Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Load Range F Tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Load Range F Tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/22 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And as of yet, the OP still hasn't even alluded to whether his current and past tire choices for the trailer had good tire life or not....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lawnspecialties

Garner, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/22 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe my original post read wrong but I didn't think so.

My landscape trailer had E rated tires. I was contemplating going to F rated tires for $10 more per tire. I'd like to see better tread life and longevity. When I had G614s on our last toy hauler, they were fantastic. Excellent wear, never lost pressure, and an all-around good tire.

I'm not putting G rated tires on a landscape trailer. $10 more per tire is OK. $50 more per tire isn't worth it.

Either way, I already ordered the F rated tires off eBay. If this were my toy hauler, I'd probably get tires from a local dealer. But this is a landscaping trailer. It's not worth the huge extra expense for Gs and eBay tires are absolutely fine.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/22 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got 5-6 yrs typically running LT215-85-16 or 225-75-16 hauling a 765 bobcat, and tbo15 trackhoe on the same trailer doing landscape work. Typically 10,500 on axles, 1500-1700 hw. I usually ran cooper highway tires. Usually rotted in some shape or form before out of tread.
I choose not to skimp on tires too much in the 35 yrs before semi retiring 5 yrs ago. I did find coopers generally speaking a good bang for buck tire all around.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

lawnspecialties

Garner, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/22 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

I got 5-6 yrs typically running LT215-85-16 or 225-75-16 hauling a 765 bobcat, and tbo15 trackhoe on the same trailer doing landscape work. Typically 10,500 on axles, 1500-1700 hw. I usually ran cooper highway tires. Usually rotted in some shape or form before out of tread.
I choose not to skimp on tires too much in the 35 yrs before semi retiring 5 yrs ago. I did find coopers generally speaking a good bang for buck tire all around.

Marty

Coopers have been my favorite truck tire for years now. Both my F350s have a set. Never tried them on the trailers.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/22 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

blt2ski wrote:

Marty

Coopers have been my favorite truck tire for years now. Both my F350s have a set. Never tried them on the trailers.

That would make no sense since Cooper doesn't make trailer tires that I've ever seen and a 235-85-16 LT tire would be a significant downgrade on capacity compared to the multitude of ST tire options in load range E, F and G, same size tire.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/22 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

lawnspecialties wrote:

blt2ski wrote:

Marty

That would make no sense since Cooper doesn't make trailer tires that I've ever seen and a 235-85-16 LT tire would be a significant downgrade on capacity compared to the multitude of ST tire options in load range E, F and G, same size tire.

Hate doing long quotes...BUT.....

An option that might be better, would be 17.5 or 19.5" tires in a 225 width. These are more medium duty tires. A 225&70-19.5 is the same 31.5" as a 235-80-16. But at 3500 - 4000 lbs per tire with an all steel casing, should handle the issues with a dump trailer better than an ST or LT tire.
One thing many of us forget about dump anything's, is the rear most tire(s) get very loaded as your dumping. I've blown out a few tires on a 3599 and my IHC dump flatbeds. I may be ok with the bed down on rear tire capacity. But at 150% as one starts to dump etc as the bed goes up.
Same with my equipment trailer to a degree. As you load it, and in my case, the 6500 lb bobcat is on the rear of trailer, you have many more lbs than my tires 5500 lb capacity can handle. Granted my ramps have built in blocks so the rear doesn't go to the ground. They still can take a beating. Along with those are usually doing the dragging around corners, backing, Jack knifing etc.

A couple points to think about.
On my trailer I went from 15 - 16" and got better miles, years per tire. My single axle mowing trailers did fine with 15" ST tires with approx 2000 lbs per tire, or 6 ply 235-75-15's.

Marty

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/22 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Good points, if the OP wasn’t hand wringing over $10 more per tire. Not sure he’s even remotely interested in re-shoeing the whole trailer in med duty tires and new rims.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/22 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Good points, if the OP wasn’t hand wringing over $10 more per tire. Not sure he’s even remotely interested in re-shoeing the whole trailer in med duty tires and new rims.

Grit,

Being as OP has already ordered new tires, my thoughts are out the door per say...

You're probably correct on not wanting to spend the $100-200 more per tire for the 17.5 or 19.5 tires.

Another size that might work better is a 265-75-16 krE tire. Iirc those are good th 3400 lbs or so. You can find all steel case versions of these along with 235s.

One issue I had not thought of, if backing the trailer over a typical cement curb at higher than base idle speed, that hit to the tire could break the cords due to the point load put on the tires...some wood rams made out of 4x6 or 6x6 material could extend the tire service life some. Then when not jumping curbs, these make great blocks when the trailer is unhooked.

Marty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Load Range F Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.