got the "fresh" water that filled your tank and how long it has been there. If it came from your local municipal water supply, chances are the water has been recently chlorinated and disinfected with ozone, UV, or whatever the local water treatment plant currently does. You can usually call them and ask if you want to know for sure. If the water came from a private well, that's not the case. It could be much better than municipal water, or much worse. Test kits are available. Google is your friend.

For me, if it looks bad (anything other than clear) smells bad, or tastes bad, dump it and flush the system with fresh chlorinated water. I drink/cook with RO (reverse osmosis) water.

Chum lee

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I live in Florida and do not have to worry about my tanks freezing. For this reason I never empty my fresh water tank or water heater. I have treated municipal water and I top the tanks off with as much water as they will hold to minimize oxygen in the tanks that could promote the growth of bacteria. This also gives me a reference to check to see if there are any leaks in the system. I do have an under counter water filter and I have never noticed any difference in the taste of the water from it sitting. Since we occasionally have hurricanes in Florida our RV is our lifeline if a storm hits

I do pretty much the same, except I drain and sanitize the fresh water tank 2 or 3 x a year.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live in Florida and do not have to worry about my tanks freezing. For this reason I never empty my fresh water tank or water heater. I have treated municipal water and I top the tanks off with as much water as they will hold to minimize oxygen in the tanks that could promote the growth of bacteria. This also gives me a reference to check to see if there are any leaks in the system. I do have an under counter water filter and I have never noticed any difference in the taste of the water from it sitting. Since we occasionally have hurricanes in Florida our RV is our lifeline if a storm hits