cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stolen Ford 350

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
When we think we're safe buying from a dealer ...

https://www.wmtw.com/article/stolen-truck-florida-couple-says-dealership-sold-to-them/41292574?fbclid=IwAR258uMcbACCkx0Zl8HWmBzdRLTo2UWrkRgDT7j_ZWHHoFrbb_KFdvFE6Zs
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
23 REPLIES 23

blt2ski
Been a few classic rigs stolen 30-50+ yrs ago. Chang hands privately, then a particular state does a major search by vin, low and behold, that 60' Vette or equal is/was stolen.

Hence one good reason to buy new per say....
But like ALL things great and small, there are negatives too.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Well, we do not know the entire story, or the Ford's history ... I thought it prudent to share it, so the guys looking at re-sale trucks, even at a dealer, would be careful and check everything you can before you purchase.

I'm betting this is not the only one nationwide -- probably happens more times than we can guess. Possibly even, the scam is never even discovered on some, and the buyer never knows it's stolen and enjoys the truck for years. It almost seems a fluke this one was discovered, but he went to a different service shop, and they found the discrepancy.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
1. Carfax is not, repeat NOT infallible. I was in the business for 30 years, so I know firsthand.

2. Auctions typically do more due diligence than a dealer would taking a trade-in. Over the years, I've seen auctions reject scores of vehicles due to tarnished histories.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
This dealer/owner has several new and used car dealerships in Central Florida, and offers Carfax on the used vehicles it sells. Have no clue how stolen vehicles get past that search. It does state the truck came from Colorado, so maybe an auction. It does not state how it was acquired.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
gbopp wrote:
A car dealer screwed someone? I can't believe it, they're always so honest. :B

Selling a stolen vehicle is a new form of low for a mainstream dealer. All the brand-name dealers around here only sell "carfax certified" used vehicles and give you access to the carfax reports for anything they sell.

I'm sure the shady fly-by-night types do it with regularity.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tvov wrote:
I have never heard of doing a "VIN search" on a new vehicle at a dealership. Buying used from a dealership also wouldn't occur to me to VIN search the vehicle.

Is this common at dealerships?

Iโ€™ll go out on a very short limb and say itโ€™s not at all common. But on Rvnet, ANYTHING can be a sky is falling type of issueโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
If its' new, I'd never think to do VIN search, If it's used, I'd do a search to see if it's ever been in a major accident, or check whatever maintenance records are available.

We've not bought a used vehicle very often. When we have, we've rejected several due to negative VIN records thru the companies that provide it, like Carfax, etc.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of doing a "VIN search" on a new vehicle at a dealership. Buying used from a dealership also wouldn't occur to me to VIN search the vehicle.

Is this common at dealerships?

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Thx BYU ...
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

monkey44 wrote:

Thx for clicky - I try it, but it never seems to exhibit as a clicky ๐Ÿ˜ž

Above where you type your message, select the link button.
Put the URL in the top box, and what you want the link to say in your post in the bottom box, click finished.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Typical American Greed. Not surprising. I have always done a very thorough VIN search plus other history search including visual inspection of VIN plate and door plate of all my trucks and trailers because of dishonest dealers just about everywhere. Made sure numbers on paper work matched actual VIN and door plate. Trust Us We are Your Good Neighbors, yada yada yada.

You think greed only exist in America?

A Statement like that sounds like you don't like this country?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Did I just miss it, or did the write up not address exactly how the dealership came about getting the truck? Trade-in? Auction? Direct buy from the previous owner? In any case, the due diligence must have fallen totally through the cracks. You can bet there's a LOT more to the story than we will ever know.

And BTW, "daddy always said you can,t trust a sales person." goes down as the most ignorant response to a post today. You can rest assured the salesperson had nothing to do with the acquisition of the vehicle.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A car dealer screwed someone? I can't believe it, they're always so honest. :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is weirdโ€ฆ.
Are these things yโ€™all actually think and care about?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold