cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what size inverter.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok so building another battery and I am wondering what the smallest size inverter people would run in a camper.

I am thinking if I get a 1500 watt inverter and if I decide to put a microwave in at some point then get a smaller 700 watt one. is a 1500 watt inverter practicle for most normal stuff?

the reason I am looking at that size is that is about a 125 amp draw so I can go with a 150 amp BMS and not be running flat out.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
32 REPLIES 32

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
otrfun wrote:
For those who may dry-camp a lot, an inverter's parasitic/no-load current might also be worth considering in addition to output capacity. Some larger inverters (>1500w) can have parasitic/no-load current as high as 3-4a. 3-4a can go-through 72-96ah in 24 hours---it adds up.

For what it's worth, we chose an Aims 2000w high-frequency inverter to power the microwave and a/c in our truck camper primarily because of its good inrush capability and low parasitic (and reasonable price). Aim rates the parasitic at .9a. We typically experience around .6 - .7a.

parasitic load is the whole reason I want to go as small as possible. to reduce that. I'll take a look at that one also. thanks
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
For those who may dry-camp a lot, an inverter's parasitic/no-load current might also be worth considering in addition to output capacity. Some larger inverters (>1500w) can have parasitic/no-load current as high as 3-4a. 3-4a can go-through 72-96ah in 24 hours---it adds up.

For what it's worth, we chose an Aims 2000w high-frequency inverter to power the microwave and a/c in our truck camper primarily because of its good inrush capability and low parasitic (and reasonable price). Aim rates the parasitic at .9a. We typically experience around .6 - .7a.

I know the Magnum 3000w hybrid inverter/ charger has 2ah or 48ah in 24 hours of idle draw.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
They do have hard wired options it appears..I'm not trying to sell giandel but everything considered,including warranty and customer support,there one of the best bang for your buck inverters..IMHO...

Buy direct from them and it's free shipping and no sales tax,which is a plus..I'm a sucker for no sales tax..lol

Giandel Direct
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
jaycocreek wrote:
As mentioned earlier,my 1000 watt PSW inverter(Wagan) runs my Commercial Chef microwave just fine, as does my 1500 MSW Wagan..And the toaster oven/coffee maker/Instant etc..Less than an amp idle draw..(.9) I think..

A 1500 watt inverter should,depending on the brand,run most anything you use for camping with power in mind..I just bought a 2200 watt Giandel for RV and home use,the only reason I went that route is for home appliances in a power outage..Idle draw is up in the air because of conflicting internet opinions,but Giandel is usually very low..This is my third one..

Lance trailers installs a 1500 watt GoPower in there new units..Perfect size and brand but expensive compared..

ya I have a go power in my 5th wheel, but I had that installed while they were still canadian owned and based in victoria BC. yes way more expansive but I got there package with the 5th wheel as I didn't realize how easy solar was to source and install back then. there have been rumors that when they sold the company to a US owner, the new owners starting using lower quality electronics. I never did find out which company was making there inverters 7 years ago but I will admidt I didn't look very hard. Giandel looks nice, do they have a hard wire option? I know my 3000watt go power has both. I guess if I realy have to I could just do a plug straint to the breaker box, then with the remote I could still hide it away and use the camper plugs.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned earlier,my 1000 watt PSW inverter(Wagan) runs my Commercial Chef microwave just fine, as does my 1500 MSW Wagan..And the toaster oven/coffee maker/Instant etc..Less than an amp idle draw..(.9) I think..

A 1500 watt inverter should,depending on the brand,run most anything you use for camping with power in mind..I just bought a 2200 watt Giandel for RV and home use,the only reason I went that route is for home appliances in a power outage..Idle draw is up in the air because of conflicting internet opinions,but Giandel is usually very low..This is my third one..

Lance trailers installs a 1500 watt GoPower in there new units..Perfect size and brand but expensive compared..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Veebyes wrote:
No harm in being a tad on the large size.

We have a 1000w pure sinewave but we never use it for the microwave or any other power hogs. The breakers for them are turned off when setting up for dry camping.

ya I only dry camp with the Camper. I do have 320 AH available to use and a fair bit of solar on it so I am not concerend about a lottle use of an inverter, but I do want to make it efficient and not waist power if it is in standby hence why I am looking to get the smallerst size I can get away with.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

We have a 1000w pure sinewave but we never use it for the microwave or any other power hogs. The breakers for them are turned off when setting up for dry camping.

I mostly dry camp and have found a great substitute for an electric coffee pot. I also do just fine without using the microwave. I don't need to turn off the microwave breaker. It does not run with DC.

So why do you need a 1000w pure sine wave inverter? The TV which I do not use, is 12v. My wife's Cpap runs on 12v. I have 12v chargers for the computers, camera, cellphones and almost everything else I use. The only exception is the charger for the batteries for my camera flash. The few times that is needed, I plug in a cheapie 100 watt inverter.

If you noticed, I dont have any 120V in the camper right now and pretty much all I do is dry camp as the solar takes car of its self. I have a couple young grand lids and one is still very young and on the bottle, yes there are other ways to warm up a bottle in the middle of the night but the microwave is much more convenient and a lot faster. its not like we will be cooking dinner for an hour in it, but would be nice to warm up a breakfast muffin for 15 seconds or stuff like that. maybe even microwave popcorn....

so the question I asked isnt do I need a microwave, no I dont NEED one, but rather can I get away with a 1500 watt inverter if I install a 700 watt microwave.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:

I mostly dry camp and have found a great substitute for an electric coffee pot. I also do just fine without using the microwave. I don't need to turn off the microwave breaker. It does not run with DC.

So why do you need a 1000w pure sine wave inverter? The TV which I do not use, is 12v. My wife's Cpap runs on 12v. I have 12v chargers for the computers, camera, cellphones and almost everything else I use. The only exception is the charger for the batteries for my camera flash. The few times that is needed, I plug in a cheapie 100 watt inverter.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Mine was measured with a Kill-a-Watt meter--which has been checked against a seriously expensive meter.

It is a Dometic.
1565 watts but did you measure power factor?

I think the PF killed my Prosine 1800 prematurely.

Hi time2roll,

My early version of kill-a-watt doesn't do power factor.

The microwave was originally powered by a MSW 2500 watt Cobra inverter rated to run motors. I would sometimes have to turn on a 120 volt load to "warm up" the inverter or it would fall over.

When I moved to PSW and 3000 watts that was no longer an issue.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rule of thumb is 125% of the maximum expected load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Mine was measured with a Kill-a-Watt meter--which has been checked against a seriously expensive meter.

It is a Dometic.

what was the advertised output of that one PT?
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

It is a Dometic.
1565 watts but did you measure power factor?

I think the PF killed my Prosine 1800 prematurely.