cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CARB smog testing motorhomes Every 4months by 2024

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-unveils-smog-check-trucks-enforcement-event-port-los-angeles

You guys see this? In two years motorhomes will need to be smog tested 4 times a year in California?
40 REPLIES 40

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toedtoes wrote:
Nobody is denying you your right to recreate in a big RV. They are simoly trying to stop you from poluting the earth while you do it.

You realize how wacked out you sound, saying that, driving your stinky old dodge hippy van?

No wonder how this c rap actually happens down thereโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Treefrog
Explorer
Explorer
Toedtoes, question: if a 2000 diesel RV doesn't pass emission test doesn't the rule require the motor to be in compliance to be registered in 2024?
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 36' 350 Cummins ISC
2015 Lincoln MKX
FMCA 351235
Look for us at Civil War Reenactments and the SCA.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
N6WT wrote:
Am I reading it correctly that this only applies to 2010 and older?

No. The last links provided are for a different regulation that does NOT affect personal use motorhomes.

The Heavy Duty Inspection and Maintentance Program affects all diesel powered motorhomes of more than 14,000 gvwr. It is simply a once a year inspection of the motorhome's emissions control system. And that inspection can be done remotely via the motorhome's OBD.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
N6WT wrote:
Apparently, there is a way to exclude your DP from the new reporting regulations.
I found this YT vid which had this link in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7QKCDmCjfo
https://air.arb.ca.gov/edvr

I have not done it yet so I dont know if it works.

Some hoops to jump through, but it looks like it will fix the mess for RVs. I hope?

This is not for the Heavy Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program being discussed in this thread.

This is for the Truck and Bus Regulation that requires trucks and busses over 14,000 gvwr (NOT personal use motorhomes) to replace or retrofit their engines to 2010 or later emissions standards (retrofit with filters or replace with 2010 or later model engines). The links you provide discuss how to claim an exemption to this requirement. P.S. this regulation has been in effect for around 10 years and the retrofits/replacements are to be fully complete by January 1, 2023, so this is old news.

The Heavy Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program that is the subject of this thread is simply ensuring that the vehicles' emissions control systems are in proper working order. There is NO requirement to retrofit or replace engines. There is no exemption process.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
Am I reading it correctly that this only applies to 2010 and older?
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
oldave wrote:
Apparently, none of us actually read the document.
I decided to read it and found this.

(The program also will apply to California-registered motorhomes, which will be required to undergo compliance testing once annually)

Not 4 times, only once a yr, Right?

Certainly better than four times a year, but the question remains:
What other vehicles in California require annual, as opposed to bi annual inspection.
As I stated before, it is pure harassment considering the limited miles these vehicles are usually driven.

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, there is a way to exclude your DP from the new reporting regulations.
I found this YT vid which had this link in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7QKCDmCjfo
https://air.arb.ca.gov/edvr

I have not done it yet so I dont know if it works.

Some hoops to jump through, but it looks like it will fix the mess for RVs. I hope?

Another link:
http://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/truckstop/azregs/edvr.html
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldave wrote:

(The program also will apply to California-registered motorhomes, which will be required to undergo compliance testing once annually)

So those potential visitors registered in their home state will not get any hassle at all.

Much more exciting to make all this other stuff up.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
For those who didn't "live it"-
I grew up on Southern California in the 60's and 70's. In the 60's we used to go to my Grandma's house in the San Gabriel Valley. The San Gabriel Mountains were 20 miles away as the crow flies. In the summer time I used to play outside and the air was so filthy I couldn't see those mountains just 20 miles away and my throat would hurt severely. Fast forward to today-the population has DOUBLED since I grew up there and there are more vehicles registered there than any where else in the Country. The air is cleaner than it's EVER BEEN. All because of CARB mandates-that were so successful by the way they were adopted by several other states. I have since retired and moved out of state-taking my massive equity with me. Yea say what you will but quite frankly you cannot by any stretch argue with the results. So yea-camp elsewhere.
Sadly, it has gone beyond the idea of cleaning up the air and instead is about nothing more than money and forced lifestyle change. I, too, grew up here in CA, and still live here. I agree that the air is cleaner than it's ever been; I remember the smog alerts in the 70s, and it being difficult to breathe as a kid. However, CA's goal is to eliminate ALL internal combustion engines, and as soon as possible. And if they can't convince you to give them up voluntarily, they will gladly make it so that you can no longer afford to use them. 2 things prove that air quality is no longer the goal:

1. A few years ago, my sister-in-law's car wouldn't pass smog. Why? Because of a "misfire" that the computer picked up. Now keep in mind, that this "misfire" was so slight that it was completely un-noticeable while driving/idling, AND the car's tailpipe emissions were within acceptable levels. But she was still forced to spend several $100 dollars chasing down a non-problem before DMV would renew her registration.

2. Decades ago, in addition to the cost of the smog check, we also had to pay $8.25 for the "smog certificate". That hard copy printout had to be mailed (or taken in) to the DMV along with your registration in order to renew. Well, about 30 years ago, they did away with that paper certificate, and it is now transmitted online to DMV automatically. But guess what? We STILL pay an additional $8.25 "certificate" fee when getting our vehicles smogged!

CARB is out of control and accountable to no one. The agency should be disbanded and the people at the top should be jailed for stealing more money from CA residents than any other organization in the state's history. Cars, RVs, lawn equipment, small generators...where does it end?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the money. It's better to collect a fee four times a year than once. Emission testing has out lived it's usefulness. Az. has a standard that you pass if tested below 40. Attendants could never tell me what the 40 meant. MY Powerstroke tests between .2 and 1.5 for 22 years at $25.00 a year. One emission tech thanked me for letting him rip me off. He had no answer when I ask when was the last diesel didn't pass.
It's not government pulling all the polluters off the road it's manufacturers building more efficient vehicles. The consumer wants good fuel mileage & power resulting in cleaner burning. They have four cylinder cars doing what it took eight to do. They do a better job with half the pollution. A vehicle isn't going to start polluting within a few months without showing some kind of malfunction that an owner is going to fix without government hassling him..Only in California... Just an opinion..
Jerry
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Plated BVWR is 14000.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actual weight will not matter. Plated GVWR will be in the requirements.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
PButler96 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

It only affects motorhomes that have a GVWR of over 14,000lbs.

Which is 100% of class A's, and every class C over @ 24'.

Gee whiz, I'll have to cut 4 feet 5 inches off my class c which fully loaded comes in at 13,750 lbs. I had at that time 7 group 29 batteries.

All tanks were full--and the unit was ordered with two fresh water tanks.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.