cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starter / battery issues

Bill242
Explorer
Explorer
Had a strange thing happen with my rig. The day before it started with no problem. Turn the key and you hear the engine turn over then start up. The next day (second day of a 6 hour per day trek) I turn the key and the engine is slow to crank but ultimately starts up. Got home and the next day, I tried to start it and everything seems as normal. Is this a starter issue? Battery is strong.
8 REPLIES 8

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
tobydad wrote:
simplest first - check that battery connections are tight. If you can move them, they are too loose.

I once fixed a starting problem for a friend even after a tow truck had been out to look things over...simply by tightening the battery connections. If they are loose, they won't start the car predictably and they won't accept a charge from the alternator predictably. Check that first.

If your battery has been drained "a bunch of times" (10 or more??) since you've had it, it is likely damaged.

Obviously you want to find what is causing your draw. Fixing the PROBLEM is always best. One thing though I would suggest, IF YOU HAVE SOLAR on your rig, is to install a Trik-L-Start device (http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html). Very easy to install and your coach solar will keep your chassis battery charged (...provided your leak isn't excessive). I have it installed on all 3 of my RVs.

Another thing you can do, is install this $15 solution to keep your chassis battery from getting drained:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBFKM5Y

Good luck! I hate dead batteries!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take it to the nearest Autozone/NAPA/whatever, they can test it, and diagnose the problem.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
simplest first - check that battery connections are tight. If you can move them, they are too loose.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
1.5 hours is not long enough to fully charge if the battery was somewhat low. Two weeks drain is going to be hard on the battery. These start batteries don't like going much below 80% charged. If the battery has been low enough to jump start multiple times it may have lost capacity and has become marginal. Need to track down what is draining the battery before replacement. Not always an easy task. Have any accessories been added the last couple years?

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Malfunctioning alternator diodes can cause a parasitic draw that can drain a battery overnight.
Use a multimeter, an ammeter to the battery. If there is a draw when sitting idle, start pulling fuses .
Isolate the circuit causing the draw, then you have narrowed the field.

Bill242
Explorer
Explorer
Time2roll - I have been plagued with a drainage issue. If it sits for 2 weeks with no activity - have to jump it to start. I have recently replaced the alternator and the battery is new within 3 years. If I had something drain it that one night, wouldnt driving it for an hour and a half charge it back up?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slow to crank would seem to indicate low battery or intermittent poor connection. Any chance something was draining the chassis battery for a few hours that one night? How old is the battery? 5+ years might be time to swap it out.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know what strong means. Get the battery load tested, free at auto stores. Alternator is also suspect, next is wiring and corrosion. Starter is a possibility. Do you have and tried the emergency start? Have you jump started it?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob