cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving spots at RV park ? about weight distribution

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys so I have to move to a different spot today at the RV park. My trailer is relatively light weighing less than 5,000 lbs. Should I attach the weight distribution bars when moving spots, or is it okay to just use the ball hitch? I was planning on staying hooked up overnight as well. Thanks for any tips.
7 REPLIES 7

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it just to move around the park. I used to store my TT about a 1/2 mile from the campground and since it was an old country road where I could go slow I would just drop it on the ball and never had a problem. This was with a heavier TT (about 7K) and 1/2 ton pick-up (not the one in my signature).
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll be fine without the WDH.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
For that small trailer moving a few campsite down there is no need for the bars or even to have a the WD system hitched up for that short move.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've done it from time to time...

I'm assuming you are tooling around the park at 5mph, so most of the reason for a WDH goes away.

Even if it leaves you slightly over the carrying limit, I wouldn't worry too much. That's largely controlled by hitting a big bump at high speed...at 5mph, the dynamic forces will be nothing close to those at 60-70mph.

Do be careful to think things thru. It's really easy to mess something up when you aren't following your normal process.

Correction: I missed the part about staying hooked up...put the bars on. Nothing saved by not and one less thing to forget in the morning.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with ktmrfs. If not on the highway, and just moving short distance at 5 or 10mph, no bars needed. But if staying hooked up overnite (you don't mention if leaving next day or ?) I'd just hook them up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wdh not needed.
But then again, I wouldnโ€™t even own one for that light of a camper behind your newer F150.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
as long as your within the weight carrying capacity of of the reciever, (many recievers have a weight carrying limit that is less than weight distributing) not an issue IMHO. I move my trailer from the RV lot in our neighborhood to the driveway and back w/o hooking up the WD.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!