cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally replaced my propane regulator

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was finding it difficult to find another MEGR253 (in stock - lots of places list it but don't stock it) so when a CAMCO regulator fell into my hands I said "OKAY". Anyway, it had two 1/4" brass adapters on the inputs; I took them out and my existing hoses fit perfectly. Lots of hose wiggling but I got it installed and it works. YAY! Almost...

Today I had a close look at the "adapters" and discovered that they are one way valves - they're what stops propane from the other cylinder escaping through the pigtail of the empty cylinder I'm trying to change.

I've thought about leaving it as it and being very careful to close both cylinders when one needs filling, but that's inconvenient and possibly dangerous.

So now I'm searching for 3/8" to 1/4" brass adapter to put on the end of my pigtails then reinstall the 1/4" one way valves in the regulator.

Now I'm trying to understand what's an inverted flare versus NPT.

Grrr!
5 REPLIES 5

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is an image of the two check valves I took out of the regulator. The female end is inverted flare and the male end isn't.

I need an adapter that is 1/4" male flare and 3/8" NPT female.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my pigtails with new ones that don't have that one way valve built in. My regulator still keeps the propane from escaping. On MY regulator, those valves were not necessary. I have a Cavagna valve.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
Pigtails may have valves.
I wondered if that was the case for my pigtails. I think before I take it all apart again, I'll put one tank in and see if propane flows out of the other pigtail.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pigtails may have valves. Are you losing propane if the pigtail is removed?
Yes best to have the right equipment.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Joe,
Watch out for that one. There is one size pipe thread that will seem to go into one size of inverted flare fitting and it may even seem to "make up". But the pipe thread is taper and the nut for the inverted flare is not. If you are unsure of a female fitting, look in and if the bottom is nice looking, it is a most likely a flare. If the threads just "run out" it is a pipe fitting.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.