cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Space Storms Destroy Elon Musk's Starlink Satellites

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Space Storms Destroy Elon Musk's Starlink Satellites, and the Problem Is About to Get Worse

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/space-storms-destroy-elon-musk-s-starlink-satellites-and-the-problem-is-about-to-get-worse/ar-AA1203BY?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=21ef2bffd98b4d119b2f195581366a8c

Above article from Entrepreneurial magazine news. Found on Bing news page. Hopefully Musk can solve this problem but how. No control over Sun flares.
24 REPLIES 24

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I just report what I see on the news slow ones and I thought might be of interest to starlink users. And again for the slow ones the article was on yesterday's Bing news page. So save your snarky remarks and get a life out of the slow lane dum

Or.......maybe - skip/save posting outdated trivia!

As you can see - it is old news that starlink users are aware of - and has not affected their service....:R

But - you deserve credit for a dated ..."Gee Whiz"......:W

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
One of the joys of living in the countryside outside cities.

Earlier this year I upgraded from DSL 5mbps down 600K up for $15 less than I'm paying now.

Much cheaper and faster in cities.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
joebedford wrote:
I pay $100/month for Bell internet. 25mbps down 5 mbps up

I get up to 76 m/s down and about 7 up on my Sask tel account.

On Bell it seems to depend on time of day. Tonight at 7:30 pm, I'm getting 15 down, and 27 up. Later this evening the down will be faster as folks head for bed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I pay $100/month for Bell internet. 25mbps down 5 mbps up

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
time2roll wrote:
So where are the reports of Starlink users with no service?

Not here. Seeing 156 Mbps this morning.

Very recent news on Edge Browser Bing news is that in USA and Canada there has been dramatic drop off in Starlink speeds down to 65 Mps for $99.00 a month. In Canada down to 73 Mbs. Reason given is more and more heavy users piling onto the service. The other internet providers that charge this much offer Gigabit speeds. Just saying. Cheers to the truth.

Which of those gigabit providers is offering service in places like the mountains or deserts where there's not a large human presence? Starlink was never intended to compete with cable/fiber providers on their own turf. And do any of them offer service in the jungles and desolate areas on other continents at any price? Starlink is even serving Antarctica now at much higher speeds than their previous radio link that was barely adequate for basic email.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
While costly, it should not be a big deal since they just launched another batch of 50 satellites the other day.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Folks, I can watch movies on my laptop at 2m/s. 65 or even 25 is more than adequate. Most of what I do requires no more than 0.5 m/s

I wonder how many users there are on starlink.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Very recent news on Edge Browser Bing news is that in USA and Canada there has been dramatic drop off in Starlink speeds down to 65 Mps for $99.00 a month. In Canada down to 73 Mbs. Reason given is more and more heavy users piling onto the service. The other internet providers that charge this much offer Gigabit speeds. Just saying. Cheers to the truth.
So the truth seems to be the thread was started to gripe about Starlink.

Next post should include the high cost and bad equipment that needs to be purchased.

MrWizard
This was in the news couple of months ago,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to stay positive and enjoy my Starlink.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
time2roll wrote:

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was disclosed 5 days after the launch (Feb 3rd and Feb 8th), they lightened the next load and now know that if there's a flare they need to drop payload weight a bit. Overall between older test units, failed units, deorbit tests, SpaceX has lost/decommissioned 314 of 3,347 launched. They've lost more satellites in the last few years than the rest of the world combined has launched if you exclude cubesats, and other than the high loss rate from that batch it's mostly according to plan. Heck, they were launching sats knowing they were obsolete before they were built because eventually they need laser links to relay signals from the polar regions and far ocean locations to land based connection points to offer service to the lucrative airline and maritime markets.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Mine works just fine
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just report what I see on the news slow ones and I thought might be of interest to starlink users. And again for the slow ones the article was on yesterday's Bing news page. So save your snarky remarks and get a life out of the slow lane dum