cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for new tires already?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Apparently the OEM Goodyear wranglers on my F350 are not the best tires. A little over 30k miles and they are worn out already. For some reason I recall getting 50-60k miles on tires on my previous F150. Are larger trucks that much harder on tires or are these just cheap?

Any suggestions on a decent new tire that won't break the bank? 275/70/18 E rated for hauling the FW.

I've seen guys on CL selling pretty new take-offs. I wouldn't mind going with a little taller tire and rim if the price were right but seems like most guys aren't selling E rated ones. What's with all the low profile tires on trucks. Doesn't that render your truck pretty useless?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Low profile is fine until you go off pavement and encounter some rough situations. Most trucks just run around the city so the tires are just to look good.

Low profile is great for cornering but tends to eat up the treads quick.

Makes sense in a sports car...not so much for a big pickup.

Yer both substantially out to lunch here. Both fundamentally and specifically in the context of this thread.
1. Aside from a few high trim level model 1/2 tons, or significantly "brodozered" trucks, there isn't a full size pickup LD or HD that reasonably has a low enough profile setup to be of any hinderance doing "truck" things, like towing, hauling, off roading, driving over curbs, etc.
2. The sidewall profile vs tire wear is not relative in the way you posted it above.

More uninformed jaw flapping from geezernet on the low profile thing....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
Low profile is fine until you go off pavement and encounter some rough situations. Most trucks just run around the city so the tires are just to look good.

Low profile is great for cornering but tends to eat up the treads quick.

Makes sense in a sports car...not so much for a big pickup.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The Falcon would be my pick as well. Hard to beat how well the tire performs and the cost is reasonable. I have them on three pickups and as soon as the Toyo AT3's are done on a DRW, they will get the Wild Peaks next. The Toyos perform well, really well actually, but dam they are not going to last anywhere near as long as they should. I don't know if they will hit 40K.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

Any suggestions on a decent new tire that won't break the bank? 275/70/18 E rated for hauling the FW.

Click

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Apparently the OEM Goodyear wranglers on my F350 are not the best tires.

....Snip....

What's with all the low profile tires on trucks. Doesn't that render your truck pretty useless?
Unfortunately "Wrangler" includes several lines of tires ranging from top to bottom. I recommend top line GY or get something else. I am running the GY Wrangler AllTerrain with Kevlar and the perform and hold up well in all conditions.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
way2roll wrote:
Apparently the OEM Goodyear wranglers on my F350 are not the best tires. A little over 30k miles and they are worn out already. For some reason I recall getting 50-60k miles on tires on my previous F150. Are larger trucks that much harder on tires or are these just cheap?

I've seen guys on CL selling pretty new take-offs. I wouldn't mind going with a little taller tire and rim if the price were right but seems like most guys aren't selling E rated ones. What's with all the low profile tires on trucks. Doesn't that render your truck pretty useless?

I bought my truck with 20" BFG AT KO2s and they only lasted about 25K was mentingd before diesl 1 tons are harder on front tires and when you tow a large 5th and try drive like your empty it is just as hard on the rear tires, but 25K was rediculous. I am on my 3rd set of salun terramax AT and the previous two sets both hit 90000km or about 55K miles and they offer road hazzard and are all season (winter mountian snowflake) rated so I don't need to change over. 90% of the trusk use is towing the big 5th or hauling the camper so its pretty hard on tires.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"How you drive matters. Most people corner too fast." TRUE!!!

Also most over inflate rears and underinflate fronts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just sold my Ford F-350 diesel after driving it for 20 years.
I got over 60,000 miles per set of tires, using Toyo Open Country and Cooper Discovery. On the original tires about 50,000 miles.

How you drive matters. Most people corner too fast.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I ran the OEM Michelin LT265/70-17 E LTX AS on my '03 2500 Dodge/ Cummins for 113k miles before they finally wore down close to the wear bars."

