cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Charging on Truck Camper

bkenc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Just purchased a used 2009 Sunlite 8'. On a 2017 Ford F350. I would like to charge the battery (has a Group 24 RV battery) while driving. There is no manual. The TC has a 6 pin round male connector up front. Can I purchase a connector that uses my 7 blade trailer hook up that would connect to the 6 pin round to charge the battery? Or, do I need to run a direct line from the battery? Any help would be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

rtk2
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly if you have a higher voltage and high output module, you have to use a MPPT controller. The sky is limit if you want complexity. I thought the OP just wanted to keep his battery topped up. Actually with a smaller wattage panel, the MPPT consumes a significant amount of the output. As you correctly stated PWM is simpler and harvest the maximum amount of energy available. During the peak of summer the battery is likely to be full by 11:00 am if understand his use case correctly.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
rtk2 wrote:
Solar is not complicated. Get a 12 volt solar panel (80 watts will suffice), get a cheap PWT charge controller (10 amps will work) and fuses if you wish. Mount the charge controller close to the battery (connect with 12 awg wire is fine). Mount the solar panel on the roof using Z brackets, then run the same 12 gauge wire and connect to the charge controller. That's it.

except don't get a cheep PWT (PWM actualy) controler, get a good MPPT one(more efficient and not much more money, and measure for the biggest panel you can aford. I got my 325 watt split cell 24V panel out of sask but I picked it up at one of there wearhouses out here for 200 3 years ago. other than that ya its easy. I cut out a carboard chunk the size of my panel and played around on the roof till I found where to put it. have room for another later.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

rtk2
Explorer
Explorer
Solar is not complicated. Get a 12 volt solar panel (80 watts will suffice), get a cheap PWT charge controller (10 amps will work) and fuses if you wish. Mount the charge controller close to the battery (connect with 12 awg wire is fine). Mount the solar panel on the roof using Z brackets, then run the same 12 gauge wire and connect to the charge controller. That's it.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Solar is quite an investment, especially if you install enough solar to handle charging from heavy battery use. That's assuming you have enough roof real estate.

The sun doesn't always shine either.

I don't know why people think it is such an investment, and what i heavy battery use? as long as your not trying to run an AC then it is far from an investment, well, maybe if you buy it from a rv dealership and have them install it for about 10X the price if you source and install yourself. for me it was haf the price to put my solar on than to buy a 1000watt honda generator.

Heavy battery use is running the battery down to minimum capacity overnight. Something VERY easy to do unless you are judicious about your use of the modern conveniences. Running the furnace all night, for example, instead of putting on an extra blanket.

Yeah maybe you can install some solar for 1/2 the cost of a Honda 1000, but you have to be a "solar nerd" able to design your own system right down to the wires, and you know all the secret places to get the components, cheap. Most people want a plug and play system.

Charging from the truck on the road costs $0, handles any level of discharge, and doesn't depend on the sun to shine.

a different discoussion all togeather, but I camp in my cmper at 0 degrees F quite often, I have two 6V batteries in it, run the furnace all night and part of the day and have one 325 watt panel on it and I never run out of power. granted I have no 120V in it as I dont have an inverter yet, but I am not judicious at all with my power. I was just guessing when I bought my parts and installed them granted I did a lot of reading on solar forums first, but I am not any solar nerd by any means haha. I do agree a dc to dc charger for anything but a normal car battery is a smart investment also though. I can only go three days with out sun right now, soon to be 10 to 12 days. but yes it is nice to have an alternate method of charging even when your solar has never failed to have you back up to 100% before noon except when there was no sun one time.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that the wire gauge in the trailer connector is not a large enough gauge to do high amperage charging.

Chuck_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
If the wiring of the plug is standard, the charge wire will already be there. Here is the standard pinout of all 3 types of plugs:
https://www.dieselhub.com/towing/trailer-wiring.html

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
Put a solar panel on the TC roof & your batteries will be charged on the road, at your camp spot AND when it’s parked at home…. My batteries are fully charged EVERY day by sunlight…….

That doesn’t tell much . What size panels , for how long , to replace how many amp hours
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Solar is quite an investment, especially if you install enough solar to handle charging from heavy battery use. That's assuming you have enough roof real estate.

I don't know why people think it is such an investment, and what i heavy battery use? as long as your not trying to run an AC then it is far from an investment, well, maybe if you buy it from a rv dealership and have them install it for about 10X the price if you source and install yourself. for me it was haf the price to put my solar on than to buy a 1000watt honda generator.

Heavy battery use is running the battery down to minimum capacity overnight. Something VERY easy to do unless you are judicious about your use of the modern conveniences. Running the furnace all night, for example, instead of putting on an extra blanket.

Yeah maybe you can install some solar for 1/2 the cost of a Honda 1000, but you have to be a "solar nerd" able to design your own system right down to the wires, and you know all the secret places to get the components, cheap. Most people want a plug and play system.

Charging from the truck on the road costs $0, handles any level of discharge, and doesn't depend on the sun to shine.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Put a solar panel on the TC roof & your batteries will be charged on the road, at your camp spot AND when it’s parked at home…. My batteries are fully charged EVERY day by sunlight…….

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Old camper with a mfg specific or obsolete plug, cut the sucker off and install a matching 7 pin. Then everything is the same, no mix n match/adapters or old plugs. Easy to wire the 12V + pin for charging.
Or do the same but also install a dedicated charging circuit with or without a DC DC charger depending on how serious you are about charging off the truck.
Good luck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consider solar for primary recharging. No need to be driving.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bkenc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! Now I know how to start.