cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best ride for the buck

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
While we are happy with our current set-up, we find ourselves missing the advantages of a Class A - especially when travelling long distances. Our truck rides very well, especially when towing and our only experience with Class A's are the entry level gassers we had about 8 years ago. We had a Thor ACE which was great for weekends but it was exhausting to drive. Loud, rattly, wandering, and bone shattering on expansion joints. So while my focus is buying a used DP ($60-80k range) and possibly updating the interior, I don't want to rule out a decent gasser if it rode nice enough. My experience with gassers is jaded, but maybe there are some out there that are quiet and well mannered. I can get a newer Gas obviously but I don't want that to be the only advantage. I know nothing about diesel engines if it matters and that could be costly. I am only looking at Newmar, Tiffin and Winnie - unless a Fortravel or some other high end comes up in my filter criteria. I'd like to be in the 36' or less length. So, do I set my sights on a DP only, or are there gassers out there that are quiet and smooth for long days in the saddle?

BTW, I am not trying to start a Dp vs gasser debate. Really more about whether there are decent riding gassers out there that would rival a DP ride for less money.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
15 REPLIES 15

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Continued conversations with the DW I think are leading us to the path of a DP. We might go a little older and gut it to make the interior how we want it. As long as the mechanics, chassis etc are good we can do what we want to the interior. She's always been doe-y eyed about skoolies and bus conversions. And the're great, but I try and tell her if ride and comfort are what you are after, a school bus isn't it. So it seems the logical compromise is a DP we can customize. A full on bus conversion is a huge undertaking. But a well cared for DP with all the electrical, mechanical and plumbing in place becomes a much more manageable project to update the interior- for me anyway. Flooring, cabinets and furniture are something I am pretty good at and enjoy doing. Plus it would be something we can use while we update.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
ppine wrote:
Newer pick up and a travel trailer.

Our new truck and FW rides just fine. What we miss are the advantages of a Class A while travelling. As we travel further and make plans for longer and longer trips, things like bathroom accessibility, travelling with pets, access to food etc etc, while on the road become more important.

When we bought our FW our plans were to travel shorter and stay longer. Now we are shifting to travelling longer and staying shorter.

And after having a FW for 2 years I can say that parking, driving etc are so much easier in a Class A - for me anyway. A towed car behind a MH tracks with the MH. FW is a whole different animal. And I would guess a truck and TT would be worse than a FW.

You stated the case very well, I've heard it said that if
you arrive and stay awhile a 5th wheel may be better suited but if
you tend to travel more, then a moho makes sense.
We are on our 2nd pusher and when moving from a gasser the quietness
sold us immediately, we didn't have to yell at each other, we could
hear the radio, & tv.
When stopping, there is no need to get out if it's raining or dark, etc.
My BILs with 5th used to say you have to drag a car around I said, you
have to drag a trailer around, and you have to stop for the DW to pee. Besides, I've got 2 vehicles in case something goes wrong, and having an extra vehicle has saved me a couple of times, I just unhooked and drove to get a part, another time was to go get fuel.
That said most RVs just sit unused or they are used very little which is a shame but life gets in the way.
Either one trailer, gasser, or diesel is great fun if you use it.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
At that short length you do not need a DP plus there’s not many that short. I made the mistake of starting at 36’ because that was the longest for Public CGs…not true. Buy more MH than you think you need…one time.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
willald wrote:
We were in a somewhat similar boat as you, just over a year ago. Had a 36' Georgetown Class A built on a 2012 F53 V10 chassis. It had served us well over the years, but we were ready to down-size a little, and wanted something that rode better, and (mostly) wanted a better quality coach. We were tired of constantly finding and fixing shoddy construction issues on the Georgetown, and wanted something with better road manners. And, we wanted nothing to do with diesel, for various reasons (mostly the obscene cost).

One look and test drive of a Newmar built on the newer F53 chassis, and we were pretty well sold (see signature). Ford made significant improvements on their F53 chassis in 2020, giving it the newer big block 7.3 V8 engine, stiffer roll bars, better springs, etc. End result is a coach that handles and drives waaaay better than our old Georgetown did. And, as I'm sure you know, Newmar's quality on all their units is amazing, and very hard to beat without spending a lot more $$$.

There is no denying, that a DP chassis will ride better. However, that better ride comes at a very high cost. And, Ford really closed the gap on the DPs with the chassis improvements they made in 2020 on their F53 chassis.

You should definitely find one built on the newer F53 chassis and take it for a test drive. It just might restore your faith somewhat, in gas Motorhomes.

