cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power voltage to brakes??

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never been happy with braking on our C Creek. Just installing all new brake assemblies and checked voltage at right rear and it shows only 9.5 volts!!
This is not via the truck. I have it connected directly to a tested 12.6 volt battery .
Should I see that kind of a drop from the battery?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
41 REPLIES 41

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
Different issue but I have another question. Testing voltage at the truck battery while at idle I get a reading of over 14 volts.
At the trailer plug the โ€œbatteryโ€ test at about 12.3!

I am certain this has been covered elsewhere.

Modern cars and trucks VARY the voltage to the battery based on the STARTING battery state of charge.

Simple test. Start your vehicle and immediately check the voltage at the battery. Drive for 10 minutes or so. Now check the voltage at the battery. It will be lower, close to 13.2V.

The voltage at the connector, without the trailer connected, should be very close to the starting battery voltage.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Lower voltage at the brake magnets equals LESS CURRENT DRAWN BY THE MAGNETS.

This is BASIC DC ELECTRICITY 101.

Something worth checking. Are the GROUND connections all good ? You could be losing voltage there.

As a retired EE, I ASSUME modern brake controllers work differently than old one. Old one use a weight on a rotary shunt (variable resistor) to change the amount of current sent to the magnets. (Ohm's Law say, if the voltage is constant, then changing the TOTAL RESISTANCE in the circuit will change change the circuit. V=IR). Now a days I would ASSUME they use pulse width modulation which most meters can not properly read.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different issue but I have another question. Testing voltage at the truck battery while at idle I get a reading of over 14 volts.
At the trailer plug the โ€œbatteryโ€ test at about 12.3!
Normal??
Is this why after a day of driving the house batteries have gained nothing much at all ?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
otrfun wrote:
You could have simply asked me what my voltage readings were and saved yourself all the time and energy elaborating on Basic Electricity 101. Since this seems to be a very sensitive issue with you I'll provide you with a bit more detail.

It's because he's intense. He's intense and kind of a blowhard. He only has one gear that way. I've asked him to dial it back for years, but this is what we get: intense blowhardy mansplaining. Sometimes it's lovable, but lots of times it isn't.

Lol :B
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree with last couple posts! They are short, and to the point!

However the blowhard in question, is not the only one on these forums. In fact many times these know it alls are right/helpful, but get so far off track, they are only interrupting, good posts made by other knowledgeable members.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally some that feels the same as I. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston
otrfun wrote:
You could have simply asked me what my voltage readings were and saved yourself all the time and energy elaborating on Basic Electricity 101. Since this seems to be a very sensitive issue with you I'll provide you with a bit more detail.

It's because he's intense. He's intense and kind of a blowhard. He only has one gear that way. I've asked him to dial it back for years, but this is what we get: intense blowhardy mansplaining. Sometimes it's lovable, but lots of times it isn't.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Mmaxed wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Believe it or not, your IBC is much better over any of the current aftermarket controllers even with some of the short comings of it.
Absolutely not true, if his Ram is like my '15 was from the factory.

Someone at Ram decided that below 30 mph the trailer brakes would only need about 60% input. On the bigger brakes, 12" x 3" if memory served it was dangerous. More than one fellow reported rolling through an intersection. Ram did update the programming. My 2020 has very good trailer braking.
Lot of discussion ref the shortcomings of the 2013-2016 Ram IBC a few years back. The IBC on our '16 Ram 3500 never provided more than 2.2a braking current at each wheel---even with every internal preset set for absolute heavy, maximum braking. Got a full 3a powering the trailer brakes directly via battery. The IBC worked reasonably well under normal conditions. However, for emergency braking---it was sorely lacking. Bypassed the IBC and installed a Tekonsha P3. Problem solved---3a at every wheel if/when needed.
And once again, you CAN'T have AMPS without VOLTAGE.

Part of the problem with not getting more than 2.2 AMPS is from WIRE RESISTANCE. RV manufacturers take the low road on wire size, using the smallest wire gauge they can get away with. Just because the wire gauge can handle the max current of the circuit doesn't always mean it is the best size to use. Even in 120V/240V AC circuits there is a wire size table that calculates to correct wire size for the distance. Once you pass a certain length the tables tell you to use a larger wire gauge.. It isn't done because the wire can't handle the current, it is done to reduce the voltage loss.

The smaller wire size, the higher the resistance, higher the resistance the lower voltage you get at the end of the wire.

This becomes even more of an issue with LONGER trailers where there is more wire involved which equals even more wire resistance.

More wire resistance equals lower voltage present at the brake magnets.

Some controllers may overcome SOME of the problem by being a bit more efficient electrically wise, but not ALL of the problem.

Replacing the IBC with aftermarket is simply putting a bandaid on the real problem.. But if you like fixing everything with bandaids, then go for it. I would rather tackle the problem without resorting to bandaids.

