cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November travel

bbeezzz
Explorer
Explorer
Due to medical issues, we can not depart Halifax for our trip south to Florida until November 12.
From experienced travellers, what can the roads be like through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and then down the east coast.
We will travel in our 30T Winnebago, SunStar towing our Equinox,4 down.

Thanks in advance.
Bert and Heather
7 REPLIES 7

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
afidel wrote:
What you might have some trouble with is finding campgrounds to stay at, many places in the North close at the end of October. Your best bet is state campgrounds where you probably won't have water but you'll have electric and access to a dump station.

If the rig is winterized, you might consider staying in a hotel with a big parking lot the first night or two.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
All bets are off in New England for any kind of prediction. There isn't anything you can do to change it so I'd take the advice of getting weather forecasts and choosing a route accordingly. If you take a more coastal route in the north it should decrease your chances of any heavy snow.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might get some snow but it's unlikely to accumulate. My birthday is just before Halloween and historically the first snow in NE Ohio generally hits between my birthday and the second weekend in November, but it's almost always a big lot of nothing that barely sticks to the grass let alone the roads. The last decade it's only snowed twice in that window, I've gone camping my birthday weekend more years than not since we got our first trailer 6 years ago.

What you might have some trouble with is finding campgrounds to stay at, many places in the North close at the end of October. Your best bet is state campgrounds where you probably won't have water but you'll have electric and access to a dump station.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bert and Heather,

Because of our strange circumstances, we used to often travel late in the year. Yes, we got snockered in a couple of times. Fortunately the first time it was early in the excursion and we had fully provisioned. That was really good. We just hunkered down somewhere out of everyone's way and watched the chaos unfold through the warm windows. About a day and an half later, we ventured out onto the highways again.
At the first opportunity we refilled the LP and other provisions to in the case that we might get hit again. (We didn't that time.) Ever since, when traveling late in the year we always have three solid days of provisions so we had hold up rather than be in the mayhem.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
About a week out, I would be checking for forecast along the route. Then pick the best window and be prepared to hold up for a day or two if the weather isn't conducive.

As noted, south of New York, it's unlikely to be a problem and if it is, they will have it cleared within a day in most cases.

Unless the medical condition limits you to short driving days, just try to make a good number of miles the first couple days to get 800-1000miles south.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Normally weather in NY south would present no problems. Mid December would be a toss-up.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the weather and is impossible to predict. I will say that Florida is getting their first cold front next week with temps in the 70's. Blizzards in November are unlikely tho on the east coast.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper