cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps acting up again

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my 5 year old motorhome, I have had the stair motor replaced twice and the control module replaced twice. Now, my stairs are acting up again. Sometimes the stairs work, sometimes they don't. Stairs are lubricated and move freely. Motorhome is kept in a garage when not in use.

Something interesting happened last week. I live in Florida and I run a dehumidifier in the motorhome while in storage. I go to the motorhome 2-3 times a week during the summer to empty the dehumidifier. The stairs have been working fine. Last week, I started the engine on the motorhome and ran it for a bit. Once I shut the engine off, the stairs now aren't working. I am hoping maybe this is a clue to what may be the problem. Any ideas?

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Odds are you have a Kwikee step. WHY you won't respond with what Brand step is why you cannot get help.
1. If Kwikee, the control modules NEVER go bad. So, if in 5 years you have had 2 modules replaced, you or a Service center was throwing parts at a problem that never got fixed
2. MOTORS on Kwikee DO go bad, even in less than a year. The symptom is intermittent operation. The motor has a dead spot in the Armature. Kwikee Step motor reliability has dropped in the past 10 years ever since LCI purchased Kwikee.
3. To determine if you have a intermittent step motor is simple. Start the engine, IF the step functions you cannot test for a bad motor. IF the step fails to function, Open and close the entry door and look at the underside amber step light. IF THE STEP LIGHT GOES ON AND OFF WHEN OPENING AND CLOSING THE DOOR, THE WIRING IS CORRECT.
4. Now, with step not working open and close the entry door and when opening tap the step motor with a hammer. Not hard enough to dent the casing but hard enough to jar it. IF, after several attempts, the step starts operation, you have a bad motor and need it replaced. Doug

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Janss wrote:
I had a similar problem. Never knew if the steps would come out when I opened the door. Sometimes I'd be outside nearby and suddenly they came out on their own without even opening the door. One time they went in while I was on them!!

The problem was solved when an RV tech changed the door magnet and connecting wires.

Same here. This is easy to test to see if that's the issue though. Just get a magnet and place it on the sensor. If the steps extend and retract when the magnet is moved towards and away from the sensor, then there's either too much of a gap between the magnet in the door and the sensor in the door frame when the door is closed and/or the magnet has gotten weak.

My simple fix was to install a shim under the magnet in the door frame. I found a garden hose rubber washer made a perfect shim.

Swamp_Rat
Explorer
Explorer
I have to tap the frame switch with the back of a screw driver to get the steps to come out occasionally.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
It may be a chassis battery voltage issue. Try putting a trickle charger on your battery and see whether that cures it. Mine won't work on a marginal charge (under 13v). HTH,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Checked the ground wires and the door magnet. Everything looked fine. I'll check the grounds again and take my meter with me. I have been to the motorhome 3 times this week and the stairs didn't come out. Went over this morning, stairs came out and went back in when I closed the door. I just don't understand why it intermittent. Makes troubleshooting difficult.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
The gear box on mine keeps getting stuck. I remove it, open it up and clean out the old grease and add new.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start with what make of steps you have. If Kwickee they have a good online trouble shooting section. For you to have the motor and the control module replaced twice in 5 years something is not right. Is the light on under the steps?

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem. Never knew if the steps would come out when I opened the door. Sometimes I'd be outside nearby and suddenly they came out on their own without even opening the door. One time they went in while I was on them!!

The problem was solved when an RV tech changed the door magnet and connecting wires.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is really driving me nuts. The last two trips we have made, the steps didn't work when we were checking in, but when I got to our site, steps worked. Then we get back to the storage garage, and they quick working until I unhooked the Jeep and parked the motorhome in the garage, they started working again. And they worked several times until I started the engine. Now, steps not working again. I am about ready to give up on them and just carry a step with me but that is inconvenient for when driving/traveling. Once parked, no big deal.

Burch

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would be looking for a poor connection.
One common is the ground connection under the step. depending on make and model of step, there could be two.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker