cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing/trip planning app ???

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK-- I've been using the Good Sam trip planner for a few years and it's OK, not great, but usable. As usual, I renewed my Good Sam membership back in January, this time with a 3 year subscription so I could get a few $'s off and a merchandise certificate at Camping World.
My new membership card never came nor did the merchandise certificate. I called and wrote Good Sam. They said it was mailed and to wait. It still never came. I called and wrote again. They said the would send out another one. It never came...8 months later. I asked again and they essentially said too bad, so I contacted my credit card company and disputed the charges and got my money back. Heck of a way to treat a 20 year plus customer.

Anyway, looking for recommendations on a routing/trip planning app. Preferably free !

Thanks
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
12 REPLIES 12

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use “Waze” on my phone, free, works great.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Garmen unit for trucks. You can actually talk to the unit to give directions or ask questions with using your hands.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I did all the driving and my DH was my co-pilot and GPS/Trip Navigator. Since he passed, I try to plan my trip to my destination and book camps ahead of time. I don't like doing that, but I can't be messing with the software while I'm driving. I've been using Good Sam's trip planner but I'm ready for something that allows me to set the mileage I plan to travel that day and what options are available. Gonna give Trip Wizard a try.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best two ever are gone.

I assume you are talking about MS and the Delorme software. I have both and while they may be good for planning, they are grossly out of date on campgrounds and roads. I stuck with Delorme and it regularly got us lost multiple times every trip. Mainly because it was so slow on my modern high speed notebook. It would tell us to turn minutes too late.

Now we use RVTW for planning, it is tied into Campground Review and has tens of thousands of campgrounds. They have even started adding boondocking spots. And then for navigation we use Garmin RV. And it works very well with some minor glitches.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Matt_Colie wrote:
The best two ever are gone. .
Both took some learning to make them fully capable, but they were both capable of planning to a lever that nothing current is even near.
Matt

What were they? I used streets and trips for multiple years.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Use Google Maps for routing.
Gasbuddy for cheaper gas.
Campendium and then follow to the campground link to verify. (I often backcheck via other sources once I pick a campground)

Keep in mind with credit card charges, they put the money back in your account while they sort things out. The merchant can submit back that it's a legitimate charge...then you have to submit back...this back and forth can go on for a while depending on if one side gives up. Given how long between the purchase and the challenge, you might lose simply based on waiting too long. Your best hope is it may not be worth the merchants time to challenge it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
The best two ever are gone. I still use one for major planning, but I will morn the loss of these two for as long as I travel.
Both took some learning to make them fully capable, but they were both capable of planning to a lever that nothing current is even near.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't use a "trip planner". This works for me. To be honest, I haven't found a "trip planner" that I like. (Warning lengthy post... stop reading now if a lengthy post bothers you)

I have a Next Exit book, a Rand McNally trucker's atlas and a Rand McNally mid sized road atlas. I ripped the midsized atlas apart and it lives in sheet protectors in a 3 ring binder, just like the Next Exit does. I always have my daily route written down on paper.

To plan a trip, I use various websites, the Next Exit and the midsized atlas. I build and save the maps in Google My Maps. I will find a place/area to visit and build a map around that and save it for later. I prefer to find a "base" campground/RVpark and daytrip from that base. I have several "maps" saved in My Maps that I can build into a new trip.

Since I like to run US highways along with a few state and county roads, I use the trucker's atlas to make sure there isn't a problem with my route. Once I get my basic route marked out on the Mid sized atlas with wet erase markers (and this is why they are in sheet protectors), I double check my stops on Google satellite view to see where my best parking will be.

GasBuddy.com is good for finding fuel stops. Although I default to Sam's Clubs and Murphy's for fuel, particularly if overnight parking (ONP) in a Sam's Club lot (most of the time, not always, those two have the cheapest prices, unfortunately not all Sam's Clubs have diesel). I do unhook to get fuel as it's easier and I top off fuel either the night before or in the morning before heading out.

Once my trip is finalized, I plug it into the CoPilot. Each day is a trip. I have discovered that is easiest to work with. I have the (paid) CoPilot RV app on a dedicated tablet (VANKYO MatrixPad S7 7 inch Tablet). The tablet allows me to take the my GPS in my old towed or the truck camper or anything else I decide to drive. I tried the RV Trip Wizard trip planner and GPS app but it lost it's mind somewhere down the highway (Arkansas, I think). I find the CoPilot app easier to use.

For Daytripping, I use Onlyinyourstate.com to find places to visit and then pin them to one of the maps I saved in Google. For example, I recently read a book set in Charleston SC. So I have been looking at places to visit there. I like living museums, botanical gardens and food. So my map reflects those places that I find interesting. I also have several campgrounds/RVparks on that map. But no driving routes to/from my base as I'm not at that point. When I decide on a base, I will create a driving map, from my location to that base. Then the other POIs will be chosen. I can delete the POIs as I decide. Charleston is one of those places that will require multiple trips in order to see all the places I want to see. Plus I will be adding more places to the map as I find them. Along with where to get fuel while I'm there.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use the trip planner at freecampsites.net
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
The Garmin map and route is the best. Buy the one made for truckers. It has a larger screen and is easier to read as you are bouncing down your RV trip. You can also give verbal commands without using your hands.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
RVTW RV Trip Wizard is the best I know about. Now you mention it I never got a certificate from GS either. I'm surprised you can challenge a charge that late.

Yep, I told AMEX that the certificate never arrived after multiple requests. My charges were immediately refunded.
I guess Marcus thinks that most people will forget about the certificate and thus just puts the money in his pocket, after writing it
off as a marketing expense.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVTW RV Trip Wizard is the best I know about. Now you mention it I never got a certificate from GS either. I'm surprised you can challenge a charge that late.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper