cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to re-caulk RV trailer roof?

peterspeter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm recaulking my RV trailer. Going well except these heavy lines of something slathered on the roof. When I try to lift, it seems the rubber roof lifts with it. How can this be repaired?
Here is a pic of the roof:

(Moderator edit to show picture)

Is there a good product I can go over this with?
We got the trailer for cheap and the look of the repair isn't as important as making sure it won't leak in the future.
For the smaller caulk lines I'm using thermoplastic caulking that people use for caulking outdoor window trim which is going well.
Thanks in advance!
18 REPLIES 18

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Use Dicor Self Leveling Sealant
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Also I think mineral spirits is pure. Paint thinner can contain additives like benzene. Good info on "the spruce".

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used Henges, but Ill look for it next time. I use a white roofing compound out of a home improvement store, seems to do the trick.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably because that was not what the OP asked. Quite unusual though I will admit.:W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a reason that no one has mentioned using Eternabond over the lap sealant?
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
I use the one that has the guy smiling at you on the label......can't think of the name.

That's Dicor, the smiling guy is Rudy. My wife seen a tube on my workbench and asked why a company would put a creepy looking smiling guy that looks like uncle pervy on a tube of caulking?

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I don't like the way something looks or if I need to remove it to replace whatever it is sealing, I use a heat gun(carefully) and an 1-1/2" putty knife that has the edges rounded and doesn't have a sharp edge. It would prolly take 30-40 minutes to remove all that. Then take mineral spirits, or as we used to call it "paint thinner" and a rag to scrub it up. If you want it super clean you can give it a once over with alchohol and a rag before using self leveling roof sealer. I use the one that has the guy smiling at you on the label......can't think of the name.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s best practice to remove all previous caulk and reapply fresh lap sealant. Also cover front roof trim holder. Leaks from screws also leaks from towing in rain on front seam. If really anal remove roof trim remove butyl tape. Buy new trim, new butyl tape, and new lap sealant.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant, as well. It sticks good and lasts. I clean the area first with denatured alcohol.

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the Heng's product but was not impressed. It seemed very thin to me. After 2 years it started to peel-lift. On my most recent trailer, I had a questionable area on my larger slide. After thorough cleaning, I rolled on a product I'd tried at home. It's FlexSeal Liquid. The manufacturer says it's good for EPDM roofing so I gave it a shot. It is very thick stuff, which is what I wanted and I rolled it on nice and thick. It dries into a flexible rubber. I used it 2 years ago and it still looks like new, and the slide roof doesn't leak. I'm going to go around the whole perimeter of the roof with a roller and this stuff to put a new coat of sealant on the edges. It comes in black or white. I used the white. Also comes in a paste you can put on with a putty knife if you have any open areas that need filling.
Duane

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
coming back?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
What you are looking at is lap sealant. Here is a link to Amazon where you can buy it Linky or any RV place will have it.Do not use the caulk you have now.

I have removed old lap sealant. On a sunny day you can use a plastic putty knife and patience to get it off. Or even a hair dryer to warm it up.
Make sure the area is clean before applying the new lap sealant. Instructions can be found on the tube.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
When applying a self leveling roof sealant over OEM sealant don't make a dam to stop the roof from draining. Big blobs across a area can cause pooling (lake effect) up there ...that ain't good.

If the OEM sealant isn't loose I leave it as is.
My old '97 32' 5er still has OEM sealant (80-90 percent) in most spots on the rubber roof material.

There are some good self leveling sealant brands out here for resealing those loose spots.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides