Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: tire time
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > tire time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
ericosmith

Michigan

Full Member

Joined: 02/08/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/25/22 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corvettekent wrote:

Buy a LT (truck) tire instead of a ST (trailer} tire.


I did that once but then the got stolen. Never had that problem with ST tires.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/25/22 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In that case I have and recommend Goodyear Endurance.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/26/22 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

corvettekent wrote:

Buy a LT (truck) tire instead of a ST (trailer} tire.


sorry Im of the opinion LT tires are for trucks not trailers that are subjected to the huge sidewall flexing. mind you I wouldnt mind trying some sort of tire with low rolling friction to see if it makes a difference on milage...

Actually LT and P tires can and are operated in a trailer position many years before usa tire mfg came out with a ST tire.

ST and LT both have to pass a "bead unseating testing" per the FMVSS 571 which has showns no difference.

The LT vs ST has been settled 10-12 years ago mostly from lay persons and actual usage.
One of our better informed members (SeniorGNC) complied those testing procedures and results in this ST vs LT testing.

Bead unseating (sidewall strength) testing shows no difference between a ST or LT.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/26/22 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

haha on my old trailer I had a blow out on the factory tires that were 10 years old, traded the trailer on the 5th wheel a year later. hit a pretty rough railroad crossing. last month I lost one of the factory tires that was 6 years old on the 5th as I went through the construction zone for the highway that was washed away last fall out here. I am assuming I ran over somthing I didnt notice....


Depending on how conservative you want to be most recommend replacement at around 5-7yrs. At 10yrs, you were living on borrowed time and the payment came due.

Even a brand new tire may not survive road debris, so that's not really an indication of a good/bad tire.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/27/22 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

haha on my old trailer I had a blow out on the factory tires that were 10 years old, traded the trailer on the 5th wheel a year later. hit a pretty rough railroad crossing. last month I lost one of the factory tires that was 6 years old on the 5th as I went through the construction zone for the highway that was washed away last fall out here. I am assuming I ran over somthing I didnt notice....


Depending on how conservative you want to be most recommend replacement at around 5-7yrs. At 10yrs, you were living on borrowed time and the payment came due.

Even a brand new tire may not survive road debris, so that's not really an indication of a good/bad tire.


yup, this last one was just shy of 6 years old.


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/27/22 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

corvettekent wrote:

Buy a LT (truck) tire instead of a ST (trailer} tire.


sorry Im of the opinion LT tires are for trucks not trailers that are subjected to the huge sidewall flexing. mind you I wouldnt mind trying some sort of tire with low rolling friction to see if it makes a difference on milage...

Actually LT and P tires can and are operated in a trailer position many years before usa tire mfg came out with a ST tire.

ST and LT both have to pass a "bead unseating testing" per the FMVSS 571 which has showns no difference.

The LT vs ST has been settled 10-12 years ago mostly from lay persons and actual usage.
One of our better informed members (SeniorGNC) complied those testing procedures and results in this ST vs LT testing.

Bead unseating (sidewall strength) testing shows no difference between a ST or LT.


I don't think it was settled, ony that two out of the 4 testing criteria are the same. but I will take another look into my own resorces and who knows, maybe I will look at a LT. only problem is how much would it cost for the same load rating....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > tire time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.