cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cover for camper while in storage? Yes/no?

qwerty1111
Explorer
Explorer
I have access to uncovered storage. It seems to me campers sitting out in the elements degrade much quicker than those that do not. What are everyones opinions on a cover for the camper?
16 REPLIES 16

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I stored ours outside under an Addco cover for almost 7 years. when we traded it in the guy at the dealership couldnt believe it was 13 years old. it looked better than some 2 year old Tt`s.

Yes, covering it makes a huge difference, it protects the roof as well.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used the same Adco cover for 6 years now. Keep thinking I will need to replace it, but then I put it on again and it's OK. No rubbing from the cover, no mildew, etc. I wash and wax before winter storage, put the cover on and in the spring I am ready to go, the trailer looks like I just washed and waxed it. I would never go a winter without putting the cover on. It is a big job to put it on, so typically I put it on in the fall and off in the spring. I do it by myself and I have a 32' 5th wheel.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Well I've not had the good fortunes with covers.
Took it off in the spring and my God.....the mildew was absolutely horrendous.
Wife and I scrubbed the entire interior for hours. Probably should have used a weed eater.
Ever since we've left uncovered.
I do however rub the trailer down with UV protectant every 2 months.

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has some covers that are 100 Bucks off. Cant go wrong
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
In our community RV lot a walk through in the summer tells which trailers had covers. No yellow, No peeling decal's, no faded siding,
Course that doesn't come for free, covers can be a PITA to put on or take off, and good ones aren't inexpensive

We cover ours, going on 12 years old and decals and outside looks like new. I bought a large "patio" storage bin, put it behind the trailer, drop the cover in when I take it off.

And covers tend to last us around 4 years.

Up to each of us to decide if the benefits are worth the downsides.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A full blown garage/pole barn...sure, if you have one.

Some type of canvas cover...I've seen lots cause damage when even a small section breaks free in a wind storm.

Do a good check before winter, make sure any sketchy sealant is corrected and call it good.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I cover my TT. No damage but itโ€™s an expensive, tight fitting cover with six extra straps. Still shines like almost new. Sun is my number one enemy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For additional posts search this forum for `rv cover' and read on.
We have covered our camper for 19 seasons using a `Sunshield' silver/black tarp that covers the top and part of the sides depending on what size tarp is used. Our 12 x 30 tarp costs around $60 and weighs about 20 lbs. We hold it down with boat fenders partially filled with sand to keep it from flapping. No damage as has sometimes been reported.
If you go with a cover that envelopes the entire RV check the weight to see if you will be able to get it up onto the roof and where you will store it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

I know 3 people that USED TO cover their RV for the winter....

Now they just put a coat of wax to protect it.. All 3 had damage to the RV paint/gelcoat from the cover on the corners..

IF you cover, make sure it is secure and has NO flap, NO chance of rubbing corners
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
any thing to protect it from the sun. my little LTV MH is 12years old has its own garage and looks like new.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Those that insist on not using covers are the same ones asking about finding replacements for their faded decals or deciding to repaint. After 21 years of camping, all of our original decals on our 2003 still look great. And it isnโ€™t from sitting out in the full Central California sun. Daily direct sunlight is terrible for your rv when itโ€™s not being used. Get a cover
E.Lee Galik

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
qwerty1111 wrote:
I have access to uncovered storage. It seems to me campers sitting out in the elements degrade much quicker than those that do not. What are everyones opinions on a cover for the camper?

Depends how much it will be in storage and how many times a year youโ€™re good with installing and removing it.
But presuming you understand that it is only beneficial when itโ€™s covered.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
waste of money--unless it is a pole barn or better.

Lol
How could something that costs a couple hundred bucks and keeps UV and water off of a camper be a waste of money?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
waste of money--unless it is a pole barn or better.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.