Nice to see someone else get good mileage from those. I would buy 3rd gen take offs and easily get 120k and plenty of tread left. If they had BFG's I would get 100k easily. Of course I would get called a liar when reporting that mileage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
All that said, skinny little tires on the front of a heavy diesel dually combined with very few running true steering tires on LDTs is one of the worst recipes for long tire life.

On my 05 DW D/A 4x, I kept the 216-85 rear tires, put a same diam reves per mile 245-75-16 hwy tire. On IHC, put 245-75-19.5 instead of stock 8-19.5, again, same diam etc....both doubled the front tire life due to the fatter tires on the front. Steering, braking was better too.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got over 60K miles with OEM Goodyear tires on our Chev 2500. Most towing 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers. Such a great tire, I put the same tire on when we needed new tires.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
All that said, skinny little tires on the front of a heavy diesel dually combined with very few running true steering tires on LDTs is one of the worst recipes for long tire life.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I ran the OEM Michelin LT265/70-17 E LTX AS on my '03 2500 Dodge/ Cummins for 113k miles before they finally wore down close to the wear bars. The tire had hard rubber with very poor traction on any wet/frozen surface.
The same OEM Michelins in a 16" LT E on a new '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins lasted 84k miles close to the wear bars.
Went with a Bridgestone Revo at that time. Huge gain in traction. Ran them for 68k miles till they made too much noise for my use.
I'm rural out here with lots of highway miles with very little city miles. I'm a conservative driver and don't square my corner turns like I see many LDTs/cars/suv drivers do.

I've always got over 60k mile out of light truck tires on 3/4 and one ton LDTs even the ones I had in service (hiway).

I still use Bridgestone or Cooper AT type tires on my LDTs.

Jimlin
People doing any kind of highway use will always get more miles on tires than someone like me that does maybe 20% highway. I'm always scrubbing the front tires on turns, stop and go one in micro spinning or skidding the tires. This can easily make a 2-1 ratio of Mike's per tire highway vs city use.
Even the rubber compound, tread design etc make a difference

Marty

Both very informative posts and things that most people donโ€™t comprehend or even think about.
To bionic manโ€™s post, Colorado was the most tire eatinโ€™ place Iโ€™ve lived. But we were in the mountains and every drive to anywhere was high speed highway with tight turns. Only place I routinely would have tires flipped outside in on the rims to get more tire life as the outside half of tread would wear quicker than the inside.
AZ seemed bad too. Maybe all the mountain towing and extreme heat.
By comparison, living in W WA for the last decade, is the easist conditions on tires.
My reasoning, not as extreme speed and curves as the Rockies. Even the major passes here are less extreme and I90 is pretty straight comparatively over Snoq. Less heat and duration of hot weather in the summer and the big one, rain. An avg of over half the year on wet roads equals less tire wear from all actions as driver controlled input is less harsh by default and coefficient of friction is less and easier on the rubber.

blt2ski
JIMNLIN wrote:
I ran the OEM Michelin LT265/70-17 E LTX AS on my '03 2500 Dodge/ Cummins for 113k miles before they finally wore down close to the wear bars. The tire had hard rubber with very poor traction on any wet/frozen surface.
The same OEM Michelins in a 16" LT E on a new '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins lasted 84k miles close to the wear bars.
Went with a Bridgestone Revo at that time. Huge gain in traction. Ran them for 68k miles till they made too much noise for my use.
I'm rural out here with lots of highway miles with very little city miles. I'm a conservative driver and don't square my corner turns like I see many LDTs/cars/suv drivers do.

I've always got over 60k mile out of light truck tires on 3/4 and one ton LDTs even the ones I had in service (hiway).

I still use Bridgestone or Cooper AT type tires on my LDTs.

Jimlin
People doing any kind of highway use will always get more miles on tires than someone like me that does maybe 20% highway. I'm always scrubbing the front tires on turns, stop and go one in micro spinning or skidding the tires. This can easily make a 2-1 ratio of Mike's per tire highway vs city use.
Even the rubber compound, tread design etc make a difference

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer