cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock Collectors

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I pick up rocks whenever we are traveling... just little rocks with pretty colors and shapes. Sometimes I find pieces of glass. I have a jar-full and I'm thinking I would like to have a Rock Tumbler.
Do any of you do this and do any of you have a Rock Tumbler? If you do, I would love suggestions. I see there are many on Amazon, but I don't know how to choose!
I would welcome any input.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only down side is they are fairly noisy.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
My Mother collected rocks every time they traveled. There were several bushel baskets full of rocks in the basement when we cleaned out her house.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
So never knew there were more DW out there that brought home bags of rocks. We were gone all summer and returned with 4 plastic bags full of rocks from all over. Large ones small ones, the tumbling idea did get into her mind but i think (i hope) its pasted.

Good Hunting
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vette Racer wrote:
I had to laugh at this thread, I only wish my wife brought home a "few" rocks, no tumbler needed around here. I haul at least 300 lbs of rocks home every winter from AZ and in the summer haul about the same amount home from CO. Anyone need rocks let me know. LOL.

๐Ÿ™‚

Sort of why I posted the movie The long, Long Trailer which has a spot highlighting the collecting of rocks as you travel..

Its a classic funny movie..

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
I had to laugh at this thread, I only wish my wife brought home a "few" rocks, no tumbler needed around here. I haul at least 300 lbs of rocks home every winter from AZ and in the summer haul about the same amount home from CO. Anyone need rocks let me know. LOL.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one "Complaint" I have about rock tumblers.. they are noisy.

So be sure to put a box around 'em something with good sound absorption padding.

When you titled the thred.. I thought of joke.. but it does not fit these forums so that's all folks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also good for polishing brass cartridge cases
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Just be warned it takes a lot longer than you think it does. Hard rocks will survive and be polished, soft rocks will be ground to dust.

Yes, some stones can take hundreds of hours.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great for polishing gold and silver jewelry also using steel tumbling media.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry got rid of mine. Had it just for the kids leaning and enjoyment. It was just a low cost starter kit from Amazon. Worked fine.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be warned it takes a lot longer than you think it does. Hard rocks will survive and be polished, soft rocks will be ground to dust.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
The title of your post made me think of..

:B

Sort of a bit like my Mom, she liked to "collect" rocks from her travels with my Dad.. Although Moms rocks wouldn't fit into a tumbler..

HF does sell rock tumblers

Found HERE at HF for $70

For small quantities they also have a single version HERE at HF for $50

Looks like they also carry some different grits for polishing.

That is a same model (different brand) that I have. Bought it 30 years ago and still works just fine.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The title of your post made me think of..

:B

Sort of a bit like my Mom, she liked to "collect" rocks from her travels with my Dad.. Although Moms rocks wouldn't fit into a tumbler..

HF does sell rock tumblers

Found HERE at HF for $70

For small quantities they also have a single version HERE at HF for $50

Looks like they also carry some different grits for polishing.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
Harbor Freight sells a decent cheap one that will let you get started and see if you like it.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION! i WILL CHECK IT OUT.
LINDA