Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Picture Window Glass Removal

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Has anyone here removed an intact picture window glass from the aluminum frame with it still in the trailer?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision
9 REPLIES 9

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to replace the tempered glass ( which I've removed, removed the sealant and reinstalled temporarily ) with a piece of lexan, into which I will cut a hole to accommodate the stove. The trailer is on a permanent site.

Thanks to those who replied.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bguy wrote:
I want to install a window pellet stove.

Worry less about the window and make sure you've thought through the whole process first, IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
99% of RV trailer windows, the glass is installed BEFORE the frame is joined together. So, you have to remove the complete window and frame, which will do for you since you just need access. REMOVING the existing glass from a RV trailer window frame would mean a LOT more work and you may not get the glass sealed correctly IF YOU COULD remove just the glass. Except for the inside blinds and such, it is very easy to remove almost all RV trailer windows. As another mentioned, I have probably removed in excess of 1000 windows and reinstalled in my career. You should be able to find the inside retainer mount screws. The other type is a flip bead,(rarely used on RV trailers). Doug

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
bguy wrote:
Hi All,
Has anyone here removed an intact picture window glass from the aluminum frame with it still in the trailer?

bguy wrote:

Hi bguy,

If you are looking for access to inside the camper, and on some campers, the fridge won't fit through the door, so a window etc. has to be removed. This sounds close to what you want to do. The fact of using a pellet stove in a camper is a whole other topic.

If you are doing your picture window removal to get something in or out of the camper, we and you, really need to know the type of RV window you have.

Many RV windows have the glass sealed with special bonding adhesive to the aluminum frame by the window manufacture. This creates a water tight seal of the glass itself to the aluminum frame. Then the window manufacture ships a window "unit" (glass and frame) to the RV manufacture who mounts the frame of the window unit into a rough opening in the camper. And the RV manufacture seals the window unit to the side of the camper.

In this case, it would be more prudent to remove the window unit from the side of the camper to expose the rough opening and leave the glass bonded to the window frame.

I have removed and installed, "lots" of windows into the rough openings of a camper complete with pics etc. on how to do this. But we need to know which type of window you have to give the right procedure.

Please post pics of the entire outside and inside of the window which include the outside of the camper and the inside of the camper walls. If by chance you have a window brand name and or model number, that is real good, but pics help show what you have.

Hope this helps.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it is intact, why do you want to remove it?
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take the whole trailer to a glass shop they can do it,or tell you how to .

There are different styles of frames with different methods of holding the glass in.

My TT for example, has a rubber reveal molding on the outside of the window frame. It locks into place with a pressure fit into a notch in the frame provided for that purpose.

To take the glass out, the rubber strip is removed, exposing the edge of the glass. There is an adhesive glazing tape or similar holding the glass to the frame. This has to be cut with a utility knife blade from the inside, releasing the glass. Then the glass comes out to the outside.
This is my TT. Others will vary.

Best to look for a reveal molding that comes out somewhere.
If you can post some pictures here that would help ID the style of window you have, so we can offer input.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com