cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricanes and traffic jams

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
2.5 million have been ordered to evacuate out of Hurricane Ian's path. Road directions are being reversed to maximize the exodus routes.

If you had plans to go to Georgia and Florida now is not a good time with the hurricane tearing through. It's going to make landfall with sustained windspeeds just a smidge less than a Category 5.

Be aware. Take care. Prayers for all those on the road.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
12 REPLIES 12

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
charlestonsouthern wrote:
NamMedevac, I’m probably telling my age here, but the last part was due to Jeb Bush after Andrew, the very best governor of Florida ever; he even negotiated with the insurance companies so that they would not pull out of Florida in mass. But I think I’m getting off the subject matter here. Moderator, forgive me.

I think you should have directed your comment to the dude from north florida. I was just agreeing with him but it was his comment bubba joe. Therefore you should disagree with him and not me unless you are. Cheers

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac, I’m probably telling my age here, but the last part was due to Jeb Bush after Andrew, the very best governor of Florida ever; he even negotiated with the insurance companies so that they would not pull out of Florida in mass. But I think I’m getting off the subject matter here. Moderator, forgive me.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Philly —- Haaaaaaaaaaaaa! You caught me by surprise! Now, how do I get off the floor from laughing! But you did relieve some of the stress from this storm. Thanks.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
"And Finally we have the best governor in the country who started preparing people days early. A highly experienced emergency action group. Plus the utility companies have been thru this multiple times. And since Andrew the building codes have been reworked to take these storms into account."

Well said

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
By bus, phillyg?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
No worries, Gov. DeSantis just ordered to hurricane to depart for Martha's Vineyard.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Power company contractor is staging their trucks and equipment as far north as Athens, Ga.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The predictions have tightened up. Right now its coming ashore as a cat 2 or 3 at Sarasota, going thru Orlando as a Cat 1 and out around Daytona as a Tropical Storm into the Atlantic and then maybe into the Carolinas.
My brother in law drove to the University of Florida in Gainesville, which is outside the target area to pick up his daughter and take her back to the Cape Canaveral area, which is inside the path yesterday. Said there were monster traffic jams into and out of Gainesville. UF has over 50,000 students and was shut down. Shows you can't out guess these storms days early.

Trying to get into Georgia is just silly IMO, most of Florida is outside the path and will just see a major rain event. And Florida is built for rain events. Sand soil, highly porous, flat terrain, no valleys to concentrate flows into floods, short rivers straight into the oceans to carry away the water.

The Sarasota to Orlando area is in for a tough time from the winds and storm surge around Sarasota to Tampa. But we will survive it. Power outages will be a big problem.

And Finally we have the best governor in the country who started preparing people days early. A highly experienced emergency action group. Plus the utility companies have been thru this multiple times. And since Andrew the building codes have been reworked to take these storms into account.

Personally I've been thru more of these storms than I can count, starting back in Miami in the 1960's. Lived thru every one.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Florida is very Hurricane proactive! They will start ordering shutdowns days in advance.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are headed to Florida today, you must not have been completely off grid with no communications for the last week.

Honestly, if you are in your RV vacationing and just trying to get out now, it's on you for waiting so long.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just heard piece of report of 10 mile long traffic jam to get into Georgia. First thought was WTF! then heard enough to understand leaving Russia

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Gov. DeSantis just said it's too late to evacuate and to hunker down. Prayers and thoughts heading to Florida. I have a nephew that's just outside Tampa. Hoping he had the good sense to leave. Will talk to BIL later to find out.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]