cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth repairing?

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had a seal fail around a slide out that quickly advanced to a cracked sidewall. We took a 12 hour trip over rough roads, and 10” crack appeared above a slide.

Is this worth fixing? We tried to trade it in and the dealer basically didn’t want it. It’s a nice 7 year old 38’ fifth wheel that usually sells retail around $26,000 on the used market. I was willing to take $13,000 on wholesale trade, but when we arrived, the dealer walked away from the deal and said the rig is totaled. Of course as we hooked up and were leaving they ran out to offered us $10,000, but we were already tired of dealing with them.

Is a crack worth fixing and on an otherwise good shape camper?
5 REPLIES 5

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
It can be repaired. The front cap may need removal and part of the sidewall. You are probably looking at $5000 or so for the repair.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd certainly get an estimate.

If the resale is really $26k, you can get a lot of work done for $16k.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto on the above two posts. If the walls are fiberglass I'd check locally for fiberglass shops, often boat repair shops, after the cause is found and fixed. Why give up an otherwise good RV?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Probably broken welds or frame members at the front. You need to have someone experienced in frame repair evaluate it for you and get an estimate of repair costs. Then you can decide how to proceed.

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Before you do anything else drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop the crack from spreading, Next get some bids on the repair as this is something that should be repairable.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad