Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: New Maxxis tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > New Maxxis tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
NamMedevac 70

Reno

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 09/24/22 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have also used Maxxis tires for many years on my TT with outstanding excellent results towing the trailer all over western U.S. from Texas.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/24/22 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a MAXXIS losing the tread at about four years. Put Endurance on and so far so good.
Good luck with whatever you are running.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

fallsrider

Raleigh, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 11/11/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/24/22 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

I have also used Maxxis tires for many years on my TT with outstanding excellent results towing the trailer all over western U.S. from Texas.
Glad to hear it. We are low mileage travelers, though, staying local mostly. We average no more than 25 hours driving longer distances each year. I would expect my tires to last better than frequent travelers.

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/24/22 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used all manner of Chinese tires. The trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. I have pulled from Utah to the East Coast and back without a single issue. I have had no troubles with any Chinese tires I have used. I have used at LEAST 4 DIFFERENT BRANDS. I ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE NYLON CAP. I DON'T CURB HOP, RUN OVER 65 MPH, DO TIGHT TURNS, AND ALWAYS CHECK MY INFLATION.

According to some I am so lucky I should buy a lottery ticket! I suspect it just common sense.

The last tries were Greenball @ $68.00/each plus install.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 09/25/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CKNSLS wrote:

I have used all manner of Chinese tires. The trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. I have pulled from Utah to the East Coast and back without a single issue. I have had no troubles with any Chinese tires I have used. I have used at LEAST 4 DIFFERENT BRANDS. I ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE NYLON CAP. I DON'T CURB HOP, RUN OVER 65 MPH, DO TIGHT TURNS, AND ALWAYS CHECK MY INFLATION.

According to some I am so lucky I should buy a lottery ticket! I suspect it just common sense.

The last tries were Greenball @ $68.00/each plus install.
From 2006 to 2021, I did all of those bad things and more to my TTs tires without a single issue.
Since I am in Phoenix AZ, which is brutal on rubber, I do not push the age. I get new tires every 5 years... Other than that, my secret??? I ran LT tires. Michelin XPS RIBS. I abused the snot out of them and they took it in stride.
Go with LTs and stop making excuses for your tires.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW



Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/25/22 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

CKNSLS wrote:

I have used all manner of Chinese tires. The trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. I have pulled from Utah to the East Coast and back without a single issue. I have had no troubles with any Chinese tires I have used. I have used at LEAST 4 DIFFERENT BRANDS. I ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE NYLON CAP. I DON'T CURB HOP, RUN OVER 65 MPH, DO TIGHT TURNS, AND ALWAYS CHECK MY INFLATION.

According to some I am so lucky I should buy a lottery ticket! I suspect it just common sense.

The last tries were Greenball @ $68.00/each plus install.
From 2006 to 2021, I did all of those bad things and more to my TTs tires without a single issue.
Since I am in Phoenix AZ, which is brutal on rubber, I do not push the age. I get new tires every 5 years... Other than that, my secret??? I ran LT tires. Michelin XPS RIBS. I abused the snot out of them and they took it in stride.
Go with LTs and stop making excuses for your tires.


Reading comprehension….
A. He’s not making excuses, unless you mean making excuses for how WELL his tire have held up.
B. LT tires for 14” trailer rims? You’re way off base here. Even if 15”. LT tires don’t become viable, readily available or available at all until the 16” and up sizes.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/19/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/22 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on my 3rd set in 15 years. Date code always runs out before the tread, but haven't had an issue with them yet other that rot/cracking between the tread rows when date runs out.

As far as I know, they are rated for 65 mph but I see a lot of people towing far above that. Courting disaster, IMO.


"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/01/22 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mosseater wrote:

on my 3rd set in 15 years. Date code always runs out before the tread, but haven't had an issue with them yet other that rot/cracking between the tread rows when date runs out.

As far as I know, they are rated for 65 mph but I see a lot of people towing far above that. Courting disaster, IMO.


Do you and the others actually realize that the vast majority of light duty ST tires, in all sizes are rated for higher than 65mph now? Have been for years.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/01/22 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've run 3 sets of Maxxis tires on two different trailers, getting 25K or so miles/set before either tread wear (usually) or date came due for replacement. Did have one get a nail puncture, which the TPMS caught WELL before pressure dropped enough to result in tire failure. Other than that never any problems. But then the Towmax OEM tires on our Outback went 20K miles w/o any problems either.

The current sets on both my trailers are the Goodyear endurance. Endurance is one of the few ST tires with a >65mph speed rating w/o capacity derating, (85mph speed rating full rated load) and price wise were actually a few $$ less than Maxxis. Sof far I've only had the Goodyears for two years and one set has about 6K miles, the other 2K miles so can't verify reliability.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/01/22 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

CKNSLS wrote:

I have used all manner of Chinese tires. The trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. I have pulled from Utah to the East Coast and back without a single issue. I have had no troubles with any Chinese tires I have used. I have used at LEAST 4 DIFFERENT BRANDS. I ALWAYS MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE NYLON CAP. I DON'T CURB HOP, RUN OVER 65 MPH, DO TIGHT TURNS, AND ALWAYS CHECK MY INFLATION.

According to some I am so lucky I should buy a lottery ticket! I suspect it just common sense.

The last tries were Greenball @ $68.00/each plus install.
From 2006 to 2021, I did all of those bad things and more to my TTs tires without a single issue.
Since I am in Phoenix AZ, which is brutal on rubber, I do not push the age. I get new tires every 5 years... Other than that, my secret??? I ran LT tires. Michelin XPS RIBS. I abused the snot out of them and they took it in stride.
Go with LTs and stop making excuses for your tires.


Reading comprehension….
A. He’s not making excuses, unless you mean making excuses for how WELL his tire have held up.
B. LT tires for 14” trailer rims? You’re way off base here. Even if 15”. LT tires don’t become viable, readily available or available at all until the 16” and up sizes.


Agree on LT tires.
Last I looked I could find NO 15" LT tires with a load rating that would handle my trailer. 16" no problem, lots available, but not in 15" unless your only needing a LR C ST tire.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > New Maxxis tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.