cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rotten egg smell, again???

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I read where it comes from the water heater, anode rod? So how do I get it on the cold water side when hooked up to city water?
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS
17 REPLIES 17

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
After flushing everything, smell is gone. Thanks for all the help.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I have to flush and bleach the heck out of my tanks sometimes.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the zinc anode rod is better for eliminating the rotten egg smell
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
freewayrandy wrote:
Maybe I'm an idiot but can't quite see how battery water level affects my water supply.

It doesnโ€™t. If you only get the smell when you run water then it has something to do with your water system. Or park water. See if it has odor coming out of the park faucet.

I'm the only one out of 5 in our group that had the smell so not the park water. So must be my system. Yesterday, drained water heater, flushed it, lots of white crud came out, put in new anode rod. Sanitized fresh tanks, 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gals. Ran all taps to get solution thru entire system. So far no egg smell. Run more today then drain and flush again.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turn off water heater, turn off water, remove plug or anode from water heater and drain the tank (unless you have a valve to do so). Replace plug/anode/close valve, and refill the tank with water.

Trying to flush it out by simply running good water into 10-12 gallons of smelly water will take forever.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
WELL did you find the problem? lot good answers.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Happens when minerals react if WH is not used for a few weeks either with or without anode rod. If on full hookups just run water through water heater for 20-30 minutes and the smell will go away.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
lhenry8113 wrote:
House battery burning up-check water level.

If they're low on water, also check the voltage they're being maintained ("floated") at - If it's more than 13.8, you've got a problem with the house battery charger.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
freewayrandy wrote:
Maybe I'm an idiot but can't quite see how battery water level affects my water supply.

It doesnโ€™t. If you only get the smell when you run water then it has something to do with your water system. Or park water. See if it has odor coming out of the park faucet.

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
House battery burning up-check water level.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep sounds like your batteries are boiling smells like rotten eggs.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
If you have flooded lead acid batteries, you should check the water level.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
We were at an RV park and no one else had the issue. I've changed my filters to no avail.