The problem is more on the TRAILER END than on the controller end and the ones that experienced not enough braking and fixed it with an aftermarket controller simply bandaided and hid the problem with the trailer wiring.

RV manufacturers are known to be cheap, they tend to use whatever leftovers they have. I had one RV that had no less than three factory splices from the trailer tongue to the first axle.. And that was on a 20ft TT.. Talk about being cheap! They basically took the cut off scraps of wire to build that trailer.. When I got that trailer the brakes barely worked. That's when I discovered the ugly truth. Every single splice had severe corrosion.
Just because I didn't mention voltage does not mean I did not measure voltage. You could have simply asked me what my voltage readings were and saved yourself all the time and energy elaborating on Basic Electricity 101. Since this seems to be a very sensitive issue with you I'll provide you with a bit more detail.

I measured voltage (using a Fluke 7-600 VM) and current (using an Amprobe 320 DC clamp-on ammeter) 12" from the brake magnets, so nearly ALL the losses in the trailer wiring were taken into account with these readings. Voltage always remained >12.0v with the IBC, battery, and Tekonsha P3 in circuit with maximum braking current applied to 4 brake assemblies (~2.2a/8.8a, ~3a/12a, and ~3a/12a, respectively; source battery voltage for IBC, battery, and P3 was 12.5 - 12.7v). Clearly, the trailer's wiring was more than adequate and *not* an issue in this scenario. I might add this particular trailer had approx. 20 ft of 10 gauge wire running from the 7-pin connector to the axles (2 axles, 4 brakes), which kept voltage drop <=5%.

In light of the above voltage and current readings, it is more than obvious the IBC was the limiting factor in terms of total braking current (~8.8a vs. ~12a), and *not* the trailer wiring.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
That will be my first step. Replacing all the wires.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where did you mount it. Can you reach it comfortably. I like to use it manually if ever on ice.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:
Mmaxed wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Believe it or not, your IBC is much better over any of the current aftermarket controllers even with some of the short comings of it.

Someone at Ram decided that below 30 mph the trailer brakes would only need about 60% input. On the bigger brakes, 12" x 3" if memory served it was dangerous. More than one fellow reported rolling through an intersection. Ram did update the programming. My 2020 has very good trailer braking.
Lot of discussion ref the shortcomings of the 2013-2016 Ram IBC a few years back. The IBC on our '16 Ram 3500 never provided more than 2.2a braking current at each wheel---even with every internal preset set for absolute heavy, maximum braking. Got a full 3a powering the trailer brakes directly via battery. The IBC worked reasonably well under normal conditions. However, for emergency braking---it was sorely lacking. Bypassed the IBC and installed a Tekonsha P3. Problem solved---3a at every wheel if/when needed.

And once again, you CAN'T have AMPS without VOLTAGE.

Part of the problem with not getting more than 2.2 AMPS is from WIRE RESISTANCE. RV manufacturers take the low road on wire size, using the smallest wire gauge they can get away with. Just because the wire gauge can handle the max current of the circuit doesn't always mean it is the best size to use. Even in 120V/240V AC circuits there is a wire size table that calculates to correct wire size for the distance. Once you pass a certain length the tables tell you to use a larger wire gauge.. It isn't done because the wire can't handle the current, it is done to reduce the voltage loss.

The smaller wire size, the higher the resistance, higher the resistance the lower voltage you get at the end of the wire.

This becomes even more of an issue with LONGER trailers where there is more wire involved which equals even more wire resistance.

More wire resistance equals lower voltage present at the brake magnets.

Some controllers may overcome SOME of the problem by being a bit more efficient electrically wise, but not ALL of the problem.

Replacing the IBC with aftermarket is simply putting a bandaid on the real problem.. But if you like fixing everything with bandaids, then go for it. I would rather tackle the problem without resorting to bandaids.

The problem is more on the TRAILER END than on the controller end and the ones that experienced not enough braking and fixed it with an aftermarket controller simply bandaided and hid the problem with the trailer wiring.

RV manufacturers are known to be cheap, they tend to use whatever leftovers they have. I had one RV that had no less than three factory splices from the trailer tongue to the first axle.. And that was on a 20ft TT.. Talk about being cheap! They basically took the cut off scraps of wire to build that trailer.. When I got that trailer the brakes barely worked. That's when I discovered the ugly truth. Every single splice had severe corrosion.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mmaxed wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mmaxed wrote:

:R

Then you should have bought a Ford?

Even though the RAM version has some short comings, it still will be much better action/reaction than depending on your brake light switch then having a computer decode a accelerometer and then apply what it thinks as appropriate output (IE best guess mathematically).

And as the OP discovered, their RAM version has an additional effort setting of "light or heavy" trailer and the DEFAULT is LIGHT.. Bet not to many of the RAM complaints ever looked into the manual to figure out what "light or heavy" meant.. Does help to read the manual..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hey GDE, how many trucks with IBCs have you used and for how long?
And what trucks were they?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold