cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire time

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
ok so I am wondering what tires people are buying and having deicent luck with. had my second blow out in 39 years so time to look at tires.

I was going to go with the sailune but I don't want to have to buy new rims right now so it will be a standard under 100psi tire.

thanks

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
25 REPLIES 25

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
Buy a LT (truck) tire instead of a ST (trailer} tire.

sorry Im of the opinion LT tires are for trucks not trailers that are subjected to the huge sidewall flexing. mind you I wouldnt mind trying some sort of tire with low rolling friction to see if it makes a difference on milage...

Actually LT and P tires can and are operated in a trailer position many years before usa tire mfg came out with a ST tire.

ST and LT both have to pass a "bead unseating testing" per the FMVSS 571 which has showns no difference.

The LT vs ST has been settled 10-12 years ago mostly from lay persons and actual usage.
One of our better informed members (SeniorGNC) complied those testing procedures and results in this ST vs LT testing.

Bead unseating (sidewall strength) testing shows no difference between a ST or LT.

I don't think it was settled, ony that two out of the 4 testing criteria are the same. but I will take another look into my own resorces and who knows, maybe I will look at a LT. only problem is how much would it cost for the same load rating....
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
haha on my old trailer I had a blow out on the factory tires that were 10 years old, traded the trailer on the 5th wheel a year later. hit a pretty rough railroad crossing. last month I lost one of the factory tires that was 6 years old on the 5th as I went through the construction zone for the highway that was washed away last fall out here. I am assuming I ran over somthing I didnt notice....

Depending on how conservative you want to be most recommend replacement at around 5-7yrs. At 10yrs, you were living on borrowed time and the payment came due.

Even a brand new tire may not survive road debris, so that's not really an indication of a good/bad tire.

yup, this last one was just shy of 6 years old.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
haha on my old trailer I had a blow out on the factory tires that were 10 years old, traded the trailer on the 5th wheel a year later. hit a pretty rough railroad crossing. last month I lost one of the factory tires that was 6 years old on the 5th as I went through the construction zone for the highway that was washed away last fall out here. I am assuming I ran over somthing I didnt notice....

Depending on how conservative you want to be most recommend replacement at around 5-7yrs. At 10yrs, you were living on borrowed time and the payment came due.

Even a brand new tire may not survive road debris, so that's not really an indication of a good/bad tire.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
corvettekent wrote:

sorry Im of the opinion LT tires are for trucks not trailers that are subjected to the huge sidewall flexing. mind you I wouldnt mind trying some sort of tire with low rolling friction to see if it makes a difference on milage...

Actually LT and P tires can and are operated in a trailer position many years before usa tire mfg came out with a ST tire.

ST and LT both have to pass a "bead unseating testing" per the FMVSS 571 which has showns no difference.

The LT vs ST has been settled 10-12 years ago mostly from lay persons and actual usage.
One of our better informed members (SeniorGNC) complied those testing procedures and results in this ST vs LT testing.

Bead unseating (sidewall strength) testing shows no difference between a ST or LT.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that case I have and recommend Goodyear Endurance.

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:

I did that once but then the got stolen. Never had that problem with ST tires.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
dfm wrote:
Last year I put Sailun, 16 inch G rated on my trailer and I run them at 95 PSI , as recommended by Fountain tire in Kamloops.

realy. if you don't mind, send me a PM and let me know how much they charged for them. first time I have seen some one else from kamloops on here.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
corvettekent wrote:

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
You only buy tires after a blow out?

How about post the tire size and the trailer GVWR?

I have alway gone by tread and sidewall condition. on the Island we dont get the sun effect as much as say california and when I inspect if there is no weird wear or broken belts they keep getting used. so on the island my tires lasted 10 years before a blowout. when I moved to the interior and got the 5th wheel, last spring I saw one tire with a broken belt and changed it. this year I lost one of the others. both time is road hazard caused though.. but I noticed my spair has a broken belt, I have to replace the blowen one, and that leaves 1 that is 6 years old so I might as well just put new ones on and use my one put on last year as the new spair.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JIMNLIN wrote:
Depends on what your trailers OEM axle ratings are.

For 5.2k-6k axle I use a good all season tread 16" LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs per tire. Michelin XPS Ribs and Bridgestone R238 are a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire and are tops for those size axles

For My triaxle GN stock trailer with 7k axles I use Sailun S637 ST235/80-16 load G tire at max sidewall. In a heavy tire like a load G I personally wouldn't use any pressure less than 90 psi. Those are a very heavy stiff commercial grade tire and like all commercial grade tires they can run hot with lower pressures.

What ever tire that lasted 39 years I would stick with that brand...:B

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
I happen to think that it isn't necessary to run max sidewall pressure for a tire. IMO you can vary your pressure to reflect the amount of weight on that tire. I ran "G" rated Sailun 16" tires at 95 psi for years, and they still looked good when I sold the trailer, and they were over 6 years old. I was running a triple axle toyhauler with about 2,500 lbs. on each tire, I weighed them so I know. I didn't need to the full 110 psi, and the resultant rough ride. It worked great for me.

I used to thing that also untill I realy started diving into it. it might be a mute point if you use the 5th wheel as little as I do laitly but when I retire and start uing it more it will matter. lower air pressure in a ST tire can allow more sidewall flex leading to iregular wear patterens and increased internal tire heat. at least thats what sailun told me as well as 4 other tire manufactures. so now I run full pressure.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Carlisle HD is the new gen ST tire from them. With 10/32" of tread depth vs Endurance 8/32" of tread depth this will give you more miles of service. Many rvers don't go by mileage anyways but just age so tread depth doesn't mean much to those like one poster says his trailers tires were 6 years old with 5k miles on them
I see the HDs are more popular for this reason on a couple cargo/enclosed trailer forums where some say their getting 35k-38k miles of trouble free service from the HDs. This type trailers are usually work around big city construction types....not doing long hauls across country.

How can we tell if the ST tire brand is bad ?

Two ways I've used.
One is check out NHTSA tire complaints website for the brand your having issues with.
And when your have blowouts/run flats/tread delams on a brand xyz tire on work trailers/rv trailer.....then use the same tire maintenance program with a different brand/type tire and don't have any more issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I went with these just a month ago. So far so goot. I know they artent the best tires in the world, but they fit my budget and sure beat the tires that were on there since 2005.

Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires linkhttps://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Radial-Trail-Trailer-Tire-235/dp/B01M0OCK5G
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I just posted in another thread not to use any tire made in CHINA, they're junk. I only use Michelin truck tires on my 5th wheels, since 2012, and have not had any tire issues. I am currently using Michelin XPS Ribs, a commercial truck tire, and will continue to use them.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE