cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grey Tank Filling

GSwalker2022
Explorer
Explorer
We are first time fifth wheel owners and have a 2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH we bought three weeks ago and has a 44 gallon gray water tank. We left our camper connected to water, power and sewage when we left for four days to visit our son in college. I dumped the gray tank prior to leaving, but as soon as we returned it was 2/3 full. No one was in our trailer and I spent hours searching and found no leaks inside from sinks or shower and nothing was running (we do not have w/d hookup). I have a water pressure regulator connected and set to 42PSI. Do we need to turn off the water when we leave for an extended amount of time to prevent this from happening again? Could we have a leak somewhere that is not visible? Would anyone be able to assist in this matter? Thank you.
20 REPLIES 20

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
GSwalker2022 wrote:
Thank you all for the insight. I can now honestly take this as a rookie mistake and not make it again.

Mistake or not, If you truly have a leak you ought to find it. You don't want to camp someplace without water and/or sewer hookups and find out that you either run out of water, or fill up the tank.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
were all rookies, we learn as we go. welcome aboard.

GSwalker2022
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the insight. I can now honestly take this as a rookie mistake and not make it again.

GSwalker2022
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
1st - NEVER leave your RV for a few days with water hoked to it.... If you had a leak it could have been catastrophic..

Ditto on that, we had a line blow off the toilet and a mini flood.

The meters are notoriously wrong most of the time but on a brand new unit they might still be working. The problem is that the sensor, which is just a metal rod, picks up solid material which ruins their accuracy. The worse obviously is the black tank. There are better sensors but I've never heard of an OEM installation of the better units.

42 PSI should be fine, I have my regulator set about there. Less will give you anemic water flow out of the faucets and shower.

Thank you. 42psi has worked for my wife and I pretty well throughout.

GSwalker2022
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
The fresh water gauges usually work OK. They are still pretty limited and we can get around 7-8 gal more into the fresh water tank after the gauge shows full (but be careful of overfilling).

Basically, they shove a metal electrode thru the tank wall at various heights and connect them to an electrode at/near the bottom of the tank. If water reaches an electrode, the water completes a circuit with the bottom electrode and a light on the gauge. With the black & gray, moist crud on the wall of the tank can create the same circuit even when the tank is empty. You can try and keep them clean but it's a losing battle.

The black & gray tanks...It's more an odd curiosity if they ever show empty. Get in the habit of emptying before storage and then try to get a feel for how many days you can go between dumping (it will vary based on your usage and how big the tanks are).

42PSI is fine...when you are present. If leaving for a longer period of time, at a minimum shut off the tap. If it's going to be days, disconnect the hose.

After waking one night on our boat many years ago (same basic water system design), hearing a hissing sound, we tracked it down and found a hose had split and was filling the bilge. Since then, we operate off the fresh water tank and pump. If there's a leak, we will hear the pump running and investigate. Also, worst case scenario, once the tank is empty, it won't pump anymore water into your RV. A leak behind a cabinet can soak the floor/wall and if left for a long period of time, can cause expensive water damage.

Thank you for the insight and personal experience/example.

GSwalker2022
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"We left our camper connected to water, power and sewage"

Leaving your camper attached to a pressurized water source is extremely dangerous. Something "pops" and you have ruined your RV. Was the sewer line open? Or closed?

Thank you.

GSwalker2022
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Leaving your camper attached to a pressurized water source is extremely dangerous. Something "pops" and you have ruined your RV. Was the sewer line open? Or closed?

It was closed.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The fresh water gauges usually work OK. They are still pretty limited and we can get around 7-8 gal more into the fresh water tank after the gauge shows full (but be careful of overfilling).

Basically, they shove a metal electrode thru the tank wall at various heights and connect them to an electrode at/near the bottom of the tank. If water reaches an electrode, the water completes a circuit with the bottom electrode and a light on the gauge. With the black & gray, moist crud on the wall of the tank can create the same circuit even when the tank is empty. You can try and keep them clean but it's a losing battle.

The black & gray tanks...It's more an odd curiosity if they ever show empty. Get in the habit of emptying before storage and then try to get a feel for how many days you can go between dumping (it will vary based on your usage and how big the tanks are).

42PSI is fine...when you are present. If leaving for a longer period of time, at a minimum shut off the tap. If it's going to be days, disconnect the hose.

After waking one night on our boat many years ago (same basic water system design), hearing a hissing sound, we tracked it down and found a hose had split and was filling the bilge. Since then, we operate off the fresh water tank and pump. If there's a leak, we will hear the pump running and investigate. Also, worst case scenario, once the tank is empty, it won't pump anymore water into your RV. A leak behind a cabinet can soak the floor/wall and if left for a long period of time, can cause expensive water damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my gauge set to 44psi. Just enough for the wife not to complain when taking a shower.

Both my gray and black tank idiot lights have read full for a few years now and I know they are both empty at the moment. I ignore them.

There was a piezo buzzer on the board that always squawked saying the tanks were full until I removed it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Some RVers are so concerned about the damage a "pop" in the fresh water lines would cause that we fill our fresh water tanks and use the pump...and turn the pump off when not using water. Water is the your number one enemy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
1st - NEVER leave your RV for a few days with water hoked to it.... If you had a leak it could have been catastrophic..

Ditto on that, we had a line blow off the toilet and a mini flood.

The meters are notoriously wrong most of the time but on a brand new unit they might still be working. The problem is that the sensor, which is just a metal rod, picks up solid material which ruins their accuracy. The worse obviously is the black tank. There are better sensors but I've never heard of an OEM installation of the better units.

42 PSI should be fine, I have my regulator set about there. Less will give you anemic water flow out of the faucets and shower.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
GSwalker2022 wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I figured as much when we returned. As for the gauge, we went off the LED light tank gauge inside and when dumped, did not quite look as though it was 2/3 full. Our water heater is electric at this time and we have not used the gas heater yet. In your eyes do you believe that the 42psi is too much for this model?

The PSI is fine. Just don't leave the water hooked up/on when leaving. Don't leave the water heater on either. Aside from building pressure, it wastes electricity and and can burn up the element if the water drains off for some reason while un-hooked. RV fixtures are cheap and can spring a leak and RV's also aren't famous for being put together well. Lots of people have plumbing issues on new RV's (among other things). Don't take any chances. Good idea to shut the propane off too. I would say in this case you got lucky.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

GSwalker2022
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
GSwalker2022 wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I figured as much when we returned. As for the gauge, we went off the LED light tank gauge inside and when dumped, did not quite look as though it was 2/3 full. Our water heater is electric at this time and we have not used the gas heater yet. In your eyes do you believe that the 42psi is too much for this model?

Nothing wrong with 42 psi... my Watts gauge is set to 60 psi for inbound water....

Thank you.