Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Grey Tank Filling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Grey Tank Filling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

1st - NEVER leave your RV for a few days with water hoked to it.... If you had a leak it could have been catastrophic..


Ditto on that, we had a line blow off the toilet and a mini flood.

The meters are notoriously wrong most of the time but on a brand new unit they might still be working. The problem is that the sensor, which is just a metal rod, picks up solid material which ruins their accuracy. The worse obviously is the black tank. There are better sensors but I've never heard of an OEM installation of the better units.

42 PSI should be fine, I have my regulator set about there. Less will give you anemic water flow out of the faucets and shower.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


Lwiddis

Southern California :(

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RVers are so concerned about the damage a "pop" in the fresh water lines would cause that we fill our fresh water tanks and use the pump...and turn the pump off when not using water. Water is the your number one enemy.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


2112

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Posted: 09/26/22 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my gauge set to 44psi. Just enough for the wife not to complain when taking a shower.

Both my gray and black tank idiot lights have read full for a few years now and I know they are both empty at the moment. I ignore them.

There was a piezo buzzer on the board that always squawked saying the tanks were full until I removed it.


2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/26/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fresh water gauges usually work OK. They are still pretty limited and we can get around 7-8 gal more into the fresh water tank after the gauge shows full (but be careful of overfilling).

Basically, they shove a metal electrode thru the tank wall at various heights and connect them to an electrode at/near the bottom of the tank. If water reaches an electrode, the water completes a circuit with the bottom electrode and a light on the gauge. With the black & gray, moist crud on the wall of the tank can create the same circuit even when the tank is empty. You can try and keep them clean but it's a losing battle.

The black & gray tanks...It's more an odd curiosity if they ever show empty. Get in the habit of emptying before storage and then try to get a feel for how many days you can go between dumping (it will vary based on your usage and how big the tanks are).

42PSI is fine...when you are present. If leaving for a longer period of time, at a minimum shut off the tap. If it's going to be days, disconnect the hose.

After waking one night on our boat many years ago (same basic water system design), hearing a hissing sound, we tracked it down and found a hose had split and was filling the bilge. Since then, we operate off the fresh water tank and pump. If there's a leak, we will hear the pump running and investigate. Also, worst case scenario, once the tank is empty, it won't pump anymore water into your RV. A leak behind a cabinet can soak the floor/wall and if left for a long period of time, can cause expensive water damage.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


GSwalker2022

Huntsville, AL

New Member

Joined: 09/26/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

"We left our camper connected to water, power and sewage"

Leaving your camper attached to a pressurized water source is extremely dangerous. Something "pops" and you have ruined your RV. Was the sewer line open? Or closed?


It was closed.

GSwalker2022

Huntsville, AL

New Member

Joined: 09/26/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

"We left our camper connected to water, power and sewage"

Leaving your camper attached to a pressurized water source is extremely dangerous. Something "pops" and you have ruined your RV. Was the sewer line open? Or closed?


Thank you.

GSwalker2022

Huntsville, AL

New Member

Joined: 09/26/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

The fresh water gauges usually work OK. They are still pretty limited and we can get around 7-8 gal more into the fresh water tank after the gauge shows full (but be careful of overfilling).

Basically, they shove a metal electrode thru the tank wall at various heights and connect them to an electrode at/near the bottom of the tank. If water reaches an electrode, the water completes a circuit with the bottom electrode and a light on the gauge. With the black & gray, moist crud on the wall of the tank can create the same circuit even when the tank is empty. You can try and keep them clean but it's a losing battle.

The black & gray tanks...It's more an odd curiosity if they ever show empty. Get in the habit of emptying before storage and then try to get a feel for how many days you can go between dumping (it will vary based on your usage and how big the tanks are).

42PSI is fine...when you are present. If leaving for a longer period of time, at a minimum shut off the tap. If it's going to be days, disconnect the hose.

After waking one night on our boat many years ago (same basic water system design), hearing a hissing sound, we tracked it down and found a hose had split and was filling the bilge. Since then, we operate off the fresh water tank and pump. If there's a leak, we will hear the pump running and investigate. Also, worst case scenario, once the tank is empty, it won't pump anymore water into your RV. A leak behind a cabinet can soak the floor/wall and if left for a long period of time, can cause expensive water damage.


Thank you for the insight and personal experience/example.

GSwalker2022

Huntsville, AL

New Member

Joined: 09/26/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Quote:

1st - NEVER leave your RV for a few days with water hoked to it.... If you had a leak it could have been catastrophic..


Ditto on that, we had a line blow off the toilet and a mini flood.

The meters are notoriously wrong most of the time but on a brand new unit they might still be working. The problem is that the sensor, which is just a metal rod, picks up solid material which ruins their accuracy. The worse obviously is the black tank. There are better sensors but I've never heard of an OEM installation of the better units.

42 PSI should be fine, I have my regulator set about there. Less will give you anemic water flow out of the faucets and shower.


Thank you. 42psi has worked for my wife and I pretty well throughout.

GSwalker2022

Huntsville, AL

New Member

Joined: 09/26/2022

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the insight. I can now honestly take this as a rookie mistake and not make it again.

midnightsadie

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 01/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/26/22 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

were all rookies, we learn as we go. welcome aboard.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Grey Tank Filling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.