cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heater problem on new used RV

Bochim
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a Northwood 2011 Fox Mountain 245 rks. Really like the unit. When I turn on the heater it fires up and heats well. After temps rise and the unit shuts off it does not come back on. I can turn heater off and then back on and it will fire up again and then not come on. I suspect the thermostat but Iโ€™m not at all sure. Any suggestions? Thank you very much. Getting cold in Montana.
10 REPLIES 10

Bochim
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I usually have pretty good luck with eTrailer.com.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=dometic+thermostat&furl=-pg-Accessories_and_Parts

Thank You, Steve

dedmiston
I usually have pretty good luck with eTrailer.com.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=dometic+thermostat&furl=-pg-Accessories_and_Parts

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bochim
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
If it's the thermostat then pick up a battery powered Honeywell, they work well with the 12V power source in RVs, I've upgraded the thermostat in both of my trailers to Honeywells and they're much better than what ships with the RV (had to swap the AC control board in the current one to remove the "smart" thermostat control but it was worth it since it's saved me at least 3x what the thermostat and control board cost in energy savings)

Where do you recommend I purchase one of these online. I live remote.
Thanks, Steve

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's the thermostat then pick up a battery powered Honeywell, they work well with the 12V power source in RVs, I've upgraded the thermostat in both of my trailers to Honeywells and they're much better than what ships with the RV (had to swap the AC control board in the current one to remove the "smart" thermostat control but it was worth it since it's saved me at least 3x what the thermostat and control board cost in energy savings)
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Bochim
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Is your thermostat one of those cheap stats with an on off switch at the bottom and a slide at the top to adjust temperature?

If so next time it stops just pull the thermostat off the wall and connect the two wires together. If the furnace comes on then replace the thermostat. If not then look elsewhere.

I'm not sure if this is one of the cheap ones or not. It has hi and low blower speeds and also controls the ac. Expect it has more than two wires. Not sure what to do here.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Then I agree, start with thermostat. If the furnace didnโ€™t appear to short cycle then it likely is operating correctly
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Is your thermostat one of those cheap stats with an on off switch at the bottom and a slide at the top to adjust temperature?

If so next time it stops just pull the thermostat off the wall and connect the two wires together. If the furnace comes on then replace the thermostat. If not then look elsewhere.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bochim
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Are you sure thereโ€™s actually a problem? IE you know the temp physically dropped a couple/few degrees in the camper after shutoff or you turned the thermostat up higher to make it kick back on?

Thanks for your time and help and yes I'm sure there is actually a problem.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Are you sure thereโ€™s actually a problem? IE you know the temp physically dropped a couple/few degrees in the camper after shutoff or you turned the thermostat up higher to make it kick back on?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
Sounds like a thermostat problem to me too. That's easy enough to swap out and test.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230