I agree with everything you said. The issue is budget. At $60-80k there's no way I am getting my hands on a new Ford Chassis even at an entry level.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in a somewhat similar boat as you, just over a year ago. Had a 36' Georgetown Class A built on a 2012 F53 V10 chassis. It had served us well over the years, but we were ready to down-size a little, and wanted something that rode better, and (mostly) wanted a better quality coach. We were tired of constantly finding and fixing shoddy construction issues on the Georgetown, and wanted something with better road manners. And, we wanted nothing to do with diesel, for various reasons (mostly the obscene cost).

One look and test drive of a Newmar built on the newer F53 chassis, and we were pretty well sold (see signature). Ford made significant improvements on their F53 chassis in 2020, giving it the newer big block 7.3 V8 engine, stiffer roll bars, better springs, etc. End result is a coach that handles and drives waaaay better than our old Georgetown did. And, as I'm sure you know, Newmar's quality on all their units is amazing, and very hard to beat without spending a lot more $$$.

There is no denying, that a DP chassis will ride better. However, that better ride comes at a very high cost. And, Ford really closed the gap on the DPs with the chassis improvements they made in 2020 on their F53 chassis.

You should definitely find one built on the newer F53 chassis and take it for a test drive. It just might restore your faith somewhat, in gas Motorhomes.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:

Our new truck and FW rides just fine. What we miss are the advantages of a Class A while travelling. As we travel further and make plans for longer and longer trips, things like bathroom accessibility, travelling with pets, access to food etc etc, while on the road become more important.

When we bought our FW our plans were to travel shorter and stay longer. Now we are shifting to travelling longer and staying shorter.

And after having a FW for 2 years I can say that parking, driving etc are so much easier in a Class A - for me anyway. A towed car behind a MH tracks with the MH. FW is a whole different animal. And I would guess a truck and TT would be worse than a FW.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Newmar uses "hung-wall" construction on the smaller diesels like the Ventana. This makes for a very quiet drive. Entegra only uses it on the Aspire and up. We had 2 gassers, Winnebagos and 2 DPs. There is NO comparison the DP wins all the time. We enjoyed a Journey for 75,000 miles and had no complaints about the noise.
But a DP costs more to buy and more to maintain. You have to use it enough to justify the money.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for all the replies so far. Sounds like the answer depends on the particular Rv which is what I expected. It does make sense that a heavier RV would handle better. Aside from floorplan which I think should always be the first priority, the 2 most important things are quality and ride comfort. I can deal with customizing the interior but really looking for the smoothest and quietest ride possible. We plan on touring the country soon for an undetermined amount of time as we search for our next place to grow a few roots as we have recently become empty nesters. We also like state parks so that was my consideration on a 36 ft length. I still have my tow bars and our CRV set up to tow. Probably need a washer dryer, but that's in the details and part of the floor plan. Everything for RV's is a concession - I get that, but ride comfort and quality is something I don't want to compromise on. Funny how your needs change. 10 years ago an entry level weekender was perfect, now it's all about quality and comfort.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 2018 Miramar 35.3 with the Ford V10. It's right at 37' long. I have no complaints about how it drives. I don't get pushed around by semis. I have driven it in the smokey mountains and the V10 pulled just fine. The only thing I would change is it does have quite a bit of body roll. The first time I drove it it kinda freaked me out but now I am used to it.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Our A is a 2010 Suncruiser gasser about 38 ft long. Drives very well and rides nice. Once on the interstate, with cruise on, i can drive all day without an issue.
2010 Suncruiser

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
My A is an older (‘05) 34’ Itasca on the F53 chassis. It is very smooth & quiet, it’s like an enormous Lincoln.

I wouldn’t hesitate a moment to buy another one exactly the same if I was shopping for a newer m/h.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We went from a 1ton dully pulling a 35' 5th wheel, to a 30ft Thor ACE. The ride was better in the ACE, the noise for us was bearable. We found that for weekends the ACE was ok but for long trips it just would not work.
We went to a 07 Itasca Meridian 37' with cummings engine. What a great choice for us. We have had it going on 4 years and almost 40,000 miles. The ride is better than the ACE however DW says that with the airbages its makes walking around while moving a little harder than in the ACE. I am not mechanically inclined so I have the unit serviced once a year. That way I know things are being looked after by folks who know.
Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Longer, heavier motorhomes generally ride better than short, light coaches. It will be more difficult to find diesel coaches 36 feet and under but there are plenty of gassers in the size you are looking for. I once owned a 37 foot gas coach that road and handled very nice although the motor was a little loud at times.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows