cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Both blinkers flash for right and left

dmussell56
Explorer
Explorer
On my Flagstaff T12rb when I turn on either the right or left turn signal, both right and left flash. It has a 7 pin connector as does my truck. I tested the truck to make sure that side sends iut the correct signal for right and left and it does.

When I look at the wires coming from the trailer harness there are only six wires running to the trailer. I can see the yellow wire (left turn) was cut off and is not connected to the trailer.

Is there anyway this ever worked without that wire being connected.

BTW, it was this way when I drove it off of the lot in 2021.

If they refuse to fix it under warranty is it as simple as connecting a wire to the yellow and run it back to the left rear light? Not that getting at the back light will be easy.
34 REPLIES 34

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
dmussell56 wrote:
I have no issues with cutting holes in the walls of my house to diagnose any issue because I know how ti fix it.

After learning what wires were what and figuring out how to pop off the tail light assembly, I looked at the right one first and it was wired properly. Brown wire (RT) to the red lead.

I take off the left tail light and what do I find? The installer had coupled the red wire (LT) AND the brown wire (RT) together and connected that to the red lead. That explains why both light blinked when either was turned on. Right or left, each was always getting power. Cut the red wires and into a separate connector and it works perfect.

When I started the topic I had no clue about any of this, and you people educated me to the point where I had the knowledge to recognize how it was ****** up when it left the factory.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. If we are ever in the same campsite, I will offer you a beer!!

Unbelievable that it could go out the door like that but itโ€™s awesome that you figured it out and are more knowledgeable for the โ€œnext timeโ€.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
The positions are labeled the same, but the colors are all different; hence you would be putting the wrong color wire on the terminal.

I stand corrected on the color code.
The chart on Etrailer's website is the same as the one Bucky posted. Could Etrailer be wrong?

Etrailer Link

The chart shows what they call โ€œtraditionalโ€. Scroll down to the diagrams of the plugs and they show both traditional and RV colors. Personally, traditional makes more sense because it extends the 4-6 pin color scheme and better matches the heavy duty one. I donโ€™t know who thought up the RV color codes. Nevertheless it is what it is and knowing what youโ€™re working with is the most important thing.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
The positions are labeled the same, but the colors are all different; hence you would be putting the wrong color wire on the terminal.

The chart on Etrailer's website is the same as the one Bucky posted. Could Etrailer be wrong?

Etrailer Link

There are 2 different versions of a 7 way Bargman. I posted the CORRECT one for RV's. I have no idea what the other version is used on. Also, 4 way flat(utility and boat trailers), the Yellow IS Left and the BROWN is Clearance and the GREEN is right. But when people try to update their 4 way flat to a 7 way, they use the wrong colors on the pins. Over the years it always seemed to be CW and U haul that screwed this up when wiring vehicles. Doug

Good to know what is correct. Thanks for the update.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Boon Docker wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:

Etrailer Link

There are 2 different versions of a 7 way Bargman. I posted the CORRECT one for RV's. I have no idea what the other version is used on. Also, 4 way flat(utility and boat trailers), the Yellow IS Left and the BROWN is Clearance and the GREEN is right. But when people try to update their 4 way flat to a 7 way, they use the wrong colors on the pins. Over the years it always seemed to be CW and U haul that screwed this up when wiring vehicles. Doug

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:

Etrailer Link

dmussell56
Explorer
Explorer
I have no issues with cutting holes in the walls of my house to diagnose any issue because I know how ti fix it.

After learning what wires were what and figuring out how to pop off the tail light assembly, I looked at the right one first and it was wired properly. Brown wire (RT) to the red lead.

I take off the left tail light and what do I find? The installer had coupled the red wire (LT) AND the brown wire (RT) together and connected that to the red lead. That explains why both light blinked when either was turned on. Right or left, each was always getting power. Cut the red wires and into a separate connector and it works perfect.

When I started the topic I had no clue about any of this, and you people educated me to the point where I had the knowledge to recognize how it was ****** up when it left the factory.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. If we are ever in the same campsite, I will offer you a beer!!

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boon Docker wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
bucky wrote:
7 wire color chart

Absolutely WRONG! This is the problem with using the Web to find out things. This is the correct RV 7 way. Doug

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497647827547757482/?nic_v3=1a1U2AKFw

The wiring of those two charts is identical.

Try again...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
bucky wrote:
7 wire color chart

Absolutely WRONG! This is the problem with using the Web to find out things. This is the correct RV 7 way. Doug

The wiring of those two charts is identical.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
bucky wrote:
7 wire color chart

Maybe you know, as I only learned this a few years ago, that there are 2 completely different wiring color conventions. Why?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
dmussell56 wrote:
I am learning from you people and the interweb. After a few searches I see the ESCO KAL wiring harness has 6 wires (yellow being aux), with red(LT&B) brown(RT&B), green(tail lights).

The harness wires go in to, (I wish I was smart enough to know what every part was called) a rectangular rubber "thingy", and a red, brown, green set of wires comes out the other side and goes to the back of my trailer.

Anyone who has forgotten more that I will ever know is laughing at my ignorance.

Anyway, it looks as if the right wires are indeed going to my tail light modules.

BINGO, That box is your problem. Once they went to LED trailer lights(low amp pull), some OEM's installed that box to allow the SIDE clearance lights to flash when turn signals ON. Left turn signal Left side markers flash. Right turn signal, right side markers flash. That box is defective. There should be a Brand and P/N on the box and if you are still under warranty, the OEM will replace. Doug

Thank you Doug. Very informative, learned something new today!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
7 wire color chart

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
7 wire color chart
Puma 30RKSS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad